iPhone X, not impressed

2»

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Nonsense like this is why I will always be an Android user. Constant hardware updates, appointments, waiting for hours. Pfffft, no thank you!
    LOL just no...
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Ron, which store/location was it that you had the issue with?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited March 2018
    The big one in Baybrook Mall in Friendswood/Clear Lake area, it's always well staffed...physically :D

There was only a handful of us needing batteries
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Since I got the 8 Plus which I had the 7 Plus before the X, I really found many things about the X I didn't like and that I do like about the 8 plus
    1) The Battery percentage, on the X you have to swipe to see it. You just get the battery icon. On the 8 Plus you get both the Icon and the Batter Percentage. I didn't like that on the X.
    2) Horizontal and Vertical usage. On the 8 Plus if you go horizontal, the screen flips and the bottom tool bar moves to the right, On the X it doesn't have that feature.
    3) Wallpapers on the X they get cropped off the side due to the thinner screen. Yes it's taller but things don't fit properly. On the 8 plus wallpapers fit as they should.
    4) Video when watching videos on the 8 it uses the entire screen if it's in 16 x 9. If you watch 16 x 9 stuff on the X , you only use the middle part of the screen which makes the X look like a regular 8. My wife has the 8 and the 2 videos look almost identical. The 8 plus is much better compared side by side.
    5) The Finger Print reader home button. I can unlock the 8 plus much faster then Face ID on the X. This isn't a huge deal or a deal breaker to me. It's like 1 second or so difference with the X being slower. Apple claims it faster but mine was much slower. I have 2 guys at work and both of their face ID's take longer to unlock then my 8 plus or my 7 Plus for that matter.
    6) Apps A lot of apps do wired things on the X Like Lux Deluxe which is a game I love to play to pass time. On the 8 Plus it's perfect on the X you get this strange bar if you rotate the app. The menu is vertical but game play is horizontal. So you going between both views. The X screws this up puts a black bar across the screen on the left and it doesn't go away until you close the app then reopen it. It comes back after you clear it.
    7) Battery Life. The 7 and 8 Plus you can go a full day and into he next day no problem with a full charge. You can easily go 2 full days on the 8 plus under light to normal use. The X by night time is down to about 13% which you have to swipe down on the right to see the battery percentage.
    8) Closing out apps on the 8 plus you just swipe up and your done. On the X you have to press and hold then press the app then press the small X at the top left of the app you want or need to close. Take ways longer.
    9) The Notch on the X is just terrible. It looks so stupid. When you go full size on a video or Pic, the Notch is right there on the left or right depending on how your holding it right in the image. I think they should have use went across the entire top and made small.
    10) The round bottom of the screen. On the X apps will get cut off as it uses the bottom of the screen for many things. You get rounded corners and any info that is supposed to be there if it was square is now cut off by the rounded corners.
    11) Cost, I don't think the cost of the X is worth it. I also feel the phone was released to early.
    Honestly there is nothing I don't like about the 8 plus. There is absolutely no issues for me. I like everything about it. I'm actually so much happier now that I got rid of the X. I'll be keeping my eye on the next release of the X style iPhones but if they have the same issues for me as the X, I'll be holding on to my 8 plus.

Now what I like about the X
    1) The new Jesters. Many people I know complain about the new way the X works. I however didn't have any issues. It felt natural to use the X as it is. It took me about 3 minutes to get use to it.
    2) The fit and finish. As all Apple products built quality is extremely high. Very nice Finish.
    3) The overall size of the phone. The X is a nice size in your hand. It's damn near feels like a 8. It's smaller then the 8 plus is overall size.
    4) The Power button. Love the lager button.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited March 2018
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Perhaps selling $1000 phones is a priority. Selling $25 batteries is not.

I get that, I get that the batteries are back ordered, I don't get that I waited to hrs, wasting my and their time, when they could have put me on the waiting list along with several others and we'd been on our way.

Based on your earlier account, I don't think you wasted more than maybe 1.5 minutes of their time. Bet 1-1/2 minutes of two Apple store staffers' time is worth rather less than 1-1/4 hours of yours.

The $25 battery replacement program has brought the entire retail side to its knees. The stores are crowded enough already, add in a $25 battery replacement for millions of users across a few hundred stores all who want it now and it has turned into a huge nightmare.
    [emphasis added]

Speaks volumes if that's the case.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Their whole repair infrastructure and Genius Bar approach is not designed to handle the volume they’re being hit with right now, because it’s never needed that kind of bandwidth before. I bet that’ll change after this fiasco. It still doesn’t excuse the service that Ron got, that incident is incredibly frustrating and unacceptable. I’ve already sent a note to a couple people on that.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    I've been using the iPhone X since launch and to me, it's MUCH better than any other iPhone I've ever used.

That's the 4S through the 8 Plus. Face recognition is faster and better than finger print, screen is better and layout just makes more sense.

That's me at least...
  • txcoastal1
    That store is always busy, been going there for years. It has always been 1-2hrs to get anything done.

Even at a couple other stores down here it's long waits to get in 1hr plus. Never been to a store where they are helping me less than an hour
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• txcoastal1
    Now in all fairness, being a techie guy, business owner, and constant travel I rely heavily on my phone, pad, and PC, daily business/remote supports. I have flipped flopped Apple/Droid back and forth. They all have their pro's and cons. I also know better than to jump on new Gens ie
    Iphone 1-3....started with Gen2
    Iphone 4-5....Started with 5
    Iphone 6-8....started with 6s

and now X which i consider a beta for the Xgen. As bad as I need and upgrade I am patiently waiting for next model.

Now if they'd continue the move to 5G I'll be in mobile heaven

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    That store is always busy, been going there for years. It has always been 1-2hrs to get anything done.

Even at a couple other stores down here it's long waits to get in 1hr plus. Never been to a store where they are helping me less than an hour

I make an appointment before and I've never had an issue, usually less than 15 minutes before I leave the house.

I work in the medical field, so an appointment just makes sense to me.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Different strokes and all that...you like what you like...but I can assure you Apple will be just fine. And there’s an announcement coming later this year that’s going to put them even higher on the list of many Americans in particular
  • txcoastal1
    DSkip wrote: »
    Let me guess - a special edition of the X, the iPhone SE X?

That's a gimme...I want 5G speed, that's a carrier issue not a phone issue, but I want it

• txcoastal1

That's a gimme...I want 5G speed, that's a carrier issue not a phone issue, but I want it

I've never considered SE X as a gimme. Maybe you have more game than I do.

:D:D:D Got me there

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Different strokes and all that...you like what you like...but I can assure you Apple will be just fine. And there’s an announcement coming later this year that’s going to put them even higher on the list of many Americans in particular

26eurz.jpg
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517

I've never considered SE X as a gimme. Maybe you have more game than I do.

Or a credit card with a larger balance :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Why so combative?

If you like the features of the Samsung better then for sure go buy one, buy whatever makes you happy. Phones, like most other products, are packages of emphasis. Different companies will place higher value on certain things and their products reflect the collection of choices they make...then you get to go buy the product that has the collection of features (choices) that most closely aligns with what you like.

So if a headphone jack is a priority for you then obviously you're not buying an iPhone or a Google Pixel, Apple instead chose to use that space for a better haptic device needed for the 3D Touch screen, a bit more battery space, and a better speaker implementation on the phone itself...that is a set of tradeoffs that works better for me personally. I use the speakerphone all day long for conference calls at work, and the sound quality crushes any other current phone I've tried including my Samsung S8 work phone. Would I ALSO like to have a headphone jack? Sure, but I wouldn't give up those other things to get it.

I didn't say America was the center of the world or even the largest driver of phone sales, I just mentioned that we'll see an uptick of sales in the States given an announcement coming later in the year...why make a thing of that?
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    I have the Tech21 cases for my iPhones. Slim, and work great!
    1prkpvvogja8.png
    [/quote]

Thanks, man . . . I'll check 'em out!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Crappy migration experience? You just restore the new phone from an iCloud backup when setting up the phone, it literally copies all your content including apps and texts and such and even remember the location of all the items on the various home screens. it's the most idiot proof backup/restore system I've ever used on any device.

Glad you like the Pixel XL, though I personally thought the screen was pretty bad and much prefer the base Pixel over the larger model as it has a screen with better colors and as far as I know without the burn in issues from the larger XL.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    I just updated to an 8+ along with my daughter during Verizon's "BOGO" promotion.

Best iPhone I've had. The salesperson actually talked us out of the X.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    If your hands and pockets can handle the larger size the 8Plus is certainly a great phone, I do miss the larger screen from time to time but everything else including the lack of a home button is a distant memory for me.
  • txcoastal1
    Looking forward to seeing the next genX, we shall see

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    iPhone ****
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    BlueFox wrote: »
    iPhone ****

LOL. Vanilla censors X X X.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited March 2018
    mantis wrote: »
    We have been lied to by Apple.

No kidding, tell me more...

27s02qn7tyez.gif

And NO, I'm not a Samsung fanboy AT ALL!
    Sorry, but I find it funny, when all the reviewers on YT trashed it, and people STILL went out and bought it.
    When the paid shills tell you it 's garbage, that's pretty bad.

I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    This thread is a great illustration of what's wrong with society...

It's fine for everyone to have their own opinions and we all like different stuff, that's why "different stuff" exists in the first place. We could just state what we like and don't like and why, but no that's not good enough these days...we have to sensationalize everything.

It's not as entertaining unless the conversation is filled with hyperbole and everything is exaggerated. That mentality is rampant in this thread alone and this is about freaking cell phones, no wonder it's so pervasive in our culture.

Back on topic...

How exactly did Apple LIE to everyone? I work there, so please fill me in. There is absolutely nothing about the screen size, aspect ratio, orientation, or notch that was hidden from customers...the details are plastered all over their website and any store you'd buy this phone in is required to have a model out on display for you to test and play with before purchasing.

All the YT videos trashed the phone and called it garbage? Again just more hyperbole, there are some videos from the usual suspects who trash everything Apple because it's Apple and those are expected. There are also a number of videos that had both positive and negative things to say about the iPhone and those are fine, it's not a perfect phone and therefore people are going to have both positive and negative things to say about it...just like virtually every other product that has existed ever.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    It's not as entertaining unless the conversation is filled with hyperbole and everything is exaggerated. That mentality is rampant in this thread alone and this is about freaking cell phones, no wonder it's so pervasive in our culture.

, it's not a perfect phone and therefore people are going to have both positive and negative things to say about it...just like virtually every other product that has existed ever.

Hyperbole goes both ways, for negative and positive reviews. We see it in audio all the time. Just like every other product on the planet....as you said.

Exaggeration is about as old as man, so it being pervasive is not culture exclusive.

Nobody really cares if someone likes an IPhone 10 or not.....or the reasons why. It's a frickin' phone after all. Just like audio products, some will hate xyz brand, while others adore it. Not really something to lose sleep over, use what you like, that's why we have choices.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable