Polk LSI7 fried voice coil

I recently purchased Polk LSI7 speakers used and set them up with a Denon x4000. My receiver went into protection mode and one of the polks smelled pretty bad. I'm pretty sure the voice coil fried from my reading as the woofer doesn't move very well and I feel it rubbing/scratching when I lightly press on it. The crossover looks fine but I'm in no means an expert. I just don't see any cracks or burns. I have a few questions:
- Can I still get parts or can it be repaired?
- What did I do wrong? I noticed the center channel wires were loose but I can't remember how the broken speaker was.
- Can monoprice speaker wires cause issues? They are connected bare wire.
- Is 85DB too loud? All level adjustments were in the negatives and the broken speaker was at 0DB as it's furthest from the seating position.
- Is it just the 4ohm speakers should be on a separate amp?

I have the 2 Polk LSI7's, and 3 8ohm Angstrom speakers for center and surrounds. And a JL Audio E110.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Clipping from the receiver more than likely
  • Should clipping be something I have to listen for or is it very noticeable? I heard of that but didn't think I was hearing clipping
  • pitdogg2
    distortion, compressed sound stage. you said it was at 85db, how many speakers were running at the same time?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    What was your xover setting to the sub?
    Were the speakers set to small?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • I had 5 speakers going at 85db, it was near the end of The Dark Night Rises and sounding pretty good then the receiver went into protection mode. xover is at 60 and I set them to large. Maybe that was another mistake.
  • pitdogg2
    when you run more than two speakers the power to the rest of the speakers decreases dramatically and clipping can occur very fast. yes those should be set to small and the sub should be doing the heavy work.

• txcoastal1
    I had 5 speakers going at 85db, it was near the end of The Dark Night Rises and sounding pretty good then the receiver went into protection mode. xover is at 60 and I set them to large. Maybe that was another mistake.

if you had them set to large the xover at 60 wasn't doing anything
    Large is full range

Speakers set to small, xover at 80
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• So when I fix the speaker. Should I be ok with xover at 80 and set them to small. Or should I also think about adding another amp. The x4000 has pre-outs
  • txcoastal1
    Should not need an amp

• Should I stay away from 85db? Is that close to the max? Thanks for all the help by the way. It's very much appreciated :). I usually have a cheap HTIB setup.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    The 85db volume level isn't too incredibly accurate and with the speakers set to large, they were running full range. That definitely caused a clipped signal from the receiver.

My advice follows the above. Once you have repaired the damaged speaker, run them as small and set the crossover to 80hz.

Bear in mind that the lower the signal and with a 4 ohm load, the chances for a clipped signal increase dramatically.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Ah I wasn't sure if it's a standard or not. Was hoping it was lol. Ok, I'll make those changes. Appreciate the help. I do love these speakers so maybe I'll put them in a 2.1 system for music one day and get 8 ohm speakers for a home theater. This is a dangerously addicting hobby
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited March 2018
    You may have simply been playing it too loud.
    A 5.25" woofer running full range with a very loud movie soundtrack....
    Clipping tends to burn up tweeters.

Did it go out of protection mode after shutting the receiver off and back on?
    Does that channel of the receiver still work?
  • Yes, came back on fine and all channels still work so I got lucky there
  • I mean once i disconnected the fried speaker