Anyone else receive this letter from PS Audio re: counterfeit AC-12 PCs

2»

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    The real question here is do the fakes work as well as the authentic cables? I haven’t heard anyone complaining yet about that part.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    delkal wrote: »
    It’s NOT certain these are knockoffs

Innocent until proven guilty

AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    BlueFox wrote: »
    The real question here is do the fakes work as well as the authentic cables? I haven’t heard anyone complaining yet about that part.

They are the ones that say "cables don't matter."
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Maybe, but why would they buy them if they didn’t think they mattered?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    The biggest problem with these fakes is it totally kills the resale value on their products. And whatever PS audio does is not going to change that.

You buy a cord for $800. Then for what ever reason you want to sell it later. A quick search on Ebay shows a bunch for $150 (from China).

Its certain these are knockoffs but no one will trust you with your authentic one either. Even if it is already in America.

I might not either!

This is very true. I’ve been leery of buying these used, and whats even worse is when asking for proof of purchase from an authorized dealer, the seller gets upset :worried:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764

That is a good question. A lot of the fakes from China are made at the same factory and some even use the same materials (material costs for something like this is at most 5-10%). The factory makes the run for the contract but then keeps making them. Yes they are counterfeit but they could be the same.

You would have to take it apart to find out.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477

That is a good question. A lot of the fakes from China are made at the same factory and some even use the same materials (material costs for something like this is at most 5-10%). The factory makes the run for the contract but then keeps making them. Yes they are counterfeit but they could be the same.

You would have to take it apart to find out.

Very true. I do not know about PS Audio but Audioquest stated to me that is the prime reason they do all packaging in the United States. If it comes in a bag it's counterfeit, now it could very well be the exact cable or not. In the past i bought used cables (diamondback) on eBay. There were 3 pair one cable had one of the wires come loose from the RCA. In looking at the cable from the other pairs all wires looked the same, same colored jackets same everything. When i sent that cable to AQ to be reterminated they somehow determined it was counterfeit and bye bye cable. They were less than helpful when i asked if there was a way for us in consumer land to be able to tell. Later down the road i did by more diamondbacks from a legitimate source and they looked exactly the same as the other 5 cables i had. So once again i was left wondering HOW one could tell?
    The one tidbit i did get from Audioquest at the time was everything was made/sourced in the USA and shipped to China for assembly.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Maybe, but why would they buy them if they didn’t think they mattered?

Thinking was they thought they'd try a cable, got a bogus one and determined that the cable differences were bunk.