Help with NUC storage options

I just bought a NUC5i5RYK from Ebay mainly because I got a killer price on it. It has the "K" letter designation which I didn't understand until later
So evidently the only hard drive option I have is M.2 but there are all kinds of different M.2 bus types it looks like. SATA, PCIe, blah blah blah. So can someone look at the info link and tell me what my options are?
https://ark.intel.com/products/83254/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC5i5RYK
2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    There is no internal storage expansion options with the NUC, just get a USB 3 (USB Blue) Western Digital external USB3 passport for your music

Is that what you are asking??
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    Well I realize I'm a little behind on this type of technology, but there are internal storage options....Basically an M.2 type but I'm just not sure what the MB interface is, whether SATA, PCIe, both, neither, something else?
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • txcoastal1
    Here's my portable INUC system for music for shows
    wk2myz9s2u8d.jpg
    s6mbwy0zx2pj.jpg

Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    An m.2 Sata will work just fine
  • dragon1952
    nbrowser wrote: »
    DollarDave wrote: »

Yep, just stay away from PCIe or nVME M.2 sticks and your golden.

Any particular reason?
  • dragon1952

Cool...thanks, so I can use M.2 SATA.
  • txcoastal1
    dragon1952 wrote: »

Cool...thanks, so I can use M.2 SATA.

Yes, sorry, mine is an older version

• dragon1952
    edited March 2018

Any particular reason?

M.2 SATA is more compatible with much more systems than PCIe or nVME. Most if not all systems will address and use a SATA mode M.2 stick...take a PCIe or nVME stick and place it into a SATA mode only slot and it won't work. In other words...should be compatible without fussing.

So looking at the manual mine says under 'Expansion Options',
    1. M.2 Card Slot (storage) - M.2 Card Slot (storage) indicates presence of an M.2 slot that's keyed for storage expansion cards
    2. PCI Express Configurations - PCI Express (PCIe) Configurations describe the available PCIe lane configurations that can be used to link the PCH PCIe lanes to PCIe devices.

and nowhere does is use the term 'SATA', 'AHCI' or 'NVMe'. So do I assume #1 is an M.2 SATA slot where I can use an M.2 SATA SSD but then I can also use under #2 an M.2 PCIe SSD, and if I can use a PCIe is it AHCI or NVMe? And then they mention M.2 cards having B key, M key and M and B edge connectors.
    It just seems to me they give the users of these things way too much credit for their knowledge levels. I guess they figure anyone buying a barebones PC knows WTF they are doing and can read between the lines. We're supposed to automatically know that a "K' suffice is M.2 only and that an 'H' means you can use a regular 2.5" drive? Crimeny, I'm from an IT background and even I'm confused.
    EDIT: Here's an example of what you get when you Google the subject,

"So which M.2 SSD Drive do I need?
    If you are planning to upgrade your system with a larger or brand new M.2 SSD, you are going to need to figure out several things:

1. Whether your system supports M.2 SATA or M.2 PCIe
    2. If it is M.2 PCIe, whether it's PCIe x2 or PCIe x4
    3. The type of key supported by the socket
    4. The maximum length of SSD drive supported (from 42mm up to 110mm)
    Using the above tables and your system manual, you should be able to figure out which kind of drive you have now and the appropriate upgrade path. The information below can help narrow down the choices for you."

So, these first 2 I'm still unclear about
    1. I "think" from looking at my manual that mine supports both M.2 SATA and M.2 PCIe but it's still unclear because SATA isn't mentioned and I'm not sure if the PCIe expansion slot actually supports an SSD.
    2. If it does support PCIe it looks like it's the x 4.
    These next 2 I think I know
    3. It looks like the key type is 'M'.
    4. Length appears to be 22x42, 22x60, or 22x80
    Post edited by dragon1952 on
  • dragon1952
    edited March 2018
    Thanks. I eventually ran across this where they used a PCIe SSD so I guess I have my answer that it can use either the SATA or the PCIe/nVME.
    http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-kit-nuc5i5ryk-review-broadwell-comes-nuc_158261/3
  • nbrowser wrote: »

Any particular reason?

M.2 SATA is more compatible with much more systems than PCIe or nVME. Most if not all systems will address and use a SATA mode M.2 stick...take a PCIe or nVME stick and place it into a SATA mode only slot and it won't work. In other words...should be compatible without fussing.

His version suppoorts NVME and PCI-E M.2 which can and usually are much quicker than SATA versions of M.2