iPhone X, not impressed

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,032
Hello all,
I picked up a iPhone X yesterday and I actually hate it. I had the 7 Plus before it and I much prefer that style of phone. I'll explain
It's the screen. We have been lied to by Apple. They say it's a bigger screen but actually it's smaller. The usable space you get to use is like the regular 7 or 8. The round bottom sucks and the notch is a huge mistake. They should not have put that in the screen area. Full size video it's in the way and if it's 16x9 it's basically the same size as the 8.
Apps look stupid when they are formatted for the older screen size which is 16x9.
I use the battery % and not the picture of the battery. Thats gone on the X. You have to swipe down and go to control center to see the %. How stupid is that.

It costs $35 to return the phone. I'll gladly pay that and get a iPhone 8 plus or just continue to use my iPhone 7 plus. I think they are much better phones. I think Apple really screwed up on this phone. I also heard the screen is made by Samsung. I wonder if they intentionally made the screen the way it is to steer people away from the iPhone X? If you come from a regular size iPhone like the 6s or 7 I can see the iPhone X being exceptable as the screen size when doing every day things will look normal to you. Coming from a Plus size it's a total down grade in screen size. Yeah lager screen on a smaller phone, whatever man.

EFFFFFFF this thing it's OUT!!!!!!!!!!!
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Lol. How do you really feel?
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I’m still on a 7 (s)? Lol. Probably wait for the next iteration
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 993
    I have an X. On day one I hated it! Day two...didn't like it at all. Day three...it was kind of a pain in the butt to use. Day four...hmmm...getting used to it. Not too bad. By day seven...I was really starting to like the thing. Now, two months later...I really like it. On the rare occasion, when I pick up my wife's iPhone 7, I can't use her 7 without a struggle. The swipes, etc, for the X seem so natural and intuitive that I have forgotten how to use the 7. Change for me is difficult, but, in this case, for me it was worth it.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    mark090852 wrote: »
    I have an X. On day one I hated it! Day two...didn't like it at all. Day three...it was kind of a pain in the butt to use. Day four...hmmm...getting used to it. Not too bad. By day seven...I was really starting to like the thing. Now, two months later...I really like it. On the rare occasion, when I pick up my wife's iPhone 7, I can't use her 7 without a struggle. The swipes, etc, for the X seem so natural and intuitive that I have forgotten how to use the 7. Change for me is difficult, but, in this case, for me it was worth it.
    That’s pretty much word for word my experience as well. Face ID works great for me and once you get used to how things navigate on the phone it becomes second nature and it’s odd going back to an older phone.

My wife still has the 8 Plus which is the size I used before, and that thing now feels unwieldy to say the least. The X is just so much easier to handle,

The screen took some getting used to, the one thing I actually do still miss from the Plus is the 3 day battery life.

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    As to the original OP...so your complain is that it’s a smaller phone. Did you not look at the thing befor e buying it? I could see being pissed about something that wasn’t obvious before buying the phone, but the size and aspect ratio is about the most obvious thing there is with the design.

The screen width is about the same as the regular 8, but the screen is taller, which translates to a larger screen for about 90% of what I use the phone for.

It’s always a trade off when it comes to screen size, the phone isn’t objectively better or worse because it has a larger or smaller screen size...different strokes for different folks.

The quality of the screen itself is top notch, and last I checked it’s the top rated screen in terms of color accuracy in any phone...ever
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    yea I upgrade to a 7 plus on black friday last year (it was slightly used) and the battery life - while not three days for me - is pretty incredible! I don't use it a ton and I can often go 2 days without a charge.

I agree that the size thing has pluses and minuses. I actually thought about the SE because I really liked the size of my old 5S (which I upgrade from) and was worried the plus wold be unwieldy. But in the right case, I am now used to it and like it fwiw...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926

Sounds like break-in to me.

:|
  • mantis
    As to the original OP...so your complain is that it’s a smaller phone. Did you not look at the thing befor e buying it? I could see being pissed about something that wasn’t obvious before buying the phone, but the size and aspect ratio is about the most obvious thing there is with the design.

The screen width is about the same as the regular 8, but the screen is taller, which translates to a larger screen for about 90% of what I use the phone for.

It’s always a trade off when it comes to screen size, the phone isn’t objectively better or worse because it has a larger or smaller screen size...different strokes for different folks.

