Wood Staining Question

Options
I have a small "Butcher Block" type island in my kitchen that I would like to stain a little darker. It currently doesn't have any stain on it and I just clean it regularly with a little mineral oil that I rub in. We don't actually use the surface of it to cut or prep food on, but this house is soon going to be for sale and I don't want to put a stain on it that might be hazardous to the new owners if they did use it for heavy duty cutting and food prep. The "safe for food" stains that I am seeing at Lowes, etc, all appear to be clear. I'd like to stain it significantly darker. Any specific recommendations would be appreciated.

buzq2oha1fjf.jpg
McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Black paint, if ya can get it.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,972
    Options
    If you are going to sell I would leave it alone. Maybe put in the contract that you will provide a small allowance for the island staining if you really think that will concern the buyer.

I personally would just leave it as is and sell the house. I don’t imagine that will be a major selling point one way or the other...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    Agree with rooftop
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    I wouldn't consider that a butcher block either. It looks like soft maple or birch which are passed off as butcher blocks in the big box home improvement chains but they are much to soft to stand up to years of actual chopping.

Actually, looking closer, it may even be some species of pine or fir...which is an even poorer choice for a butcher block.

Leave it as is. It will hardly add or detract from the value of the home.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 996
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

Actually, looking closer, it may even be some species of pine or fir...which is an even poorer choice for a butcher block.

Leave it as is. It will hardly add or detract from the value of the home.

I think you are right. We were told it was white pine. The only reason I wanted to stain it darker was because my wife was asking for it to be stained darker. I'm not really worried about adding or detracting from the sale of the home. We sold our house here in PA and are renting this one for about one more year before moving to our house in Colorado. I'm just trying to keep her happy. And the owner of this house said we are free to make any changes that we want.

McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Ask F1NUT, he does this stuff for a living....and he's dang good at it too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    From a purely cosmetic standpoint, find a wipe on stain she likes and then seal it and top coat it. Happy wife, happy life.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,096
    Options
    I'd leave it alone.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Leave it, it will make zero difference in the sale of a home.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mark090852
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Leave it, it will make zero difference in the sale of a home.

I know that. I am not concerned about the effect on the sale of the home at all. But I am concerned about keeping my wife happy and she would like it to be stained darker. That is the only reason I asked about stains. I just didn't want to use a stain that might be a hazard for the next owners of this house. I'm hoping there is a stain that I could use that would be considered "food safe".
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Oil it, throw a table cloth on it...one of those plastic ones, to keep it cleaned and covered. Use a regular cutting board and let the next owners deal with it.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    Options
    sum fokes doant reed gud
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    sum fokes doant reed gud

Otay I missed the rental part.... so I'm out
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• steveinaz
    Options
    ahhh...it's a wife thing, Got'cha. Good luck.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Viking64
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Otay I missed the rental part.... so I'm out
    It doesn't seem that your comment implied anything either way. I wasn't implying that at all. :p I just wanted....two rite sumpin funnie. :)
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    No offense taken
    I completely missed part 2 :)

• Viking64
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    No offense taken
    I completely missed part 2 :)

To everybody's credit, the rental part wasn't in the original post. I was just making light of that. :)

And for the record, in most cases, it's almost always best to let a next home buyer make these decisions. They may want to rip that off and go all new/matching on both the counter and the island.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    I found my old can of Good Stuff for Wood, which I used on a butcher block. The catalog (possibly Grizzly) stated that the stuff is “food grade” but the can itself does not. It’s made by Bally Block Company and also Michigan Maple Block Company. It’s a wipe-on satin finish.You could put a few coats of this or something similar, like polyurethane, over the stained wood and not worry about whether the stain itself is food grade.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,789
    Options
    Leave it alone.

Since it's pine it will not take a pigmented wiping stain evenly.
    You've already contaminated it with mineral oil.
    Any clear coat finish put on it will not last.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Leave it alone.

Since it's pine it will not take a pigmented wiping stain evenly.
    You've already contaminated it with mineral oil.
    Any clear coat finish put on it will not last.

There ya go. Let the wife know the Jedi master said to leave it alone. We all know our wives are perfectly rational and will listen to reason. Right?!?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    Right! But as a single friend often says, “How can you put a price on (wife’s name) happiness?” But I agree, leave it alone.
  • mark090852
    Options
    Good points from everyone. Thank you for your input. I'm going to leave it the way it is. It's been nice being a member of this forum. My obituary should be online within a few days... lol
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    LOL, just become a Polkie floater like Lightman...good luck :)

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    mark090852 wrote: »
    Good points from everyone. Thank you for your input. I'm going to leave it the way it is. It's been nice being a member of this forum. My obituary should be online within a few days... lol

we'll send cans of stain and paint so she can cover the crime scene... :p
  • steveinaz
    Options
    hehe
  • steveinaz
    Options
    As my older brother says (jokingly) "She, who shall be obeyed, told me the grass needs cutting." LOL
  • rooftop59
    Options
    she shall indeed, lest ye suffer her wrath!!!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    mark090852 wrote: »

we'll send cans of stain and paint so she can cover the crime scene... :p

Great new use for the table...

cyiwx3xvufbu.gif
    5vd7lowse7w5.gif

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    My advice.....get a piece a granite made to go on top of that plywood, then paint the trim under. Will look 10 times better for anyone looking at the house.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable