Topping D10 USB DAC

ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,515
I just ordered the Topping D10 mini USB DAC, for my PC rig. It checks all the boxes of small formfactor, USB powered, and impressive specs. Listening impressions/review once it arrives!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B46KQVP

http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/d10/index.htm

361A4331_20180129094705.jpg?auto=format&fm=jpg&fit=crop&w=955&dpr=1

616-SLZx1UL._SL1000_.jpg

dVySclTTc2Q6n5jJXCRT_TB2_7D4k3vD8KJjy0FlXXagBFXa_!!0-rate.jpg?auto=format&fm=jpg&fit=min&h=425&dpr=1

f0gT5tC5SJuVUemt7NMA_TB2iAH4k3vD8KJjy0FlXXagBFXa_!!0-rate.jpg?auto=format&fm=jpg&fit=min&h=425&dpr=1

d10-en-12.jpg



Got Dayens?
«134

Comments

  • ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,668
    Nice... their products look well Engineered for the cost.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,515
    I don't know anything about their stuff, but I agree the price was right.

    Slightly questioning the "VFL-style" display because it just seems like something that would potentially add noise.
    Nice... their products look well Engineered for the cost.

    Got Dayens?
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 9,828

    Clipdat wrote: »
    Slightly questioning the "VFL-style" display because it just seems like something that would potentially add noise.

    If you can hear that noise then you need to call NASA they need your ears to listen for extraterrestrial radio signals from deep space....
    ET could be phoning home

  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,515
    I'll let you know if I can detect any high pitched noise coming from the VFL screen!

    But I primarily meant internal "noise" added by the display simply being on. Kinda like how Marantz has the ability on several of their high end CD players to turn off the display.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    If you can hear that noise then you need to call NASA they need your ears to listen for extraterrestrial radio signals from deep space....
    ET could be phoning home

    Got Dayens?
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,515
    It has arrived!

    8yyff1gj0uxa.jpg
    2aabn5icwgni.jpg
    51dl4l24cn30.jpg
    aok9pfe1u3rs.jpg
    Got Dayens?
  • heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,694
    Specs are pretty much meaningless. The sound is what counts. I am curious why you went with a hi-res component when you play 320kbps mp3's?

    Good luck

    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
  • mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,723
    I fed a stray cat once. And that mother ******* just kept coming back.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,515
    I have a variety of digital music files stored in my collection across various file formats, bit depths and sample rates.
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I am curious why you went with a hi-res component when you play 320kbps mp3's?

    Got Dayens?
  • heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,694
    edited March 15
    Yet initially you did the review on the other dac with mp3's. Also don't expect a $90 dac to really knock your socks off. But I'm not the one who has to listen to said rig.

    Have fun

    H9
    Post edited by KennethSwauger on
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,515
    It will definitely be fun to review this DAC! I don't have any expectations or preconceived notions, I'm going into this with an open mind.

    Interestingly enough, it uses the same ESS chip that's used in several high end DACs including the North Star Designs Excelsio ($2,300) and Supremo ($3,000).

    Obviously this doesn't really mean anything, since the implementation of the chipset is very important. Would be exciting to test them head to head though!
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Also don't expect a $90 dac to really knock your socks off.

    Have fun

    Got Dayens?
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,495
    ...and the analog stage. I hope you enjoy it bud. I'll keep my thoughts to myself, at least until you've given it a fair shake. :)
    audiothesis.com/

    Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,057
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Obviously this doesn't really mean anything, since the implementation of the chipset is very important.

    That's one thing you got right. :)

    Let us know what your ears tell you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

    Music-

    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

    Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • JuanRJuanR Posts: 679
    For the money how could you not give this a shot.....

    Let us know what you think of it for sure!
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 17,644
    JuanR wrote: »
    For the money how could you not give this a shot.....

    Let us know what you think of it for sure!
    [emphasis added]

    Sadly (and I'll admit this here) I've bought a fair amount of [email protected] over the years by applying that logic. :(

    Heck, I've done it within the past month :|

    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

    "Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,515
    edited March 15
    Initial listening is happening now. First impressions to follow!

    blqsx1l4f3e6.jpg

    lzz4s9snhcli.png
    Got Dayens?
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,515
    Front display works!

    yg9dp2dousxk.jpg
    trhvnvsjgzjp.png
    Got Dayens?
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,515
    edited March 15
    Ok, so before I even get into listening impressions, let's talk about that VFD style screen.

    It runs at a refresh rate that is visible to the eye when you affix your eyes on it and then rapidly move your head from side to side, or when you look at the screen and then blink your eyes a few times. Doing these things allows you to see the flicker/refresh of the screen.

    It's a slight detail, but still would've been nice if they made the refresh faster so that you couldn't see the slight flicker under certain circumstances.

    Not a deal killer by any means, but just means that when I find a final place for it, I might put it so that I can't see the screen. No humming or high frequency buzz from it at least!
    Got Dayens?
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,515
    @DSkip - You have some gear that uses VFD style screens, right? Your North Star CDP and DAC have similar displays.

    Ever notice that you can detect the flicker/refresh rate when doing what I described above?
    Got Dayens?
  • tratlifftratliff Posts: 602
    Clipdat wrote: »
    It runs at a refresh rate that is visible to the eye when you affix your eyes on it and then rapidly move your head from side to side, or when you look at the screen and then blink your eyes a few times. Doing these things allows you to see the flicker/refresh of the screen.

