Spikes vs Slabs

Options
2»

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    Spikes vs. Slabs? That sounds like a hockey game. Or maybe Rollerball?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    Bruce, Home Depot or Lowe's sells them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I was sweating like a slave wrestling with the speakers to place those damn disk without messing up the floor!

If you get the 2 part spikes like shown above you don't put the points on until they are in final placement. Then tip for install. Also if you are on hard floors I've been happy on some speakers removing the little metal or plastic feet and just set the speakers flat on the floor.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    @audioluvr it would have been easier if I could see. Aligning that little divot by feel is a female dog.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Ya, i usually get a buddy to help on stuff like that. Lately my daughter has been fascinated with helping...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    For larger spikes I like the Adona Multi-Element cones. Adona also has a number of other spikes available.

Thanks. I really like the selection on the Adona site.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • F1nut
    Options
    For larger spikes I like the Adona Multi-Element cones. Adona also has a number of other spikes available.

Thanks. I really like the selection on the Adona site.

I thought you would.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    A speaker with a passive radiator is NOT an acoustic suspension speaker.

Spikes are used to transfer cabinet vibrations to the floor in turn cleaning up the mid-range and tightening the bass response.

So mini-saucer/floor protectors (under spikes) do not reverse the affect? They still bond with floor?

The spikes are like an energy transfer conduit, so with the discs the energy is transfered to them and then the floor. Some discs have a thin felt pad on the bottom, which is fine. I've seen others with a thick carpet like pad, which somewhat defeats the purpose of using spikes, so I'd avoid those.

What about miniaturized rubberized pads?

Those would decouple instead of couple.

... Where would one find little felt pads?

Maybe this is why they don't sound so good?

Wally world... In their crafting department. Thin, self adhesive felt sheats in several natural colors (earth tones). $5 for a 5 pack assorted 10x10 squares. Cut to fit. They also work great for using as a gliding material for vinyl wrap on cheap squeegees.
  • Rrusse11
    Rrusse11 Posts: 116
    Options
    Thanks all for the comments and input. Clearly there is no "one size fits all".
    Parts Express has a cheap set of 1/2" spikes I'll try in the interests of experimentation
    with my situation and setup. Certainly not as pretty as the Adona offerings, but I'm sure the effect is the same.
    Cheers gents!
    SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work
  • F1nut
    Options
    Rrusse11 wrote: »
    Parts Express has a cheap set of 1/2" spikes I'll try in the interests of experimentation
    with my situation and setup. Certainly not as pretty as the Adona offerings, but I'm sure the effect is the same.
    Cheers gents!

I'd recommend getting bigger spikes for those 155 pounds speakers.

President of Club Polk

• Rrusse11
    Options
    Rrusse11 wrote: »
    Cheers gents!

I'd recommend getting bigger spikes for those 155 pounds speakers.

I've been thinking about that, looks like the PE offering ends up with a 5/16" bolt.
    Contemplating some 1/2" threaded rod and fender washers top and bottom with
    appropriate nuts. Grind/lathe a point on a 2"- 3" section of rod. That should be beefy enough.
    Thanks for the recommendation!
    SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work
  • F1nut
    Options
    Shakes head.....walks away

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    The "spikes" on the bottom of my 1Bs are Grade 8, 1/4-20 bolts, with the heads cut off, and the shank sharpened to a point on a bench grinder. I added large-diameter washers against the cabinet, secured with a jam-nut. My labor and <$5 in materials. They sit in T-nuts poked into the base.

Some Polk speakers already have threaded inserts, buy bolts to match the inserts.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    his would be the 1/4 x 20 T-nut in the bottom.....
  • Rrusse11
    Options
    My 2.3s already have feet installed, easy to glide them on once upright. I'm thinking along Shurkey's method, get 'em in place and then bring the threaded spike down.
    Ez to lift the speaker vertically an inch or so on a block. Wind the spike to suit the surface. For a hard floor with a puck you only need to extend 4-5mm. Thick carpet may take 20mm.
    Just having them on the heavy tiles has made a difference acoustically. Better bass
    articulation, brought the mids forward. Hmmm, sounds like what F1's talking about.
    SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work