New Laser (VAM 1202) Wanted

I need a new laser assembly for my Music Hall CD player, mmf cd-25. I contacted Music Hall and they suggested the usual online auction sites. There seems to be a wide variation in prices and delivery schedules. Does anyone here have these for sale? Otherwise, can anyone recommend a reputable seller for them? Thanks.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Thank you, F1nut.
  • maxward
    Update: I ordered a new laser unit, soldered it in without any problems and it would not read the table of contents. I checked for cold solder joints, continuity and plugs to the pcb several times without luck. I discovered that I still had my father’s Marantz in the garage which is working fine. Before I get rid of the old unit, should I try anything else with the laser? I did not mess with the setting on the tiny potentiometer on the back of the pcb. I’m thinking about getting a cd transport and keeping the old Marantz as a backup. Any suggestions in the range of the Cambridge CXC ($450)?
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    maxward wrote: »
    Update: I ordered a new laser unit, soldered it in without any problems and it would not read the table of contents. I checked for cold solder joints, continuity and plugs to the pcb several times without luck. I discovered that I still had my father’s Marantz in the garage which is working fine. Before I get rid of the old unit, should I try anything else with the laser? I did not mess with the setting on the tiny potentiometer on the back of the pcb. I’m thinking about getting a cd transport and keeping the old Marantz as a backup. Any suggestions in the range of the Cambridge CXC ($450)?

I'm aware that some lasers come with a solder bridge that needs to be removed before it will work (the bridge provides protection from electrostatic discharge IIRC). Did yours have that/did you remove it?
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • F1nut
    It definitely has a solder bridge and will not work unless it's removed.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• maxward
    Thanks, @agfrost. I had not read about that one and the online instructions I used didn’t mention it. They did say to use static precautions, which I did. I’ll look into it.
  • F1nut
    It's nothing nothing than a blob of solder on the tiny PCB attached to the laser body.

President of Club Polk

• maxward
    Thanks. I’ll open it back up and get that done.
  • F1nut
    That should have read, nothing more than...

President of Club Polk

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    This thread refers to a "shorting clip" which may serve the same purpose on the VAM1202. Good luck getting it sorted out.

https://www.hifigear.co.uk/blog/marantz-cd63se-laser-transport-mechanism-replacement/
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • maxward
    Thanks again, guys. I compared my old and new pcbs and the old one has a place where a solder bridge would likely have been, but there was no evidence that one was there. The new one has no solder bridge. Perhaps the metal shorting clip now serves the same purpose. I used the same link to help me with the installation, and it did not mention a solder bridge.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Where's that confounded bridge?
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    It's been burned. >:)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • maxward
    And so have I. I’m tempted to order another laser and try again. Also tempting to labor over the player with a 10-pound sledge for a couple of minutes.
  • F1nut
    maxward wrote: »
    Thanks again, guys. I compared my old and new pcbs and the old one has a place where a solder bridge would likely have been, but there was no evidence that one was there. The new one has no solder bridge. Perhaps the metal shorting clip now serves the same purpose. I used the same link to help me with the installation, and it did not mention a solder bridge.

Interesting. Sorry, I thought they had a solder bridge.

President of Club Polk

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited March 2018
    It should definitely have a shorting solder somewhere. The location can vary due to production mods through the years. I'd do some research and look closer. BTW, the best way to remove those solder pads is with solder wick. Any other way can put too much heat into the board.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • maxward
    Thanks, @billbillw. I will have another look. I’m now using my dad’s old Marantz CD-53,which has the same mechanism, so I’m not going to be in a hurry. I thought I gave it away when he died, but the younger person I gave his other stereo gear to did not own any discs at the time.
  • maxward
    I’m resurrecting this to solicit some opinions. I dove into the old Marantz to clean old grease out of the drawer mechanism and put some fresh stuff in. Not surprisingly, the laser unit is identical to the Music Hall I failed to repair. I am wondering if there would be any audible benefit to completing the laser repair, given that I only use both players as transports. The Music Hall looks like it has a better power supply and is a little heavier, but the Marantz sounds about the same, as far as I can recall. Do you think I’m better off forgetting about repairing the Music Hall or should I keep trying? How about investing in a dedicated transport? Thanks for any ideas.
  • F1nut
    There is another aspect to this that I didn't think about before. It is possible after changing the optical pickup that the player needs to be reset via a computer or CD-rom that only an authorized repair firm would have. You might want to ask Music Hall about that.

President of Club Polk

• maxward
    I’ll email Music Hall about that possibility. Thanks.