RTA 11t's needing Something

2»

Comments

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Westmassguy has Polk crossover knowledge that is exceeded by very few.

The stock 12uF in that central position was the largest as it was not an electrolytic like the 34uF. This could very well have given you the impression that the largest replacement cap would go in that same position.

It's also possible you have duplicated a factory mistake--You indicated in your original post that they didn't sound good--if Polk had the caps in the wrong slots, that would explain poor sound! Not common to find such errors, but not unheard of (one of my RTA 11TL came with a crossover from the RTA 8TL--largely the same but with different small inductor (and resistor IIRC).
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited February 2018
    Oops. My bad. I thought both electrolytics said 12 uF on them. Looking at the schematic shows correct place.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    Ok, fixed. Thanks Dave!

d15yq0nzrxob.jpeg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    More better
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • audioluvr
    Update:

Well I have been listening to these things for a couple of days now and they are FAR better than they were before! I'm anxiously waiting on the RDO-194's because the stock SL2000 seem almost too bright now. Bass and mids are much more defined as well. When I do a side by side comparison between my Klipsch KG4's with the Crites titanium tweeter and Sonicap crossover upgrade, I prefer the RTA's and they are just going to get better once the caps are broke in.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr
    edited March 2018
    These are fully broke in now. Dave was right. These have great clarity and solid bass. Very Happy with the Dayton precision audio caps and Mills resistors!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Great, 11ts are sweet.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    do tell what u think of the RD0's. Did i hear Spikes mentioned :)
    Randy/Maine
  • audioluvr
    boston1450 wrote: »
    do tell what u think of the RD0's. Did i hear Spikes mentioned :)

Yes, the RDO' s were a must because after listening to the sl2000's for a while, my head felt like someone was driving spikes into them... There I mentioned spikes...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC