Exploring LP’s

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Exploring Lp's huh.

You don't explore LP's.....they explore you. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    tonyb wrote: »
    Exploring Lp's huh.

You don't explore LP's.....they explore you. :)

eww -- that sound like some sort of alien abduction thing.
    Might be OK with a 7" 45 -- but please no LPs.

;)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    No alien thing Doc. LP'S explore you in many ways.....your hearing, patience, your marriage, your wallet....darn things will know more about you than you do. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    There are -- depending upon who is doing the estimation -- somewhere in the neighborhood of 3000 of those black plastic disks in various boxes, shelves, nooks & crannies around here... so, yeah, I do know about most of those things.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Holograms from Star Wars Soundtrack records? B)
    https://youtu.be/aEbAaL7fPl4
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2018
    Tony M wrote: »

Jeepers! ... and now dope is legal in so many places... soon no one will get anything done, and the robots will take over without having to fire a shot.

oh wow, man...

(PS That album hologram really is cool)
    Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited March 2018

I have had this one for a couple of months. Pretty cool the first time but then meh....

I also have a Rush 2112 in which the star man logo (some think pentagram) is holographic and appears to be 3D. To me the Rush 2112 is better because I enjoy the music more.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Tony M
    I have a bowl that if you put a ring in it, it makes the ring appear up above the bowl.
    The bowl is lined with a mirror finish. It boggles my mind how real it looks floating in the air.

I'm sure music matters along with the Holograms.
    Rush's 2112 hologram. B) Thanks,
  • Alan_r
    Alan_r Posts: 164
    Putting the cart before the horse scenario. I'm like that too sometimes. :D

But Sailing...?...I can't take a small off shore gambling boat cruise without 6-meclizine tabs on hand. I've wondered how people like yourself can take all that rocking 24 hrs. a day. I'm sure there are some smooth sailing days and anchoring days but how many could there be...?

Sailing is a whole different way of life FOR SURE! B)

It’s an acquired taste. You get used to it. I’ve been sailing up and down the East Coast for most of my life. Parents were into it so I guess the drive was passed down. Always sailed whenever I was stationed near water. Now I’m retired from the Army so I can focus on living as free as I can.

Anyway, sill not listening to my records. The turntable arrived broken. It was packed well and partially disassembled in its original boxes. Nonetheless, it looks like the tone arm weight has broken off. The plastic “dowl” that it slides onto is broken jaggedly off. Then the plastic dial that fits over the weight is broken into a few pieces. So into the parts manuals I go tracking down parts for a 30+ year old turntable. Not a good first experience. mceud34akhca.jpeg
    3gqo4qzjwfl0.jpeg
    7eyf8v4vgw7v.jpeg

• Alan_r
    I guess it wouldn’t have mattered anyway, I just realized the NAD PP-2i I had bought came with the incorrect power supply so I couldn’t have used it anyway. The NAD C326Bee I bought for this system has no phono input. The gods of music are not making this easy.
  • Tony M
    Yep, children do follow their parents ways most of the time. I'm glad you've been able to keep sailing throughout the years and into retirement. That's awsome.

The new to you TT...That sucks. I hope you get all your money back and the seller gets insurance money because of the way that TT arrived to you.

I was hoping for your review to be a positive one right from the start. That's not going to happen now. Wow, what a letdown. What is going on with the shipping these days?!

Good luck finding parts.
  • Alan_r
    Great.......looking at the parts/service manual. That plastic dowl that the balance weight attached to is part of the entire tone arm itself. Looks like

SFPWG13201K

and

SFPAM13201K
  • Alan_r
    Yep, children do follow their parents ways most of the time. I'm glad you've been able to keep sailing throughout the years and into retirement. That's awsome.

The new to you TT...That sucks. I hope you get all your money back and the seller gets insurance money because of the way that TT arrived to you.

I was hoping for your review to be a positive one right from the start. That's not going to happen now. Wow, what a letdown. What is going on with the shipping these days?!

Good luck finding parts.

Yeah no kidding. This wasn’t a “professional” type sale and I did get a good deal on it therefore no refunds or insurance, but to be honest I had a pretty nasty reaction to the whole situation that is best kept within the confines of my head. To say that my adventure into analog sound has been a frustrating one would be an understatement.

Given the jagged edge of the break, I’m quite confident it can be fixed with epoxy. But the thought that it’s not right will always be in the back of my head, possibly affecting my opinion of the whole table.

As of right now, the whole thing along with the records are in a closet where they will stay until my initial impulse to throw it into the trash subsides. There is no way the seller could have staged this and he did pack it very well in its original box with original foam, bubble wrapped and disassembled. Not his fault. What’s going on with USPS? Lowest starting wages result in lowest common denominator providing the service. I’ve had brand new subwoofers left in the middle of my yard while raining because I guess it was too heavy to carry the additional 10’ to the covered porch.