The quality of the screen itself is top notch, and last I checked it’s the top rated screen in terms of color accuracy in any phone...ever
    I played with it many times but I actually went to buy a 8 Plus 256g but they sold out. I was gonna walk but I felt the need to get the X as it's the badass on the block right now.
    The Screen according to Apple is bigger then the Plus. Actually it's smaller as the notches use up some of the screen and the width is smaller. The Height without the notch is almost exactly the same as the Plus.
    I'm on day 2 and I'm not as pissed off at it as I was last night. I actually love the size of the phone as it's a bit smaller then the plus, I do like that. I don't like how wallpapers fit. The Clarity and colors black etc are top notch, I can't deny that.
    I got a cool Speck Sports case in Red that's Silcon to the touch and I dig it.
    Dan
  • mantis
    I can see myself following this path. I really wanted to return it today but I held off to give it a full fair chance.
    Dan
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    I've got the 8 Plus and was considering a thread re: the one reason I HATE the damn thing.

The front and back are (whatever the industry nomenclature is) super highly polished to the point that the friction coefficient of this is in the negative, like minus 10
    This will slide off of Any surface that's not 100% level in all directions

I know that the simple solution is a case . . . gonna get around to it . . . this month!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • mantis
    I did it. I got rid of that smack. I can't see myself ever owning the iPhone X until they make some necessary improvement. First Gen X IMO and coming from a person who owned all the versions of the iPhone I can say this one isn't ready for prime time.
    I took it back and picked up a iPhone 8 Plus 256g. Now I'm back smiling and very happy.
    Dan
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    For anyone else in a similar situation I’d strongly suggest you keep and use the phone for the full 14 trial period before returning...I’ve come across too many people that end up loving the phone after a few days
  • mantis
    Thats funny as the iPhone X is being returned by many. Many people I was told don't care for it for a lot fo reasons and mostly the same issues I had with it.
    The iPhone 8 Plus is a much better for me phone. I like the size, there is NO NOTCH and everything screen wise fits perfectly. None of my apps do weird things on it as they did on the X.
    Dan
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    I know the return rate for the x...it’s well under 1%. I’m not claiming your reasons are not valid for you, I’m just encouraging others to give the phone more than a day before returning it

• mantis
    According to Best Buy that number is on the raise.
    Dan
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    I work for Apple, I know the defect and return rates. Really not trying to start an argument or claim that your reasoning is faulty, just stating the facts.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I work for Apple, I know the defect and return rates. Really not trying to start an argument or claim that your reasoning is faulty, just stating the facts.

Interesting. I did not know they had a 14 day return policy. I have a 6s work phone, 7+ personal, my better half has an 8+

Advertising hype aside, what are the advantages that would compel us to to get the X? Please advise. Thanks!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    GlennDog wrote: »
    I've got the 8 Plus and was considering a thread re: the one reason I HATE the damn thing.

The front and back are (whatever the industry nomenclature is) super highly polished to the point that the friction coefficient of this is in the negative, like minus 10
    This will slide off of Any surface that's not 100% level in all directions

I know that the simple solution is a case . . . gonna get around to it . . . this month!

I have the Tech21 cases for my iPhones. Slim, and work great!
    1prkpvvogja8.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2018
    Hey Verb...

1 - The screen is objectively better, it’s larger than the 8 as well, though doesn’t feel as big as the Plus (Dan’s main gripe). The advantage is if you do a lot of web, text, email or apps that support the new aspect ratio you get a screen that has about the same amount of effective usage space as the larger Plus size in a body that’s much more manageable. If you watch a lot of video or use apps or games that aren’t yet optimized for the taller aspect ratio the screen is about the same effective size as the regular iPhone. The notch really disappears for the vast majority of people after a few days of use.

2 - Face ID is a game changer, it works faster and is more secure than Touch ID, and works when you get out of the shower or done with a workout or are outside in the cold. It takes a few days to learn your face well enough to work as well as Touch ID but once it learns it works quite well.

3 - The camera system is better, for two reasons. One you get a much improved front facing camera. Two, you get optical stabilization on BOTH rear cameras, so if you use that zoom lens a lot that’s a very nice and underrated feature.

Things you give up from the Plus going with the X are the screen size and battery life...most people miss the home button initially but get used to it not being there within a couple days...the gestures are very intuitive.

