B&K Reference 50 concerns

Options
audioluvr
audioluvr Posts: 5,432
edited March 2018 in 2 Channel Audio
Just recently picked up this pre to upgrade my aging Carver C2. While waiting on my crossover upgrade for my SDA 1C's I have been using some Klipsch KG4's. First thing I noticed is how much better the clarity was on the 50. Imaging was amazing! When I found a super nice pair of SDA 2.3's on the cheap I brought them home and hooked them up and though they sounded ok but the trademark dimensional array and imaging was just not really there. I assumed the crossovers were at fault and banished them to the store room until funds were available for the upgrade.

Back went the Klipsch's and last night I had my first real sit-down to enjoy some music. Sitting in the sweet spot between them I heard something I hadn't heard since auditioning the "new" Carver Sonic Holography many years ago. Sounds were everywhere!

Now I know what you are thinking... Ha ha good weed eh? Nope but I was wondering what kind of mushrooms they put in the Chinese food I just ate!

My question is has anyone else ever experience this with these pre/ pro's? I'm concerned about what my 1C's are going to sound like when they are hooked up.

Thoughts?
Gustard X26 Pro DAC
Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus

Comments

• Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 862
    Options
    I've listened to the ref. 20, 30, and 50 and have never had an issue with the SDA's. Did you make sure to go through the setup procedure for the pre/pro? Double check that you have the fronts set as full range and that you have it in stereo mode, if not it can do some funky things.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Agreed, it took me several hours to set it up for 2 Channel stereo but I finally got it done. It's only sitting in that one spot that I get the effect . It could be some kind of hall effect caused by my rooms acoustics.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,754
    Options
    I currently have the Ref 50 as my pre....it's a fantastic sounding preamp.

Go into your system setup and select 2 channels, stereo, and direct mode as your favorite mode.

This bypasses any eq settings.

Others have told me this, but the newer ggeneration SDA's, like the 2.3, won't throw a soundstage into another zip code like some earlier models. However the Ref 50 on my 2.3TL's throw a nice, wide soundstage.

A clean source component is key, and have found this to play likely the largest factor in imaging and detail.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 699
    Options
    That’s funny .......
    I have a pair of kg 4’s in addition to my 1c’s.....
    Love the kg 4’s ...... fantastic speaker
    Owned both since new .....

Bk
    Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • audioluvr
    edited March 2018
    Options
    gmcman wrote: »
    I currently have the Ref 50 as my pre....it's a fantastic sounding preamp. Agreed. Complicated as DOS code though...

Go into your system setup and select 2 channels, stereo, and direct mode as your favorite mode. Printed out the 64 page manual. I think I have everything turned off that may alter sound. Everything should be FLAT. Never found a way to put direct mode as favorite... Might need some help here.

This bypasses any eq settings.

Others have told me this, but the newer ggeneration SDA's, like the 2.3, won't throw a soundstage into another zip code like some earlier models. However the Ref 50 on my 2.3TL's throw a nice, wide soundstage. My 1C's before upgrading the crossovers had great SDA effect compared to the 2.3's and they were built within one year of each other.

A clean source component is key, and have found this to play likely the largest factor in imaging and detail. So my $59 Panasonic DVD player isn't a good source??? CRAP!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr
    edited March 2018
    Options
    gyosa wrote: »
    That’s funny .......
    I have a pair of kg 4’s in addition to my 1c’s.....
    Love the kg 4’s ...... fantastic speaker
    Owned both since new .....

Bk

I updated the tweets on my KG4's with the Bob Crites titanium's then later went ahead and had him rebuild the crossovers. After break-in they sounded too bright for me so I put the stock tweets back in. AAAAHHHH! Nice! Jazz and live pop/rock sound like you are there! Bass isn't what you get from the SDA's but at higher volumes it's pretty dang good for such a little speaker (and a budget one at that!) Certainly an unknown jem of the Klipsch family
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,754
    Options
    When you are in the system setup screen, Not "Zone 1" but "System Setup" scroll to the input you are using for the CD.

Highlight the favorite mode selection, may be on "Stereo" and change until you get to "Direct"

Might be on number of speakers selection instead of mode, not sure...I can check later.

Others can chime in on the different SDA designs. My 2B's throw a wider soundstage than my 2.3TL's. Not by much but noticeable.

As you clean up the signal to the 2.3's, you will notice the change in spatial separation.