Anyway, I’ll casually keep an eye out for the two replacement parts I need. A quick search showed even the substitutes from Panasonic are discontinued. So used it will likely be. The real question becomes “how much do you spend to repair something compared to what it can be bought for completely”. As of this minute, given my current plans, that cost is too high so inevitably my foray into analog sound has come to an end.

• Tony M
    Sorry about no refund coming your way. :(:'(

I like the idea of maybe epoxying it back on IF that pivot gimbal isn't compromised.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Technics-SL-1200-SL-1210-MK2-MK5-Tonearm-Tone-arm-Bracket-pivot-Mount-section/262323426429.

It just might work and work fine. I'd try it on that TT. Not a cheap one but that one you have is no cheapo and worth a chance I think.

Keep us posted, OK?

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I wouldn't be comfortable epoxying it back together. It might be okay but if it's off a bit or moves around the stylus could end up digging into your records at an off angle, possibly also ruining the stylus. That's just me though, like I said it might work fine.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Alan_r
    edited March 2018
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I wouldn't be comfortable epoxying it back together. It might be okay but if it's off a bit or moves around the stylus could end up digging into your records at an off angle, possibly also ruining the stylus. That's just me though, like I said it might work fine.

That’s kinda where I’m at as well. I’m pretty good at fixing things, but I repair things using proper parts. We had this thing in the Army called “BDAR- battle damage assessment & repair”. Basically you used whatever’s handy to patch something together and keep it in the fight. I’d rather not apply that to my hi-fi. This is supposed to bring pleasure, not frustration. When you’re P.O’d, it’s time to walk away for awhile. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on), that “awhile” may take me past the time I’ve got here.

1400mkii’s in nice condition (and this ones damn near flawless except right near he broken part, including a flawless shell) are going for $300-$400. I paid half that.

Thankfully, my other systems are working beautifully. Replaced the relays in the NAD 2700 and boy does it sing.Repaired C326Bee in another room with some PSB Alpha B1’s is doing well too. So two success’ to one failure. Not so bad I guess.
  • Alan_r

I like the idea of maybe epoxying it back on IF that pivot gimbal isn't compromised.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Technics-SL-1200-SL-1210-MK2-MK5-Tonearm-Tone-arm-Bracket-pivot-Mount-section/262323426429.

It just might work and work fine. I'd try it on that TT. Not a cheap one but that one you have is no cheapo and worth a chance I think.

Keep us posted, OK?

Tony, if I don’t get this fixed by the time I leave. I’ll give it to you for free. Parts for yours. I’m not going to store a broken record player. I’m still deciding if I’m even going to keep my other stuff. Might just sell all of it and start over whenever, if ever, I come back.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Where are you located?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    Where are you located?

I was wonderin' that too :)
  • Tony M
    Alan_r wrote: »

Keep us posted, OK?

Tony, if I don’t get this fixed by the time I leave. I’ll give it to you for free. Parts for yours. I’m not going to store a broken record player. I’m still deciding if I’m even going to keep my other stuff. Might just sell all of it and start over whenever, if ever, I come back.

I just looked at the pictures again and thought, you should try some kind of glue. It might be an easy fix like we thought. THEN I noticed you wrote the NAD2-PPi pre you bought came with a wrong power supply. Man what bad luck. You're right, this record playing journey is fighting you all the way. I might even call it fate. Fate has dealt me a lot of blows and I've fought my way through them or just accepted them and tried to heal fast.

There might be a member who has a correct power supply for you. Tell us the volts and milli-amps it uses and the socket configuration and let's see.I can look on the web in a minute too.

As far as a gift on your TT. Let's see how glue holds up or if you don't want to bother, I'll pay for shipping for sure.

I like how you said the rest of the TT looks great. How that cover and anything else didn't get damaged in the shipping is another question to ponder.

Did that sub the delivery person left in your yard in the rain get damaged? :o
  • Alan_r
    edited March 2018
    Alan_r wrote: »

Keep us posted, OK?

I just looked at the pictures again and thought, you should try some kind of glue. It might be an easy fix like we thought. THEN I noticed you wrote the NAD2-PPi pre you bought came with a wrong power supply. Man what bad luck. You're right, this record playing journey is fighting you all the way. I might even call it fate. Fate has dealt me a lot of blows and I've fought my way through them or just accepted them and tried to heal fast.

There might be a member who has a correct power supply for you. Tell us the volts and milli-amps it uses and the socket configuration and let's see.I can look on the web in a minute too.

As far as a gift on your TT. Let's see how glue holds up or if you don't want to bother, I'll pay for shipping for sure.

I like how you said the rest of the TT looks great. How that cover and anything else didn't get damaged in the shipping is another question to ponder.

Did that sub the delivery person left in your yard in the rain get damaged? :o

It’s a simple 24v 100mah 2.1mm socket power supply. The one that arrived was 5V 1000mah. At least the plug was correct. I was going to just pick up a small, 24v 300mah (closest I could find) from Parts Express until I found the broken part on the TT.

