A Real SL 2000 Hack. Replace stock (burnt voice coils) with "silk diaphragm dome ".

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    edited February 2018
    A reputable machine shop wouldn't charge less than $150/pr.
    Someone crafty could take 3/16" thick aluminum plate and make their own with a 1 5/16" bi- metal hole saw.
    I think member Toolfan made something similar. Probably got banned for making a better product than factory hehe.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    Hell naw ! Lol !!
  • Hey xschop I'm back dang computers, thanks for the reply. A little out of my price range however I do think a single aluminum plate would look and function better as you mentioned.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• xschop
    Dangd ol compooters main. Boomhauer must be IT here.
    I wonder if the 1C and SRS-2 tweeter cutout dimensions are the same?
    From pics, they look like they share a short space between their tweet housings.
  • Interesting you mention that there is a space between them odd!! Also there is a small rounded area on each side between the tweeters hmmm
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• My son tells me he and his high school buddy's can machine those tweeter plates.
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• xschop
    Do it and remove that small mdf rounded area with a chisel. Make the plates rectangle and have even better seal.
  • VSAT88
  • Might be a good project for me and my boy, he really likes his new to him m7bs
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• xschop
    I looked and the alloy would only be about $30 for 2 plates. The rest is programming and set up.
  • VSAT88
    Closest I could come to making plates for mine would be to try and cut them out of a old car fender and beat em flat with a sledge hammer. Talk about resonance !!
  • Me and my boy just finished four new tweeters, we decided to re use the SL 2000 faceplates and magnet assembly. These are for my 1Cs if all else fails and they suck I will order some RDO194st9zs3oamyy8d.jpg
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• I have to add a note, the old clearish domes were not adheared well at all.
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• VSAT88
    Yeah Randy. With glue that old they usually take little effort to come loose. Fact is those vintage Polk drivers are well built though.
  • I can't wait to get my ears on them, next couple of days or so.
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• xschop
    Looks good. As a side-note, when you go to glue the new domes, you can use a drive socket to evenly seat the perimeter.
  • VSAT88
    I can't wait to get my ears on them, next couple of days or so.

Well ???
  • Sorry I didn't get back sooner, they don't sound right, I believe the voice coils are not centered and I can't figure out how to fix them. So I am going the RDO-194 route, it was a fun project though we learned a lot.
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    That's too bad. the two I did came out good.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • VSAT88
    I did 4 and two came out great. the other two the VC scraped and I was unable to align the well enough to use. That sucks for you Randy. Wish it had turned out better.
  • VSAT88
    xschop wrote: »
    Here you go Vsat.... Thank you very much for the contribution to this project. I can confidently proceed with the last piece to my XS-CRS project now I have torn down both tweeters and mic'd.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/122307253773

After you got all your parts together to do this tell me how you centered these. I have been hit and miss on mine. did you set a signal generator to them ? Eyeball them with good results ? I have two I just did up. One sounds great the other I have had out at least three times now trying to get it centered correctly.
  • xschop
    edited March 2018
    On the 194 style diaphragm, I simply drilled the two centering holes a little larger and snipped the side divit a little larger. This gives more adjustment and I ear-tuned them while playing low sax or piano music.
    As you probably know there are other issues with the RD-0194 plastic housings/frames. I have one that would rear it's ugly head from time to time. When I get a chance I'll add butyl mat to the back and see if that fixes the resonance issue.
  • VSAT88
    I appreciate you letting me know. Still having trouble centering them to my satisfaction however I am making progress. Thanks again.
  • xschop
    Throw back a cold one and refocus hehe.
  • xschop
    I'll be revisiting this thread soon to do a set of SL-2000's I just pulled from 5B's. Hopefully I'll have the same experience/results as WMG.
  • VSAT88
    I wanna see that for sure ! Pics ??
  • xschop
    edited April 2019
    Ok, I tried editing the pic order and this site deleted everything...

Here goes again... Good news, I used the same silk dome plastic frames on the SL2000s as I did for the RDO194s. No gluing of individual silk domes required. I just had to dremel 8 total slots in them as the SL2000s have 8 protrusions. I used 4ea neoprene O-rings between magnets and tweeter frames that are the same thickness as the new silk frames. This is because I removed the Eye-shaped intermediate plate from the SL2000s. You could also trim these intermediate plates so that the new silk plastic frames sit within them, bringing the domes closer to the tweeter hole openings, but I would put some kind of thin layer of RTV between them and magnets as well as tweeter frame to keep any resonance down. I will add some RTV in the channels when I get a chance to pretty them up...As for now, been listening for last few hours.... Lovely balanced sound that make the factory SL2000s sound aged and overbearing.....

As a side note, these SL2000 frames are stiffer than the RD0194's frames as you can see the better integral bracing from the first pic. Also the RDO194's are missing the integrated screw mount bosses that the SL2000's have, which I find strange...

ep7w9thjzmci.jpg

s1d9grhwi65a.jpg

chvnhns84p0l.jpg

ywo2el0a24m9.jpg

8452yt4rilw2.jpg
    Post edited by xschop on
  • VSAT88
    Hybrid sleep 2000's ! I will look again soon when I am back home on the PC but what I see so far looks kick-****!
  • xschop
    edited April 2019
    Forgot to mention... No soldering involved....
    I'm enamored with my 5B's now. Ronnie Laws' sax sounds correct with these. So Happy
    Post edited by xschop on
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Very nice work.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/