    Do you expect to be moving your head this way while using the DAC? Makes me dizzy just thinking about it.
    2 Channel
    Legacy Focus SE, McIntosh C50, McIntosh MC601's, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound Halo JC3, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BDP-105, Technics RS-1500, Furman Elite 15PFi, Douglas Connection Alpha Interconnects, Douglas Connection Alpha Speaker Cables, Pangea Power Cables

    Theater
    Yamaha RX-Z9, Legacy Focus SE (same as 2 Channel system), Def Tech C/L/R 2500, Def Tech BP-2X, Def Tech Pro-Monitors, Vizio M-75

    Office
    Teac NP-H750, Parasound Ztuner, Audio Engine P4N, Grado SR80, Grado iGrado, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, PC running High Rez files

    Living Room
    Yamaha YSP-4100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 60"

    Bed Room
    Yamaha YSP-5100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 70"

  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,515
    edited March 15
    :lol: no, not at all. But still, even sometimes when you just quickly glance down at it after looking at the monitor, you can catch a glimpse of the flicker.

    Just trying to be thorough with my review! :D :smiley:
    tratliff wrote: »
    Do you expect to be moving your head this way while using the DAC? Makes me dizzy just thinking about it.

    Got Dayens?
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 9,443
    Clipdat wrote: »
    :lol: no, not at all. But still, even sometimes when you just quickly glance down at it after looking at the monitor, you can catch a glimpse of the flicker.

    Just trying to be thorough with my review! :D :smiley:
    tratliff wrote: »
    Do you expect to be moving your head this way while using the DAC? Makes me dizzy just thinking about it.

    Oi.....close yer eyes whilst hearing the sounds.
    Then perhaps the 60Hz cycling of the display won't distract you......
    To hear music, at times you have to separate from the components you at trying to hear it through.


    Clippers.........stop listening to the gear....just listen to what it is trying to do to help you hear that music.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,515
    edited March 15
    If I close my eyes I can't listen and post on Club Polk at the same time! :)

    It's only the first day of listening, and it's raining heavily here so my noise floor is already raised from the white noise background.

    Plus my cat is inside sleeping near me, don't wanna play stuff too loud and bother him. :)
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Oi.....close yer eyes whilst hearing the sounds.
    Then perhaps the 60Hz cycling of the display won't distract you......
    To hear music, at times you have to separate from the components you at trying to hear it through.


    Clippers.........stop listening to the gear....just listen to what it is trying to do to help you hear that music.

    Got Dayens?
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 9,828
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »
    :lol: no, not at all. But still, even sometimes when you just quickly glance down at it after looking at the monitor, you can catch a glimpse of the flicker.

    Just trying to be thorough with my review! :D :smiley:
    tratliff wrote: »
    Do you expect to be moving your head this way while using the DAC? Makes me dizzy just thinking about it.

    Oi.....close yer eyes whilst hearing the sounds.
    Then perhaps the 60Hz cycling of the display won't distract you......
    To hear music, at times you have to separate from the components you at trying to hear it through.


    Clippers.........stop listening to the gear....just listen to what it is trying to do to help you hear that music.

    Yes 100%
  • mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,723
    tratliff wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »
    It runs at a refresh rate that is visible to the eye when you affix your eyes on it and then rapidly move your head from side to side, or when you look at the screen and then blink your eyes a few times. Doing these things allows you to see the flicker/refresh of the screen.

    Do you expect to be moving your head this way while using the DAC? Makes me dizzy just thinking about it.

    This has to be one of the most ridiculous complaints I think I’ve ever heard! It’s 89$ dude!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

  • verbverb Posts: 2,563
    Did you return the other one?
    2CH: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,515
    edited March 15
    Shrug. I'm sensitive to refresh rates. I use a 144hz refresh rate LCD on my computer FFS.

    Edit: Is it really one of the most ridiculous complaints you've EVER heard? Personally I wouldn't call certain individuals being more sensitive than others to visual stimulus in their immediate vicinity "ridiculous".
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    This has to be one of the most ridiculous complaints I think I’ve ever heard! It’s 89$ dude!

    Got Dayens?
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,515
    The Meridian? Yes.
    verb wrote: »
    Did you return the other one?

    Got Dayens?
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,515
    I'm still gathering my thoughts and notes for listening impressions and details, but I'll likely be keeping this DAC.

    I'm liking what I am hearing so far.
    Got Dayens?
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 2,534
    Popcorn Pug is too exhausted to make an appearance in this thread.
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 4,388
    @Clipdat when I move my head like that I hear a rattling sound a milk shoots out of my nose, and I don't drink milk. Lactose intolerant and all that. I hate cows. Anyway it is quite distracting from the music so you should stop doing it even if milk doesn't shoot out of your nose.
    Parlor: ifi iDSD Micro*Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables* Wireworld Stratus power cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*BJC Silver-Plated IC's* Bens Silver IC's

    Dungeon: Dancer Mini-Two Diamond*Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*North Star Intenso DAC*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*Wireworld Aurora power cables*IFI nano IDSD bl*Pangea Silver USB*Cambridge CXU*

    Panamax MR5100*Panamax M8-AV-PRO*Furman PST-2+6

    Headgear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S* Sennheiser 6xx

    Hello Kitty boombox

    Spare sortta: Usher N-6361* ifi iDsd nano*Marantz 1504* RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Usher N-6361


    Self Control is over rated.
    Mr. Sharpe wrote: »
    Meh these were extra $70 as an open box item so it didn’t much to me either way:)

«134
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!