Tax season is here

Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,505
So, who's excited?
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Can't get blood from a turnip.....
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Why would I be excited to pay several thousand dollars in taxes?
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    No rush to file ours, I like waiting to the last minute to pay someone, to tell me I owe on both state and federal, nothing to look forward to here. What are you getting with your refund Joey?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Our refunds paid for the last of the materials to finish construction on the basement.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    My taxes are going up, no excitement here.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Wish i knew. Waiting on a corrected W2 so i can gets my moola.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Joey_V
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    No rush to file ours, I like waiting to the last minute to pay someone, to tell me I owe on both state and federal, nothing to look forward to here. What are you getting with your refund Joey?

A refund?

Hahahahahaha

I’m getting bent over this tax season.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    we're filed -- as always, any refunds go into estimated taxes for next year. :|
    Two states to worry about, since my teaching gig's in MA.
    NH has no income tax -- which is good! -- but they do tax some other things, e.g., out of state investment income.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Our refunds paid for the last of the materials to finish construction on the basement.

See ya Saturday morning to put those materials into place.
  • Joey_V
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »
    So, who's excited?

Dude...if you get excited about tax paperwork...you need to reboot into Life 2.0...it's much like life 1.0 but tax time sucks ! lol

We done with taxes as of today, I received word from my accountant as of the damage.

One word:

Catastrophic
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited March 2018
    We done with taxes as of today, I received word from my accountant as of the damage.

One word:

Catastrophic

You should have itemized your cables. :p
  • Joey_V
    Viking64 wrote: »

One word:

Catastrophic

Nothing can save me.
  • Joey_V
    edited March 2018
    So, who's excited?

Dude...if you get excited about tax paperwork...you need to reboot into Life 2.0...it's much like life 1.0 but tax time sucks ! lol

One word:

Catastrophic

I'm gonna guess...income...parents house, and possibly other things making am mess of the paperwork?

I witheld taxes for my monthly paychecks and claimed zero. Still, I’m negative. I expected destruction but I didn’t expect annihilation.

Next year is better as I have a final K1 coming on some investment that’ll offset income.

But yeah, if I hear one more commercial on TV about HR Block “Refund Season” or that new Hamm commercial about refund advance, I’ll punch my TV.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127

One word:

Catastrophic

Nothing can save me.

You need a more creative accountant. Boulder amps = educational materials, for an example. You are teaching your children music appreciation, anyone can plainly see that.
  • lightman1
    So, who's excited?

One word:

Catastrophic

I'm gonna guess...income...parents house, and possibly other things making am mess of the paperwork?

I paid all my taxes and claimed zero. Still, I’m negative. I expected destruction but I didn’t expect annihilation.

Next year is better as I have a final K1 coming on some investment that’ll offset income.

But yeah, if I hear one more commercial on TV about HR Block “Refund Season” or that new Hamm commercial about refund advance, I’ll punch my TV.

Shoot it.....most effective and saves your manual dexterity for your day job.
  • mhardy6647
    lightman1 wrote: »

https://youtu.be/YAlDbP4tdqc
  • lightman1
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »

https://youtu.be/YAlDbP4tdqc

Poignant......then versus now.
  • Joey_V
    rpf65 wrote: »

One word:

Catastrophic

Nothing can save me.

You need a more creative accountant. Boulder amps = educational materials, for an example. You are teaching your children music appreciation, anyone can plainly see that.

You should be my accountant.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Not looking forward to it. I am paying double in taxes now than what I was making when I bought my house in 1990. Had to pay a penality last year for not withholding enough, and expect the same this year.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Would this be a bad time to ask for a refund on the gear I just bought? :)
  • Joey_V
    edited March 2018
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Would this be a bad time to ask for a refund on the gear I just bought? :)

Lol... yes. Totalled despite all my tax withholdings for the year, I still owe the government a luxury car so I would say a refund would not be advisable on the Directstreams!
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Owe a couple K. Better to pay than give Uncle Sam an interest free loan.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Im wondering after our recent 'tax reform' how much more or less I will owe next year.
  • Joey_V
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Im wondering after our recent 'tax reform' how much more or less I will owe next year.

I think I owe less next year according to my accountant.
  • mhardy6647
    The nice thing is that the overall tax rate in the US is still pretty reasonable -- not like 1960s England, which drove many of its rock stars into exile due to draconian tax rates. Of course, we probably wouldn't have had the Rolling Stones' absolute best albums were that not the case.

One may recall this jaunty little ditty from the era:

https://youtu.be/y8OgkjcW0g4

"One for you, nineteen for me" = 95% tax rate.

The only big problem is "interest and penalties" for some taxpayers whose exploits might incur same.

Always better to overpay, but only a little bit, I'd opine.

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Taxes done 2 weeks ago. I owe because of lots of backpay and severance buy out. My wife got a good refund.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453

Man, you need to let me do your taxes for you...I'll get you the hook up!
  • Joey_V

I don’t think anyone could help me.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640

I don’t think anyone could help me.

Better to have a tax problem than an income problem I always say...
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,199
    Well, Joey, you've come to the right place for solutions to your taxes.

The annual gift tax exclusion is currently $14,000 per year, per person. This applies to monetary gifts, as well as to the fair market value of gifted property. You can give up to this amount to as many people you'd like every year, and the federal government won't tax one cent.

So there you have it. I imagine that there may be a few Polkies willing to step up and accept a gift of $14,000 if it helps to lower your tax burden because, darn it, that's just the way we are ! o:)
    Sal Palooza