2-Channel Amps

2»

Comments

• dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    Was telling my buddy about this fiasco and he said he has an AMC 2100 sitting in his closet that he'd give me! Only 100 wpc but it's better than nothing and should allow me to cool my jets and take my time on my next purchase.

Any opinions on AMC?
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • dr1978
    edited March 2018
    Sounds like I should be happy enough for $50. Decided to offer him a fifty spot for it.

Down the road what do you guys think would be a better use for this amp? Bridging it and putting 200 watts into my center, or just using it to power my surrounds? With bridging I have read that it can cause a loss of clarity. Plus this would be for HT duty, and I could run into trouble with whatever new amp I get for my fonts not matching up well.

I guess the other option is to just sell it when I get upgraditis and make a few bucks.
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    You could still use it for your center, but I wouldn't bridge it though. This is for HT, you won't have any issues with whatever other amp you buy for the front left and right.

You can also keep it to power the surrounds and find a 3 channel amp for the fronts.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    I think @ZLTFUL has a AMC amp, maybe even that model....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • dr1978
    Finally got the AMC put in place.......eh. I'm straining to hear any real improvement. I didn't listen to much 2-channel when I was just using my AVR, so I can't make a great comparison, but it seems like I'm turning up the dial even more than I did before. If I listen closely I can convince myself that I'm hearing some increased depth and detail, but again, I didn't really listen to 2-channel all that critically in the first place.

I'm going to give it some more time, but right now I am thinking of going down the 3-channel path and using this for my surrounds. My issue with that is my "rack" is really more of a decorative piece that I purchased as a compromise with my wife that matches our decor. Because of that I have serious size restrictions. If either the width or depth isn't <15.5" then it won't fit. I don't really have the room for a separate amp stand either. So unless I magically come across a moderately sized, affordable, 3-channel amp then I'll just have to wait until I earn enough additional brownie points and can get a real rack.
  • tonyb
    Could just be a bad match. I would look at the input impedance of the amp, and compare to the output impedance of the receiver. Most receivers will have a 1mv output, but many amps may have a 2mv input. Which means the receiver can only drive that amp to half it's power.

Most pre-amps have outputs high enough to drive any amp, which is why the combo of a pre-amp/amp is usually preferred.

What model is the amp ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dr1978
    AVR is Marantz SR5011, Amp is AMC 2100.

I'm having a hard time finding the input and output impedance of the amp and avr respectively.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    The amp has a 1V input sens. https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/amc/2100.shtml

however, the AVR spec does not seem to be listed. I would think its at least 1 volt? You could always check the output voltage of the AVR yourself.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-receivers-processors-amps/35677-gain-structure-home-theater-getting-most-pro-audio-equipment-your-system.html#post317692
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • tonyb
    edited March 2018
    That's actually a good thing the amp has that low of an input impedance, means your receiver should drive it fine to full power. I'm assuming you have it hooked up to the front left and right pre-outs of the Marantz ? If so, with what cables ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited March 2018
    You guys (and I know you know this!) are talking about source voltage output and load sensitivity, not source/load impedance, in the posts above. :) All of the above is true, and important -- but it is also true that appropriate alignment (shall we say) of source (output) and load (input) impedance is a good idea. :)

The old rule of thumb is that the input impedance of the power amp ("load") should be at least ten times the output impedance of the preamp ("source"). The question is, can the OP find the input and output impedance ratings for the components in question.

There was a recent thread at AK on (sort of) this same topic. It might be worth a look, but like so many discussions there in the past couple of years, it sort of degenerated into an off-topic "urinating contest" along the way :( PM me if you want a link.

You can also try Steve "Decware" Deckert's white paper on the topic (typos and all), if you like.
    http://www.decware.com/paper55.htm
  • alucididea
    alucididea Posts: 113

I’ve got a question on this subject. I just got the following hardware:

Yamaha RX-A3070:
    • Rated Output Level / Output Impedance
    PRE OUT
    SUBWOOFER (50 Hz) ................. 1.0 V/470 Ω ExceptSUBWOOFER(1kHz)..........1.0V/470Ω
    ZONE OUT ................................... 1.0 V/470 Ω
    • Maximum Output Level
    PRE OUT/ZONE OUT ..................2.0 V or more

NAD M22:
    Input Sensitivity ............. 1.6 V (ref. Rated power)
    Input Impedence ........... 17kΩ + 200pF

This seems like a decent match, however I’m a bit confused by the specs. Does this mean it has a minimum 1V output with a maximum of 2+V? I was hoping you could help me make sense of the specifications. Thanks in advance.
  • tonyb
    alucididea wrote: »
    I’ve got a question on this subject. I just got the following hardware:

Yamaha RX-A3070:
    • Rated Output Level / Output Impedance
    PRE OUT
    SUBWOOFER (50 Hz) ................. 1.0 V/470 Ω ExceptSUBWOOFER(1kHz)..........1.0V/470Ω
    ZONE OUT ................................... 1.0 V/470 Ω
    • Maximum Output Level
    PRE OUT/ZONE OUT ..................2.0 V or more

NAD M22:
    Input Sensitivity ............. 1.6 V (ref. Rated power)
    Input Impedence ........... 17kΩ + 200pF

This seems like a decent match, however I’m a bit confused by the specs. Does this mean it has a minimum 1V output with a maximum of 2+V? I was hoping you could help me make sense of the specifications. Thanks in advance.

You'll be fine, the Yamaha has 2v on the preout and the amp has 1.6 on the input. Your kosher...
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • alucididea
    alucididea Posts: 113
    tonyb wrote: »
    You'll be fine, the Yamaha has 2v on the preout and the amp has 1.6 on the input. Your kosher...
    So I will be getting the full power from my amp?
  • dr1978
    Well I finally did what I should have done in the first place and did a comparison with and without the amp. I'm getting deeper bass and maybe overall fullness, but it's not enough of a difference for me to settle on. I'm happy with the pickup at the price, but I'll be in the market for another 2 or 3 channel amp.
  • dr1978
    tonyb wrote: »
    That's actually a good thing the amp has that low of an input impedance, means your receiver should drive it fine to full power. I'm assuming you have it hooked up to the front left and right pre-outs of the Marantz ? If so, with what cables ?

Yep, it's hooked up correctly, and the cables should be ok. I picked up some blue Jean interconnects.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Sorry to hear about the amp. Rarely read about bad experiences with Parasound. I had a 1500a that was fantastic. Kinda wish i still had it.