New interconnect options for SDA

2»

Answers

• chandler9a
    chandler9a Posts: 877
    I just got in and checked the wiring for the right speaker. All MW's are connected just as the schematic says. I will keep on brainstorming.
  • chandler9a
    Blade/Blade SRS-2, 3rd generation? If so, verify the ground leads on the stereo and dimensional woofers are correct. Some had Black/Green for the Stereo Harnesses, and Blue/Green for the Dimensional harnesses. Some had Black/White for stereo and Blue/White for Dimensional. Some even had Black/White for Stereo, and Blue/Green for Dimensional. The point is, the grounds or neutrals are different for each harness. If they're mixed up for some reason, the crossovers won't work properly.

I have checked these and they seem to be correct. The bottom dimensional drivers (not the donut drivers) on both speakers have blue/blue going to the + signal and green/green to the -, assuming that the red dot means positive. I can't tell from the schematic if this is correct or not. the schematic I looked at showed the wires pointing one way on the left speaker and another on the right with no + or- signs. Either way, I have them wired identically in the manner stated above.

When I turn the balance all the way to either direction, the stereo drivers are still producing sound, which seems odd to me.

I know these SDA's are unique in that they are the only ones with sub bass drivers on the dimensional side who carry the stereo signal, this seems to make it a little harder for me to figure out.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    red dot is positive
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    chandler9a wrote: »
    Blade/Blade SRS-2, 3rd generation? If so, verify the ground leads on the stereo and dimensional woofers are correct. Some had Black/Green for the Stereo Harnesses, and Blue/Green for the Dimensional harnesses. Some had Black/White for stereo and Blue/White for Dimensional. Some even had Black/White for Stereo, and Blue/Green for Dimensional. The point is, the grounds or neutrals are different for each harness. If they're mixed up for some reason, the crossovers won't work properly.

I have checked these and they seem to be correct. The bottom dimensional drivers (not the donut drivers) on both speakers have blue/blue going to the + signal and green/green to the -, assuming that the red dot means positive. I can't tell from the schematic if this is correct or not. the schematic I looked at showed the wires pointing one way on the left speaker and another on the right with no + or- signs. Either way, I have them wired identically in the manner stated above.

When I turn the balance all the way to either direction, the stereo drivers are still producing sound, which seems odd to me.

I know these SDA's are unique in that they are the only ones with sub bass drivers on the dimensional side who carry the stereo signal, this seems to make it a little harder for me to figure out.

My quote only applies to the 3rd gen SRS-2s, nothing to do with your 2.3s.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • chandler9a
    Okay good to know, I know there are so many variables here. I just have to figure out whats going on with the right channel. My only thought at this point is the crossovers need to be redone, which I was going to have done at some point anyway.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited March 2018
    I just tried it without the interconnect and the right channel does the same exact thing either way. Could there be something wrong with the crossovers?
    When I turn the balance all the way to either direction, the stereo drivers are still producing sound
    SDA interconnect cable disconnected, and you have sound from the opposite-channel speaker with the balance knob all the way to the other side?

Balance pot needs cleaning/adjusting/replacement. Or the amplifier has a crosstalk/channel separation problem. Either way, not a speaker problem.
  • chandler9a
    interesting, I guess I never thought of that. I am running an adcom GFP 750 and a B&K Ref 200.2.

The reason I thought is was the speaker is because I have used these components with other SDAs and never had this type of problem. The other speakers were a pair of modded 1Cs, modded 1.2TL and stock SRS 2s blade/blade.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Nah, you've got a problem with that pair of speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk