SDA 2A - Weak Center Image

Options
I'm assuming speaker placement?

I just wanted to check here first before I wen't through the process of removing the spikes and messing with speaker placement, but could positioning cause a weak center image?

I have switched some gear around in that system so I thought it may have been a weak component, but last night I ran it it two different configurations with the same result.

Width of the soundstage is crazy wide, but from the speakers and out, it sounds loud/rich/full, while in between the speakers it is softer and weak. Vocals are placed properly in the center, but just sound soft and recessed.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul
2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A

Comments

• BC6
    BC6 Posts: 109
    Options
    I had the same problem and it turned out one of my tweeters was wired out of phase.
    2 Channel: Atohm GT-1 speakers, Atoll IN400 integrated amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon Bronze cartridge, SotM sMS-200 ultra streamer, SotM sPS-500 power supply, and homemade infinite baffle subwoofer with two Fi Audio IB318 drivers.

HT: All Polk: SDA 2.3tl fronts, CSiA6 center, 500-LS ceiling, RT/FX, RTi8, Monitor 4 rears, plus Yamaha CX-a5100 AV Preamplifier/Processor, Yamaha MX-a5000 11.1 channel amplifier, and Sony XBR55-AE1 OLED TV.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    BC6 wrote: »
    I had the same problem and it turned out one of my tweeters was wired out of phase.

Good info. I will check that out. Thank you.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    If the problem appeared recently would it be tweeter out of phase? I would think you’d have had the problem always if that was the case. At least since tweeter was changed.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have kind of the same problem. Recently moved my unmodified 3.1tls from one room to another and have lost the center imaging... unless I slide about a foot to either side of center and then I hear the voice just off center.

In the original room they did not have a good wall behind them and the room was large and open with 12 ft ceilings. It had a back wall and a left wall, but not much on the right but an angled fireplace. Listening position was about 15 feet from the speakers and the speakers were about 9 feet apart with a rack in between them.

Now, I've re-purposed the dining room and the speakers have a nice wall behind them that has definitely improved the base, but lost the center imaging.
    I'll have to spend more time on positioning them.
    Both rooms are only ceramic tile and I know I need to fix that.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,754
    Options
    What are the rest of the setup dimensions...., diatance between speakers, distance to side wall, distance to front wall, are they facing straight forward...No toe In?

Can you post a pic?

• smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    When I had them (if they are the one's I sold you) they were 7ft apart, 6.25 to 6.5 inches from the back wall. I also didn't have anything stacked up to/between the tweeter level. All of the equipment I had at the time was only 2 feet off the floor, at most. There was several feet, like 8 or 10, on each side. Of course, all rooms vary with carpeting, ceiling height, etc..., but I never noticed that when I was running them. Maybe Don noticed it when he listened to them?
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited March 2018
    Options
    My center imaging is spot on.

Like above, mine are 7 feet apart edge to edge, and about 7-8" off the back wall. There is a entertainment center between them that is 28" tall, so its barely below the mids and tweeters.

The LP is about 10 feet back.

I'm running all my sources in Stereo with no issue at all.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    smglbrth wrote: »
    When I had them (if they are the one's I sold you) they were 7ft apart, 6.25 to 6.5 inches from the back wall. I also didn't have anything stacked up to/between the tweeter level. All of the equipment I had at the time was only 2 feet off the floor, at most. There was several feet, like 8 or 10, on each side. Of course, all rooms vary with carpeting, ceiling height, etc..., but I never noticed that when I was running them. Maybe Don noticed it when he listened to them?

No, I never heard it at your place which is why I doubt it is a tweeter out of phase. They sounded great at your place. I think it’s a placement issue myself
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    From the SDA handbook:
    q7hqggiv6m4e.png
    My 1C handbook actually recommends initial placement of the speakers 4ft apart, and experiment from there.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • hochpt21
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Sorry for the delayed response.

I have a feeling that it may be my equipment between the speakers.

I have had a pair of 2A's down in that rig for about 4 years now. I never experienced it before. Then I moved @smglbrth pair in there and I don't remember experiencing it right off the bat. I have moved a variety of gear in and out of there, and just started experiencing it a month ago when I was auditioning a new turntable.

I thought that the passive preamp was the culprit, but then I took that out of the chain and still have the same issue.

Now that I think about it, I switched equipment racks awhile back that now takes the equipment above tweeter height (or at least level with it). I don't think I have critically listened since that point.

I'll post a picture and some dimensions very soon.
  • hochpt21
    Options
    la394p23h1f4.jpeg
    sjlalm6bjnae.jpeg
  • hochpt21
    Options
    9 inches from back wall

6 feet apart tweeter to tweeter

Outside edge of each speaker is 20 inches from the wall.
  • verb
    edited March 2018
    Options
    A picture tells a thousand words. I would say the speakers are too close to the adjacent walls. The rack has solid sides which acts kinda like an adjacent wall as well. Open racks are better. The front face of the speakers are also behind the front of the rack/equipment. It should be forward of it.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • hochpt21
    Options
    That makes sense. I’ve had an open rack down ther for a long time and just recently switched it out.
  • hochpt21
    Options
    @DSkip I do have 5 panels in the room.

I am almost sure it is the new shelf I have the equipment on, because I have had the room really dialed in the past.

When I get the opportunity, I will take that shelf out and see what the results are.
  • hochpt21
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Awesome. Pics didn't show that and I made an assumption. :o

The room is kind of messy. I didn't want to post the whole thing until I could organize it...LOL :)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    When I get the opportunity, I will take that shelf out and see what the results are.

Stop being "shelfish" and do it now :smile:

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • verb
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I used to have traditional entertainment center type audio cabinet with a glass door. Swapped it with an open cabinet. Moved my 1C's closer together (about 5') and about 32" from the corners. 6" from the back wall. BOOM! They came alive!
  • hochpt21
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    I used to have traditional entertainment center type audio cabinet with a glass door. Swapped it with an open cabinet. Moved my 1C's closer together (about 5') and about 32" from the corners. 6" from the back wall. BOOM! They came alive!

Is that 5’ inside edge to inside edge? Mine are just under 5’ apart when measured that way.

I have a less than ideal room, but with the treatments, I did have it dialed in at one point.

I’ll get it back again..

It’s my second system (3rd if you count the HT) and three kids so time is the great denominator. I know, excuses....
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Like the others have said the front of the speakers need to be further out from the wall then your equipment rack. Even though it is typically recommend that SDAs be 6-12 inches from the back wall, l usually set mine in the 14-20 inch range from the back wall. Don't worry, even my CRSs have no problem producing great bass at this range. My SRS 2s will flat out punch you in the gut at that range.

I would also place the speakers closer together to get them further away from the sidewalls. Experimenting is key, every room is different.
  • verb
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    verb wrote: »

Is that 5’ inside edge to inside edge? Mine are just under 5’ apart when measured that way.

I have a less than ideal room, but with the treatments, I did have it dialed in at one point.

I’ll get it back again..

It’s my second system (3rd if you count the HT) and three kids so time is the great denominator. I know, excuses....

Yep. My alcove is the basement is just a little shy of ideal. Its dedicated for my 2 channel rig. Polk suggests placing them closer together (less than 6') in those cases. The key is to experiment! And have fun!