Meridian Director USB DAC

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Gotta agree with @clipdat here. This thread was focused mainly on the Meridian and the nuances (audible) of the apodizer filtering used.

@heiney9 you're way out of line. This is a journey here. Take your own path.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Moving back on topic.

@verb if you have a Logitech 2.1 setup, I implore you to replace the Logitech satellites with a pair of the Polk Blackstone TL3 satellites as I just did with my Klipsch Promedia setup. Let me know if your sub's plate amplifier has standard wiring!

Once I get my Amazon credit back, I'm still going to be in the market for a USB powered DAC. I've already tried the Audioquest Dragonly 1.0, Dragonfly Red, and HRT Music Streamer HD.

I'd love to hear other suggestions of USB powered DACs I should consider.
  • verb
    I will. I missed out on your smokin deal the other day.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Yeah, looks like $100/each is the current going rate. They do pop up on eBay from time to time as well.
    verb wrote: »
    I will. I missed out on your smokin deal the other day.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,706
    edited March 2018
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Why on Earth would someone spend $350 to listen to 320kbps MP3's? That's crazy. My guess is the Meridian brought to the forefront the flaws of the source material and it was unpleasant. MP3's are unpleasant.

This post is on topic and on target.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited March 2018
    Just telling you the truth. Sorry it doesn't exactly align with your thoughts. It needed to be said as that's why a computer sound card sounds better against a regarded dac. It's a fact. I in no way attacked you personally. I believe I'm free to comment, and I will. If you continue to use MP3's as a source and pairing it with audiophile type gear you will get the same outcome.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Clipdat
    9c9.gif
    Just telling you the truth. Sorry it doesn't exactly align with your thoughts. It needed to be said as that's why a computer sound card sounds better against a regarded dac. It's a fact. I in no way attacked you personally. I believe I'm free to comment.
    F1nut wrote: »
    This post is on topic and on target.

• Clipdat
    You actually did, because I did spend $350. So therefore I'm "crazy" which is defined as "mentally deranged; demented; insane.".
    Why on Earth would someone spend $350 to listen to 320kbps MP3's? That's crazy.
    It's a fact. I in no way attacked you personally. I believe I'm free to comment, and I will.

It's kindof amusing how wrong you are. Again, way to miss the entire point of this thread which is the apodizing filter. I guess just continue to see red mist when you read the word "mp3" and get behind your keyboard to exert your superiority.

Unfortunately all you are doing is exerting a lot of ignorance instead.
    If you continue to use MP3's as a source and pairing it with audiophile type gear you will get the same outcome.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I am insane but I wouldn't do that
  • F1nut
    Apodizing filter or not, trying to make 320kbps MP3's sound good by using a quality DAC is going to result in disappointment. So why bother, which is the point.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    I don't know Jesse, instead can you tell me what the point is of people shitposting in my DAC review thread and turning it into a mp3 vs. FLAC vs. whatever debate?

Is me kindly asking people who feel like critiquing my source material to simply move on not enough of a deterrent to keep them from posting? Do I need to put a disclaimer in huge bold font at the beginning of my posts that say "Tests conducted with 320kbps mp3s, if this bothers you, stop reading now and go find a different thread to post in."?
    Apodizing filter or not, trying to make 320kbps MP3's sound good by using a quality DAC is going to result in disappointment. So why bother, which is the point.

• verb
    edited March 2018
    Just telling you the truth. Sorry it doesn't exactly align with your thoughts. It needed to be said as that's why a computer sound card sounds better against a regarded dac. It's a fact. I in no way attacked you personally. I believe I'm free to comment, and I will. If you continue to use MP3's as a source and pairing it with audiophile type gear you will get the same outcome.

You sir @heiney9 have ZERO tact. Feel free to continue to be an ARSE if you'd like.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    This thread is hilarious!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    This thread is hilarious!

More like painful
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • F1nut
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I don't know Jesse, instead can you tell me what the point is of people shitposting in my DAC review thread and turning it into a mp3 vs. FLAC vs. whatever debate?

Is me kindly asking people who feel like critiquing my source material to simply move on not enough of a deterrent to keep them from posting? Do I need to put a disclaimer in huge bold font at the beginning of my posts that say "Tests conducted with 320kbps mp3s, if this bothers you, stop reading now and go find a different thread to post in."?

No one turned this thread into one format verses another. It was merely pointed out that trying to polish a t u r d is a waste of time and money. In fact, if you hadn't made such a big deal about a comment or two the thread may have continued on or died. Instead, it's turned into a mess. You cannot dictate what someone can post. However, if it's something so offensive to you that you won't be able to sleep, you have the option to report it.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut

You sir @heiney9 have ZERO tact. Feel free to continue to be an ARSE if you'd like.

I disagree. Brock is a long time, very knowledgeable member. Show some respect.

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Actually, that's exactly what happened when within 12 minutes of my post where I simply mentioned 320s.
    No one turned this thread into one format verses another.

Calling the personal choices someone makes on their audio journey a "waste of time and money" is extremely judgemental, and a great way to alienate new members.
    It was merely pointed out that trying to polish a t u r d is a waste of time and money.

I'm not sure how politely and respectfully asking people to withhold commentary regarding my choice of source is "making such a big deal".
    In fact, if you hadn't made such a big deal about a comment or two the thread may have continued on or died. Instead, it's turned into a mess.

Nope, I can only politely ask for them to refrain. If they don't, then it only serves to make them look immature and uneducated.
    You cannot dictate what someone can post.

• verb
    edited March 2018
    I have no doubt about the knowledgeable folks here on CP. Heck that's why I'm here. To learn. And to have a few yucks along the way!

But as CP members, old and new, we have a responsibility to treat everyone equally with respect. It starts with messaging and tactfulness. There are many ways to guide folks to the promised land. Not just with a sledgehammer.

I have only been here a short while. Even with my relatively short journey, I have seen other newbies that are newer than me dip their toes in and get pounced by others. Is that what we represent? Heck even a few of the recent newbies never came back, IIRC because they got pounced on.

Differences of opinion are great. And abundant here on CP. The debate is great, can be great, but will generally result in your recipient not taking your advice if you are not tactful.

• Clipdat
    I have no problem with people sharing their opinion, I've learned a lot that way on this forum. What I have a problem with is people presenting their personal opinions as the "truth" or "fact" like this:

Differences of opinion are great. And abundant here on CP. The debate is great, can be great, but will always result in your recipient not taking your advice if you are not tactful.

• verb
    edited March 2018
    Replaced always with generally based on my experience! :smiley:
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Just wow, maybe not be so easily offended??
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Clipdat
    I never said the word "offended", or "offensive".

First time it was said is by you just now, and by Jesse up above.
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Just wow, maybe not be so easily offended??

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I'm listening. Please continue.

ddsfijmyt3ro.jpg
  • verb
    Intermission? Gotta get a beer before the play starts up again!
    e3r2q8wt8gbr.png
  • F1nut
    edited March 2018
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I have no problem with people sharing their opinion, I've learned a lot that way on this forum. What I have a problem with is people presenting their personal opinions as the "truth" or "fact" like this:

Differences of opinion are great. And abundant here on CP. The debate is great, can be great, but will always result in your recipient not taking your advice if you are not tactful.

Wow, just wow........I tried, I'm out.

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    You're finally leaving this thread?! I thought the only way to go away is to say "Jesse, you're right and I'm wrong!"
    Wow, just wow........I tried, I'm out.

You're real clever John, how long did it take you to come up with that witty masterpiece?

I also tested the DAC this morning with .wav files and I noticed the same phase shifting ear fatiguing sensation from the apodizing filter. So can you guys stop foaming at the mouth now?
    I was watching reruns of I Love Lucy on my 70” 4K Sony, and for some reason, the picture quality sucks. Must be something horribly wrong with the Sony. The Honeymooners looks even worse, as it is completely unwatchable on the 4K... what a waste of money.