My main complaint with the X is the fact that you have to swipe up to unlock the phone vs just looking at it, but there are security reasons behind that and they’re working through alternatives.

• verb
    Thanks for the quick response! I usually get the hand me downs, so maybe I'll treat my Honey to an X, and then I can upgrade to the 8! :smile:
  • jeremie
    jeremie Posts: 246
    I upgraded from the 6s+ to the X and love it. Wife got the 8+ and I cannot understand how I ever used it as the X seems so natural after a day or so of use. I could not imagine ever going back.
    Receiver Yamaha 3070 *Emotiva xpa5 * Behringer iNuke 6000dsp *Monster Cable HTS 3500 -- line conditioner * Panamax 5300 * Apple 4K * Panasonic UB820 * JVC NX5 * Silver Ticket thin bezel 120”
    LSIM - Fronts 707 * Center 706c * Sides 702 * Rear 703 *FP RC85i * RP RC65i * Sub (2) SI HT18
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I have a 7, and dislike it. I wish I had bought the 5SE, which is a much better size. I really hate the fingerprint sensor which doesn't work half the time.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I have a 7, and dislike it. I wish I had bought the 5SE, which is a much better size. I really hate the fingerprint sensor which doesn't work half the time.
    This short guide may help if you haven’t already seen it

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3057879/apple-ios/7-essential-touch-id-tips-for-ipads-and-iphones.html
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I just got back from Apple Store
    I was a walk in got in line for 10min, associate asks me for my info and what my problem is with my Iphone 6S plus...answered needs a new battery.

"Got you entered we'll text you in 1hr to 1-1/2hrs and get with the next care associate"

"Ok cool"

1hr15min later get the text

"Sir sit right here and he'll be with you shortly"

15min later he comes over, I give him the need a battery spill...

His answer "we've been back ordered on batteries for the 6's for a week and it will be several weeks before the new ones arrive. We'll email you when they come in"

So you couldn't have told me that 2hrs ago????? GRRRR :#:#:#:#
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited March 2018
    Happened to me a few weeks back. And I even setup an appointment for a battery replacement online to reserve one....

45 min drive (one way) on a weekend, 1 hour wait for them to one run diagnostic.... to tell me my battery is bad... for nada.

I was (and still am) pissed.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    The $25 battery replacement program has brought the entire retail side to its knees. The stores are crowded enough already, add in a $25 battery replacement for millions of users across a few hundred stores all who want it now and it has turned into a huge nightmare.

That doesn’t excuse them not telling you about it ahead of time, they’re just not staffed in enough locations to handle the volume and don’t really have the experience they’d need to handle such a huge surge of demand...and now on top of that there’s a sudden shortage of batteries.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Nonsense like this is why I will always be an Android user. Constant hardware updates, appointments, waiting for hours. Pfffft, no thank you!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited March 2018
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Perhaps selling $1000 phones is a priority. Selling $25 batteries is not.

I get that, I get that the batteries are back ordered, I don't get that I waited to hrs, wasting my and their time, when they could have put me on the waiting list along with several others and we'd been on our way.

All the store mgr had to say to their employees days ago is this is what we're going to with the back orders....blah blah blah

They could have created a battery only line using a couple employees and the other 1/2 dozen to new sales and other tech issues.

It's called streamlining
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I Never could understand why people
    Complain about software updates? Doesn’t it keep your item performing at its best while adding new features and fixing bugs? You can even program the dam thing to update while you are sleeping.

I have an Android tablet and the thing updates just as much as my IPhone. What’s the problem here?

2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• verb
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I just got back from Apple Store
    I was a walk in got in line for 10min, associate asks me for my info and what my problem is with my Iphone 6S plus...answered needs a new battery.

"Got you entered we'll text you in 1hr to 1-1/2hrs and get with the next care associate"

"Ok cool"

1hr15min later get the text

"Sir sit right here and he'll be with you shortly"

15min later he comes over, I give him the need a battery spill...

His answer "we've been back ordered on batteries for the 6's for a week and it will be several weeks before the new ones arrive. We'll email you when they come in"

So you couldn't have told me that 2hrs ago????? GRRRR :#:#:#:#

That sucks. I actually had a positive experience with a battery replacement on my iPhone 5 a few years ago. Same process, 30 minutes max, free of charge.