Marantz 2238 receiver rebuild

Ya...spring isn't here yet so I need more to do. My son's Marantz is going to get a recap.

It's mainly just dusty! I don't see much for corrosion anywhere.

eyc468vozxh8.jpg
4nvmwjbgi1e1.jpg
of6b0grx0zss.jpg
Aaron
Enabler Extraordinaire

Comments

• ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    edited March 2018
    She's done and it still works! Nothing major - all caps replaced and rebiased.

q9165ncj42wq.jpg
    2yq2b8vmcmxb.jpg
    r027q6qkfcml.jpg
    m8depmu2nqdv.jpg
    pnkzbb2kecd4.jpg
    k1vb2e6whc7p.jpg
    9f4787pc8irg.jpg

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited March 2018
    Looks like there's room in there for a motorized remote controlled volume pot. :*
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ALL212
    edited March 2018
    F1nut wrote: »
    Looks like there's room in there for a motorized remote controlled volume pot. :*

Damn you, Jesse :o ... I even looked now to see if there was room...NO! Gotta quit before I do screw something up. but thanks for the idea, I think...
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    You got skills

x0t8f8nh1q2e.gif
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • ALL212
    For the wizards out there... Was there a machine that did the wire wrap? That is a seriously secure connection. I had no idea...
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • F1nut
    ALL212 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

Damn you, Jesse :o ... I even looked now to see if there was room...NO! Gotta quit before I do screw something up. but thanks for the idea, I think...

You have to remove the current pot and replace with the motorized version. How much space is there between the bottom of the pot and the bottom cover?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    ALL212 wrote: »
    For the wizards out there... Was there a machine that did the wire wrap? That is a seriously secure connection. I had no idea...

Yes

President of Club Polk

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Or sell it to me as is. Seriously.
  • ALL212
    No sale on this one. Belongs to my son.

But I am watching for one to operate on
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    Nice project! Marantz are pretty easy to work on. I couldn’t stop noticing the cloth covered wire on the main filters. Are you into guitar amp as well? I used the same type on tweed deluxe build :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    There are wire wrap unwrapping tools made.
  • ALL212
    cortico wrote: »
    Nice project! Marantz are pretty easy to work on. I couldn’t stop noticing the cloth covered wire on the main filters. Are you into guitar amp as well? I used the same type on tweed deluxe build :)

I've got a couple of spools of the stuff. It's got a rubber coating, then cloth. I like it on the bottlehead kits I build. It's a fairly heavy gauge and works well in the PS section. Easy to strip - easy to form...

There are wire wrap unwrapping tools made.

Well... that would just take all the fun out of this now wouldn't it! If I make a career out of this that might come in handy. The wire is almost worthless after unwinding it (winding a round wire over a square peg really puts some weak spots in it) so I check length before removal just in case.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Kingrat
    Kingrat Posts: 74
    I recapped an old, really pretty old Pioneer receiver for a friend a few years ago. I owed him a favor and it turned out fine, except I saw when I had it opened up that the dial cord was about to go, and I wasn't going to touch it. He had to take it to some old guy up near Ann Arbor to get it replaced. It was a lot of money, but he did it amazingly quickly, my friend watched him do it and said it was like watching a machine.
    Cable atheist: They're just trying to get your money like a TV preacher!
    Vinyl system: I'm long done with the snap, crackle, and pop.