S60 connection.

Hello Everyone, I just got 2 P60s, and they have the option of bi-amp and bi-wiring. My receiver is a AVR-X3300W, which offers me the option of bi-amp on a 5.1 system. The thing is I wanted to run a 7.1, in which case leaves me with Bi-wiring the Front L & R. Should I leave the metal plate and also connected 2 sets of cable to the speaker(4wires), keep the metal plate and one connected 1 set of cables or remove the metal plate anyways and just used 4 sets of cable?

That was confusing!
Thanks
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Just realized I put P60, and they are S60 :wink:
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I am not sure that you meant "bi-amping using your receiver" from what you said, but that is generally not recommended.

And by "generally", I mean "always" when referring to audiophiles in the know. :p
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Leave the metal plates in, use one set of good cables, forget about bi-amping....marketing voodoo.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb wrote: »
    Leave the metal plates in, use one set of good cables, forget about bi-amping....marketing voodoo.

Sorry for the stupid question, but what are the metal plates for ? I'll keep them anyways
  • tonyb
    You need them to run the top and bottom portions of the speakers. That's what those 4 posts on the back are for, 2 on top and 2 below. The metal straps allow you to connect one set of speaker wire to run both top and bottom portions.

Unless your bi-wiring, then you'd remove them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2017
    What Tony said. Welcome to Club Polk Rafael!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • i have played around with bi-amping speakers in the past, when using one amplifier i have seen no benefit at all, some say it can give you better sound quality but im not sure that is true.

instead of the metal plates you could make jumpers, basically you would take small pieces of speaker wire and replace the metal plates with them.. some say the metal in the plates are low quality metal and wont carry the signal as well. so having a matching set of jumpers and main speaker wire might give you a slight advantage in sound quality.

this is easier than bi wire i think and probably gives you the exact same benefit. one set of the speakers terminals on the back of your speakers runs the woofer and the other runs the tweeter.. so you hook your speaker wire to the bottom set of terminals and that drives the woofer, without the jumpers you would not get any sound to the tweeter.

here is a example of jumpers made out of speaker wire instead of metal plates,

preferably i would use the spade connectors for the jumpers and i would use banana plugs for the main wire.. that is how mine are set up.. if you replace the metal jumpers with jumpers made of speaker wire you may or may not hear a difference you would have to try it and let your ears decide.

just make sure you do not touch the speaker wires together while the amp is on, if you disconnect the speaker wires to do something like this and they touch it can blow a fuse in your amp so always turn the amplifiers power off when connecting speakers wires to your speakers.

ftj6zqlrhy4b.png

Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• Do not connect the bi-amp, in my s 60 as a result of this connection a tweeter burned out / denon avr a3r7xnzawtxt.jpg
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    That's not a result of bi-amping, which you weren't really doing anyway. It's a result of clipping, which happened because the AVR was over driven.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    F1nut wrote: »
    That's not a result of bi-amping, which you weren't really doing anyway. It's a result of clipping, which happened because the AVR was over driven.

Yep, and add to that using an AVR to "bi-amp" probably starved them of even more current. These bi-amp features on AVR's was the biggest mistake the brands made because it does nothing and may in fact hurt things by giving the false impression you can use more of the volume dial.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Aleks_rus
    Aleks_rus Posts: 7
    edited March 2018
    Tweeter could not stand the whole power of 1 of the 7 channels denon avr 3400h the directed at tweeter . Burned. Bi-amp not for s60 .
  • tonyb
    Aleks_rus wrote: »
    Tweeter could not stand the whole power of 1 of the 7 channels denon avr 3400h the directed at tweeter . Burned. Bi-amp not for s60 .

The tweeter couldn't stand the volume you had it at, most likely. Tweeters only use around 10-20 watts depending. Keep the volume down, unless there is another reason your turning it way up.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's