LSi25 mods

Options
I was Thinking about things to upgrade in my system, as I have pretty much purchased the best equipments I could ever afford (aside from my CD player, but I don’t have many cds at this point so that is no big deal), and then I realized that I have yet to upgrade my speakers. I know that I can do mods to the subs, and the crossovers, and other various components, but I don’t know exactly what I should upgrade. I was thinking about upgrading the subs first, but I don’t know what to upgrade first. Also, one of the sub amps are broken, so my plan with that was to buy one upgrade sub driver, then wait for the other amp to fail. Then at that point I would buy another driver and another Crown XLi 800 amplifier, which is what I use for my mains (and I love) to drive those subs. (Or maybe I could get a used high end home audio power amp, and use the one I already have for the subs...)
I also need more suggestions on what else I could upgrade, because while I know a good bit about these speakers specs, drivers, and etc. I don’t know a tone about them on the inside.
Anyway, overall questions are:
What should I upgrade?
I know I want to upgrade the subwoofers, but what drivers/amps should I get (if I don’t go the Crown amp route)?
Are there different drivers for the top section that were designed to upgrade these speakers?

Thanks for any replies and help,
Micah

P.S. I couldn’t find any threads regarding this, but if there is one, if someone links it I can read that and not waste anyone’s time with this thread.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Options
    Hi Micah,
    When Polk designed the LSi25's bass section they were able to measure the frequency response of that particular woofer in that specific enclosure with the power port and then with that information have a specific EQ built into the bass amplifier so that the result would have a relatively even frequency response and mate well with the midrange/bass drivers. The amplifier was tuned to the specifics of the woofer, cabinet and port. Because of this it would be best to try and get your amplifier repaired. There seems to be someone on eBay who is able to fix them.
    As far as general modifications to the speaker, about the only practical approach would be to change the individual parts on the crossover, substituting different resistors and capacitors for the stock devices. Replacing tweeters and drivers is going to be extremely difficult and still have the original good qualities of the speaker.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    Oh ok, I didn’t think about the fact that’s they would’ve tuned the amp and driver and enclosure and port to work perfectly with the EQ, so you are right, I should probably repair the sub amp. I may try and do the replacement of the components on my crossover, but upon taking the speakers apart I’m not so sure that they are stock.
    I wasn’t planning on replacing drivers and tweeters but I thought I might as well ask if there was a driver that Polk made to be a specific replacement designed to have the same specs but sound better overall.
    Do you think it would still be a good idea to upgrade the sub drivers?
    Thanks again,
    Micah