Anyone else receive this letter from PS Audio re: counterfeit AC-12 PCs

Counterfeit AC-12 2.0M Cables
Dear PS Audio Customer:

We understand you purchased a PS Audio AC-12 2.0M Power Cable from James Allen, who lives in Holland, Michigan. If you did so, there is a possibility that your PS Audio AC-12 2.0M Power Cable is counterfeit. PS Audio filed a lawsuit against Mr. Allen in the United States District Court for the District of Colorado, Civil Action No. 1:18-cv-00206-STV, for selling counterfeit PS Audio Power Cables. In this lawsuit, PS Audio claims that Mr. Allen’s sale of counterfeit PS Audio Power Cables repeatedly violated the Lanham Act.

A counterfeit product does not in any way represent the fine quality offered by authentic PS Audio gear. You are receiving this email because you purchased a PS Audio AC-12 Power Cable from a seller who may not have been an authorized PS Audio dealer

PS Audio would like to thank you for your interest in our products. We are—and always will be—committed to your positive customer experience. For this reason, Each and every customer who bought a PS Audio AC-12 2.0M Power Cable (or multiple) that is presumed counterfeit is receiving this email.

To be clear, you did nothing wrong. We simply feel bad that you were taken advantage of when trying to purchase PS Audio products. But, never fear, we’re going to make this right by you.

We want to fix this. As we conclude a lengthy and extensive legal process, our goals are to—

Prohibit future illicit sales anywhere in the Domestic or International Marketplace.
Disrupt the counterfeit-process on the supply-side. And, most importantly…
Get you guys some replacements free of charge as a way of saying thanks for your patience.

PS Audio is the designer of these cables, and it’s our job to make sure the marketplace is free of nefarious counterfeiters.

Additionally, we must get these bad cables off the street, and we must get proper cables in your system. If you purchased multiple, we will replace multiple.

In order to complete this process, we will need just a little info from you. Here’s the scoop:

Please reply to this email (to service@psaudio.com) with the invoice you for your PS Audio AC-12 Power Cable.
We will write you an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization).
Please return the cable(s) to us here in Boulder.
Once received, we will prove it’s a counterfeit and send out your replacement.

This process will take some time to complete: we will not be able to ship your authentic replacement until July 2018.

Our customers come first, and we wish to thank you for putting your trust in us. On behalf of PS Audio, please accept our sincere apology for letting this happen! And please accept our apology for any negative listening experience which may have arisen as a result. We can do better, and with your kind permission, we’d like to make this right.

We look forward to your reply email, and please do not hesitate to call should you have any questions, comments, or concerns.

All the best, from your PS Audio Customer Service Team,

Customer Service Team | PS Audio
4826 Sterling Drive, Boulder, CO 80301
Ph 866-406-8946 | Direct 720-402-3941 ext 2
www.psaudio.com | service@psaudio.com
AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
Pre Cary SLP-05
Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
Mains Salk HT2-TL
Rythmik F12

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited March 2018
    Nope I have not, but all my cables are AC-3s, and were from Music Direct baring 3, but I have the sales receipt..... so I should probably check it for the company lol.

**edit** Company from the invoice is Audio video Logic @mrbiron
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Wow. That's a shame. Pretty good that PS Audio reached out to you in order to make things right.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    verb wrote: »
    Wow. That's a shame. Pretty good that PS Audio reached out to you in order to make things right.

Yeah, I'd call that gesture great CS!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Every experience I've ever had with PS Audio, from a customer service standpoint, has been nothing less than great. Shows great integrity on their part in doing this.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited March 2018
    First and foremost I want to be clear that PS Audio makes some fantastic power related gear, such as power cords and their customer service is beyond excellent.

Unfortunately, like many other companies have been pretty much forced to do, they moved their manufacturing to China. Since doing so it's been fairly common knowledge that the Chinese were either making counterfeit PS Audio power cords and/or slipping real ones out the back door. That is a serious problem for any company as it makes the consumer question whether the product is the real deal, which in turn hurts sales, which in turn hurts profits. My understanding is PS Audio plans to return the manufacturing of their power cords to Boulder at some point. This action is likely a much needed step in that direction.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The problem still persists on Ebay and has for many years now. Used to be the fake cords were imported but now one can buy direct from China.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Yep, plenty of PS Audio power cords located in China on Ebay.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • EndersShadow
    Yup I’m picky about buying their stuff or Kimber. I try to get a copy of the original invoice to see if they are an authorized dealer
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • kharp1
    F1nut wrote: »
    First and foremost I want to be clear that PS Audio makes some fantastic power related gear, such as power cords and their customer service is beyond excellent.

Unfortunately, like many other companies have been pretty much forced to do, they moved their manufacturing to China. Since doing so it's been fairly common knowledge that the Chinese were either making counterfeit PS Audio power cords and/or slipping real ones out the back door. That is a serious problem for any company as it makes the consumer question whether the product is the real deal, which in turn hurts sales, which in turn hurts profits. My understanding is PS Audio plans to return the manufacturing of their power cords to Boulder at some point. This action is likely a much needed step in that direction.

