Need some advice...

Options

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Good luck John. Don’t have any advice as I’ve never experienced anything like this.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Now he is offering to give me back a thousand bucks... I told him his two options are to call the repair shop and stand down repairs and I will go get it myself, or I will order him a new faceplate and come out and fix it myself, and he can give me all my money.

The next is that we go see judge Judy.

Why are you giving him options?!?!?!
    Get the fackin CD player back!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Now he is offering to give me back a thousand bucks... I told him his two options are to call the repair shop and stand down repairs and I will go get it myself, or I will order him a new faceplate and come out and fix it myself, and he can give me all my money.

Just trying to minimized the damage. I have told him that is my prefered option.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,755
    edited March 2018
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »

Agreed...or all the money, not negotiable. He elected to keep the player and the funds. He didn't consult with you about repair when you asked for the player back.

Actually, he went on his own to repair the unit, no telling about the quality of the repair, or what was performed.

I'd go for the entire sale price.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2018
    Options
    He said he tried to contact me, and the email my wife got proves as much, but in ten days he sent just the one email. He had my number and never called. Paypal says the sent 8 emails, to the wrong address. They also have my number, and NEVER called. He could have also reached out through USAudiomart, and failed to do so even once there.

I do bear some responsibility due to my wife, and that will be addressed when she gets home, but the buyer made zero effort in my book, given he had alternate means, and Paypal not reaching out with even one call is inexcusable. I will be closing and terminating all use of Paypal when this is done.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,755
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Since he decided to hold on to the funds, that player was not his to make decisions on being repaired.

Also there's a paper trail on him with paypal stating that he received the refund because the cdp was apparently damaged. There was no discussion on getting it repaired.

• nooshinjohn
    edited March 2018
    Options
    039v5p43u69l.jpg
    zztakwgcg2ae.jpg
    lcreewlr7gdz.jpg

The top pic is from him, and the bottom two are mine, as it was shipped. It would appear that someone took an eraser to the faceplate, but also looks like something that could be regrained fairly easily by someone that knows how to do such a thing. Certainly not 2000.00 in damages inm any case. My last word to him is that I am looking into the faceplate, and if it is too much I would like to come and get it on Thursday or Friday. If he does not agree to this, then I will disclose my intent to pursue all legal means necessary, including a visit to LAPD to file an affidavit alleging theft for his refusal to return something he did not pay for and has demonstrated through fraud, that he intends to keep, then take that paperwork to his District Attorney's office in pursuit of a felony charge of grand theft through fraud and deceit.

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    eBay or PayPal need to be able to clear this up? He gets one or the other. COD is how it is supposed to be. Package with returned item hits my driveway. PayPal takes the funds out of my account. Good luck brother. You might have to do small claims court ? Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Maybe this **** already has one, and it’s broken, so he’s trying to swap his with yours. Do you have serial numbers?
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• nooshinjohn
    edited March 2018
    Options
    in pictures.. yes, and you are correct... they don't even look like the same players. My pics show near mint, and his looks ridden hard and put away wet.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    in pictures.. yes, and you are correct... they don't even look like the same players. My pics show near mint, and his looks ridden hard and put away wet.

Interesting to compare serial numbers once you get it back.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    ^^^ I'm going to do that before I leave with it.

• verb
    Options
    You're going to pick it up? Careful dude. Do they allow concealed carry where you live?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I'd request a civil standby, IMO
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2018
    Options

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,262
    Options
    I do bear some responsibility due to my wife,

ABSOLUTELY you do NOT.
    ABSOLUTELY she does NOT.

So she did not inform you of the email. So what.
    She thought the email was spam.
    She was going to tell you but was distracted by your son having gastric upset.
    She bumped her toe on the coffee table and was in pain.
    Don't know, don't need to know, cause it doesn't matter.
    Why ? Because the buyer didn't buy it from her, he bought it from you.

The buyer sent ME an email saying the unit was damaged.
    I don't care, because I didn't sell him anything.
    And neither did she. Same difference.

How did he/Paypal get her email address ? It would be interesting to know, but in the final analysis, it doesn't matter.

I would NOT give any financial breaks to the buyer. Take that money and have a lawyer draw up a letter to him with a demand for the money, along with a demand for the name of the repair shop, etc.

People can lie all they want until they have to get on the stand or start getting letters on a law firm's stationery. Then their tunes change.

Admit nothing, compromise on nothing, get what is due to you. Period.
    Like Joey, be like a surgeon. Slow and methodical, step by step. :)

Sal Palooza
  • verb
    Options
    Hard to say. I'm assuming the faceplate is hard anodized of some sort. Low gloss. Hard to hide something like that in low gloss. Easier to do if high gloss.

Just thinking, maybe the marks are a manifestation of material added to the faceplate? Foam or any softer durometer material will transfer under prolonged relative motion (vibration) between the two. Shipping will do that. If that is the case, it should clean up.

Just keeping my hopes up for ya!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Do not go to his house! He might be like me!
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Do not go to his house! He might be like me!

If I am to go by your avatar, you are just a cute, cuddly little puddy tat.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    John, I got nothing to offer you but my condolences and my hope that it gets resolved without any more drama than there already is/has been.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm furious just reading this. What sort of **** nozzle pulls crap like this?

John, as much as I'd like to see you get either your money or your equipment I'd feel really satisfied if he got a dose of karma.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    It would also be interesting to see if this person bought the same unit sometime in the past. It's a pretty unique piece. Maybe there's a history here that could be revealed with a bit of research?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    Disagree.
    Something's jacked up with John's PP account that needs to be fixed; he should have received those messages personally, and maybe this could have been sorted earlier before it escalated.

Still though, dirtbag move on buyer's part. I agree, all repair work should be halted, and you should get the unit back as it was shipped - YOUR unit, not some swapped p.o.s. Sheisty buyer for sure, looking for a deal to brag about. I hate s-bags like that. Thieves are some of the worst.

Time for a breather and a regroup. Everyone stop. Collaborate. And listen. Roll, in a 5.0 with the ragtop down so everyones hair can blow.

Be cool, get your ish back.
    ABSOLUTELY you do NOT.
    ABSOLUTELY she does NOT.

So she did not inform you of the email. So what.
    She thought the email was spam.
    She was going to tell you but was distracted by your son having gastric upset.
    She bumped her toe on the coffee table and was in pain.
    Don't know, don't need to know, cause it doesn't matter.
    Why ? Because the buyer didn't buy it from her, he bought it from you.

The buyer sent ME an email saying the unit was damaged.
    I don't care, because I didn't sell him anything.
    And neither did she. Same difference.

How did he/Paypal get her email address ? It would be interesting to know, but in the final analysis, it doesn't matter.

I would NOT give any financial breaks to the buyer. Take that money and have a lawyer draw up a letter to him with a demand for the money, along with a demand for the name of the repair shop, etc.

People can lie all they want until they have to get on the stand or start getting letters on a law firm's stationery. Then their tunes change.

Admit nothing, compromise on nothing, get what is due to you. Period.
    Like Joey, be like a surgeon. Slow and methodical, step by step. :)
    I disabled signatures.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    edited March 2018
    Options
    First the console and now this. If you know any lawyers, you may want to have them send an official letter notifying them of your intent to pursue legal action. I've done this before, and provided the attorney is legit it scares the crap out of people. If any improper conduct on the part of PayPal, a letter from your lawyer buddy to them might not hurt either.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    So I called Krell this morning. The faceplate is only 125.00 and takes the village idiot only ten minutes or so to swap, and that's if he's drunk when he does it. I emailed the buyer and told him I would be willing to deduct 200 bucks from my sell price for the new plate and the installation, but that is it.

• txcoastal1
    Options
    Nice, hope he's a normal reasonable guy
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    Now he tells me to send him a shipping label and it will go out on Friday. I told him I would prefer to come out and pick it up rather than ship it.

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Definitely pick it up in person. You need to verify the player you are getting back is the one you sent him. I'd also open up the case & verify the innards are as you expect. This whole thing smells like a switcharoo.

Not that Paypal has been of any help, but if he has a tracking number to prove he shipped something back to you, forget about Paypal being any help whatsoever.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Nice, hope he's a normal reasonable guy
    Umm, yeah, so far so good on that, right?

• txcoastal1
    Options
    Dammmmm now your also going to have to make sure that PayPal takes you off collections

You need to create a release document that both parties sign and copy for each party