What options, if any, are available for upgrading a pair of Polk Audio LS90 speakers?

Options
I bought a pair of LS90's in rosewood way back in late 1990's along with a pair of Adcom GFA 565 mono block amps and a GTP 500 pre-amp. Regrettably I made the insanely stupid decision to trade the speakers, amps and pre-amp for an HP desktop computer. At the time the computer was around $3500.00 but now is absolutely worth less than zero. It still pains me when I think of that galactically stupid decision. The equipment that I traded, however, is now vintage and hopefully in the hands of an appreciative audiophile. The other day I found a pair of black ash LS90's for $300.00. I bought them without even hearing them. I repaired a few minor things with the cabinet and grills and was afraid to listen to them thinking that with my luck, some of the drivers would be blown. But, to my surprise they sound beautiful and imaged so much nicer than my other speakers. I have a pair of underpowered RTi12's and a pair of 5th generation SRS SDA 3.2TL's that I'm restoring and the LS90's definitely sound best - due to the lack of power for the 12's. I'm glad I found these and since I'm restoring / upgrading my 3.2TL's I was wondering if any upgrade options exist for the LS90's while I'm at it. Any advice as always is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Gov.

Best Answer

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Sure, you can upgrade the crossover components, binding posts and internal wiring just like your SDA's, which are a far better speaker.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Answers

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I'll be watching this, as I aquired a pair of LS 50s recently.

But I have to ask: SDA 3.2? Do you mean 3.1 or 2.3?
  • Govstate
    Govstate Posts: 22
    Options
    2.3TL's. I'm dyslexic. Sorry about that though I wish polk made a 3.2tl.
  • Govstate
    Options
    I know and agree that the SDA's will be much better when I'm done with the restore. My wife isn't into audio at all so the restore is dragging on longer than I'd like.
    There are certain parts / drivers I'll need. What are some good sources for parts for these vintage speakers as well as part numbers? I may need to replace one of the 15" passive radiators on my 2.3TL's - SW155. I'll also be changing out the 4 tweeters for the RDO198's. I'm unsure if I will need to replace any of the 6 midrange drivers as well. I also have a tweeter and midrange to replace for my Rti7's. Having good sources for parts for these older polk speakers are not as easy to come by. Suggestions?
  • FestYboy
    Options
    Aside from tears in the surround or spider disintegration (not likely) there's should be no reason to need to replace the passive.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    You'll need 6 tweeters.

There are no new PR's available and used ones are almost impossible to find. What's wrong with yours?

For RTiA7 parts call Polk.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Govstate
    Options
    I posted pictures of the 2.3tl's I saved from becoming firewood a while back: http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/173798/starting-my-sda-srs-2-3tl-restore#latest

Besides the damage here and there to the cabinet, all 12 woofer cones are pushed in, the 6 tweeters will be upgraded. The speakers sound very muffled. I've learned a lot of things I can do with them through this forum. What I like is that if you ask a question in the correct section of the forum, you can be sure that an answer will be coming soon. I wish there was someone local to me that has speakers in the SDA line that they've restored where they could listen to mine to help me start in the right place with the restore. I'm in northwest Indiana and I haven't come across someone anywhere near me yet.
  • FestYboy
    Options
    Took a look at the PRs, I see signs of cat marking. I'll get you a list of products to get to remove the residue permanently. I have 6 cats worth of experience with what works.
  • Govstate
    Options
    #FestYboy - Thanks. any advice on these is much appreciated.