Much of their gear is made in Boulder, CO, so that blanket statement can be misleading. They try hard to make as much stuff in house as possible.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    I think their higher end power plants/regenerators are made here, but the lower end stuff and maybe the cables aren't. The Dectet I bought was stamped Made in China on the bottom.
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Much of their gear is made in Boulder, CO, so that blanket statement can be misleading. They try hard to make as much stuff in house as possible.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    kharp1 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

They moved most, if not all, to China years ago. Only recently have they started making things in Boulder again.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    Most of the things they sell now are made in Boulder save a couple of things.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Yep, plenty of PS Audio power cords located in China on Ebay.

As well as Audioquest cables and others made in China. It is a big problem
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Nope I have not, but all my cables are AC-3s, and were from Music Direct baring 3, but I have the sales receipt..... so I should probably check it for the company lol.

Dan, you're safe. Audio Video Logic is my buddy Mike's shop up here. We will go over there next time you're up here.
    He has a good relationship with PS Audio.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    This has to be costly for PS Audio, Tip of the Hat to them for trying to makes things right.
  • EndersShadow
    edited March 2018
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

Dan, you're safe. Audio Video Logic is my buddy Mike's shop up here. We will go over there next time you're up here.

Yup I remembered. I was mentioning it as @mrbiron and I went in on a deal of 4 AC-3s and I sent him one of the them but forgot to include a copy of the invoice.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited March 2018
    I never knew PS Audio was in my neck of the woods. I like to support my local shops, gonna look through their product lines and see if there's anything that jumps out at me. Hmmmm, I definitely need a couple power cables at least.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

Yup I remembered. I was mentioning it as @mrbiron and I went in on a deal of 4 AC-3s and I sent him one of the them but forgot to include a copy of the invoice.

It’s cool.
    Fake or not, daddy likes a thick cord........wait..... :flushed:
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • motorhead43026
    edited March 2018
    Was it 2-3 years ago when Music Direct had a half price sale on PS audio power cables. It was like a feeding frenzy around here. I know I purchased several, enough to do my whole system. Plus a Dectet @ half price.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• EndersShadow
    Was it 2-3 years ago when Music Direct had a half price sale on PS audio power cables. It was like a feeding frenzy around here. I know I purchased several, enough to do my whole system. Plus a Dectet @ half price.

Yup..... I've got AC-3's up to my eyeballs and I'd still like to have more in my closet lol....

All my gear is using them, but I want like 4 extras just because.... and maybe a AC-5 to try on my B&K
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    You'll have to let me know if you ever feel like selling a few of them, I've been looking to dip my feet into aftermarket PCs for a while now.
    Yup..... I've got AC-3's up to my eyeballs and I'd still like to have more in my closet lol....

• EndersShadow
    Clipdat wrote: »
    You'll have to let me know if you ever feel like selling a few of them, I've been looking to dip my feet into aftermarket PCs for a while now.

Will do.... But not likely. I didn’t buy enough from Music Direct initially and it’s taken me about 2 years to fix my mistake lol.

They don’t come up for sale often or cheaply for a reason
  • motorhead43026
    ^^I regret not buying more @ the time. I doubt there will ever be another opportunity like that last blowout.

• EndersShadow
    edited March 2018
    @Clipdat

I’ve heard good things about Cullen cables too and they are cheaper stock than PS Audio lol. Woreworld is also good stuff!

Even cheaper alternatives are Signal Cable and Pangea.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    @Clipdat

I’ve heard good things about Cullen cables too and they are cheaper stock than PS Audio lol

Patrick is good people, Doug too ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    This has to be costly for PS Audio, Tip of the Hat to them for trying to makes things right.

Most likely they will attempt to recover every penny from the defendant in the lawsuit. Hope they win!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    The biggest problem with these fakes is it totally kills the resale value on their products. And whatever PS audio does is not going to change that.

You buy a cord for $800. Then for what ever reason you want to sell it later. A quick search on Ebay shows a bunch for $150 (from China).

Its certain these are knockoffs but no one will trust you with your authentic one either. Even if it is already in America.

I might not either!

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Audioquest warns of fakes too... when I bought my Wels used, I went through a lot of hoops to get AQ to authenticate them in Irvine California.

The difference is AQ destroys any fake you send them... whether or not the fault is yours.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • EndersShadow
    delkal wrote: »
    The biggest problem with these fakes is it totally kills the resale value on their products. And whatever PS audio does is not going to change that.

You buy a cord for $800. Then for what ever reason you want to sell it later. A quick search on Ebay shows a bunch for $150 (from China).

Its certain these are knockoffs but no one will trust you with your authentic one either. Even if it is already in America.

I might not either!

Yup, which is why with my used Kimber and PS Audio purchases, I've asked for a redacted copy of the sales invoice, and if they dont have it, I would have thought long and hard about purchasing, and then authenticated them.

Not sure if PS Audio does this, but I know Audioquest and Kimber do.

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    delkal wrote: »

Its certain these are NOT knockoffs, but no one will trust you with your authentic one either. Even if it is already in America.
    I would have thought long and hard about purchasing, and then authenticated them.

Not sure if PS Audio does this, but I know Audioquest and Kimber do.

Indeed, PSA does authenticate
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12