The way it’s broken, an epoxy fix may indeed work. It’s jagged enough for correct alignment. The adjustable tonearm weight would counter the weight of the small amount of epoxy. As far as the dial on the weight, it’s missing a quarter of the dial. Only part of the broken piece fell out when I looked for it.

It’s such a shame as this is a really nice turntable. The plithe and dust cover are near immaculate. Hinges look brand new. Only marks ANYWHERE on the table are just below where the weight hangs, as can be seen in the photos. Likely caused by the broken weight rattling around during shipping.

The major broken piece looks like it’s part of the plastic end of the tonearm. Pictures of the 1200 series show this as possibly metal. The outer C shaped hinge of the tonearm Mount is in perfect condition.

I wonder if a 1200 series tonearm could replace the 1400 one. I find it hard to believe that the 1400MKII is the only Technics table that uses this tonearm.
  • Alan_r
    Looking at what’s available out there for sale, I did find a few tonearms and counter weights that look exactly like the one used on the 1400MKII. Perhaps I can take these apart and rebuild the one I have, if not a direct swap. 95av6j4nrnx4.jpeg
    d1ino0vbm5sq.jpeg
    24tnk0osigvq.jpeg
    7gtuj2v0rdpe.jpeg
  • Alan_r
    The 1401, B202 and 1500MKII looks to me as if the whole assembly could be swapped. The 1500 looks to me as if the tonearm itself could be removed from the assembly and used. Possibilities here?
  • Alan_r
    The broken SL-1400MKII part, weighs 108 grams as it sits without the center shaft. x2tl418hdjbm.jpg
  • Tony M
    I like the bottom one, SL-1500MKII the best. It looks just like mine. It has the 2 adjustment screw holes on its base. The anti skating dial too.
    The gram indicator looks like your broken one too.

I hope they aren't too much. And not too hard to swap. Glad you're still on the path!
  • Alan_r
    I like the bottom one, SL-1500MKII the best. It looks just like mine. It has the 2 adjustment screw holes on its base. The anti skating dial too.

I hope they aren't too much. And not too hard to swap. Glad you're still on the path!

Yeah that’s what I thought too. I think it’s the same exact arm that’s on the 1400mkii. Would make sense. Unfortunately they want about what I paid for the entire table for it. A used but in good shape 1400mkii complete tonearm went on eBay for $52 not too long ago so I guess they do come up. I guess where I’m at right now is accept a total loss for the 1400mkii I bought, as it’s doing me no good sitting in my closet. Or eat the high cost and buy the 1500mkii tone arm assembly and have a working turntable. When I found the 1400mkii for sale, I was on the verge of dropping the kind of coin that gets you a 1210MKV, so even with the replacement tonearm I’d still be well under what I was about to pay for the 1210........see my retarded logic here? Lol. This is how we all end up with multiple stereo systems. Any one of my systems can be heard throughout the entire house, yet I have a dedicated system in my living room, hobby room, gym, bedroom and garage.

I doubt the 1500MKII tonearm is going anywhere at the price it’s listed at so I’ll likely sit on it for a minute. Given my situation, I have nothing to lose by trying to repair the broken tonearm. If it works, great! If it doesn’t, well I’m right where I’m at now, so no loss.

What I’m considering doing is to drill two .5mm holes into both sides of the broken arm, obviously lined up perfectly. Insert two .5mm carbon fiber rods into the holes on one side, sticking out about 2mm. Then apply a thin film of West System epoxy to the jagged edge of the broken pieces. Fuse them together, the combined strength of he CF rod and shear strength of the epoxy should hold. I don’t see it adding more than 2 grams of weight. That added weight is also close to the fulcrum so the actual balance difference won’t be the full 2 grams. That should be easily made up for using the counter weight adjustment.

Will cost me nothing but time. Which I have plenty of.

Or drop a couple hundred dollars on the 1500MKII arm assembly .......choices
  • Alan_r
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Where are you located?

mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Where are you located?

Islands off Savannah Georgia at the moment.
  • Alan_r

I wrote a big long reply but erased it. Damn it.

Yeah the 1500mkii looks identical. Unfortunately they want what I paid for the whole table for it. I have an idea of how to fix what I have. I had written my idea in detail but I don’t want to write it again. Let’s just say it involves .5mm carbon fiber rod and West System epoxy. Costs me nothing but time, which I have. That or pay a couple hundred dollars for the 1500mkii arm assembly.
  • mhardy6647
    well -- if you ever sail or drive up to northern NH, I can send you home with a turntable! :)
  • Tony M
    That cost is probably worth it to somebody who was given a TT for nothing. But to double the cost is kind of borderline acceptable in this case. :#

I think you'll get it working in no time. ;)

Carbon Fiber huh? B)