SACDs - Where to Buy

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Oh, wow. I knew that was "Presentation" before even reading the title.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I wish Rush would just pick a format SACD PREFERABLY. They have been all over the place. SACD, DVD-Audio, MVI and Blu-ray.
    MVI was a once and done on the Snakes and Arrows advanced resolution disc. I had never heard of it before Snakes and Arrows. I'd really like to see all up to and including Signals get the SACD treatment. Hemispheres came out 4-5 years ago and I really thought more was to come as it sold fast in pre-order.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Oh no. Hemispheres? Here's a softball for ole Captain Jimmy:
    yiigq5n3lw27.png
    For the record, Hemispheres is one of my faves!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    Dang fine SACD. Cost me 25$ and sells way north of that now.
    We need some Queensryche on SACD!!!
  • verb
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Dang fine SACD. Cost me 25$ and sells way north of that now.
    We need some Queensryche on SACD!!!

Exactly. I read somewhere Operation Mindcrime and Empire was released on SACD. Ebay has Empire on DVD-A right now for 60 bucks! Wow!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    edited March 2018
    I have Empire,Tribe and Geoff Tates solo on DVD-A. All are EXCELLENT!
    There is no SACD's I know of trust me I would of had them.
  • verb
    Cool. Did they release Promised Land on either format?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    My SACD order from Acoustic Sounds shipped today.

Let it be known that they get their orders shipped out quickly, happy about that.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    Clipdat wrote: »

Let it be known that they get their orders shipped out quickly, happy about that.

My Acoustic Sounds order just arrived today. A sampler disc, Allman Bros. Brothers and Sisters, Abraxas and LA Woman. Last disc was the only Doors album with a bass player, who happens to be the father of two of my high school buddies. Mind boggling when you realize he played / plays with just one finger.
  • Clipdat
    Lemme know how Abraxas sounds when you listen to it! :)
    Jaybeez wrote: »

My Acoustic Sounds order just arrived today. A sampler disc, Allman Bros. Brothers and Sisters, Abraxas and LA Woman. Last disc was the only Doors album with a bass player, who happens to be the father of two of my high school buddies. Mind boggling when you realize he played / plays with just one finger.

• Viking64
    ...LA Woman. Last disc was the only Doors album with a bass player, who happens to be the father of two of my high school buddies. Mind boggling when you realize he played / plays with just one finger.

That bass player is named "Jerry Scheff". He also played for Elvis.

22wf62sdlszw.jpg
  • dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424

I knew they used a bass player for LA Woman, but didn't know anything about him. Crazy!

Have you played the disc yet? The Doors were my first love when I was a kid. I've been hesitant to plop down $30 for any of their SACD's though, I wasn't sure how much the music would benefit.
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • Jaybeez
    Viking64 wrote: »
    ...LA Woman. Last disc was the only Doors album with a bass player, who happens to be the father of two of my high school buddies. Mind boggling when you realize he played / plays with just one finger.

22wf62sdlszw.jpg

Presley and Costello. Dylan also. I went to High School with his sons Jason and Darin. The former was bassist and lead singer for Chicago from 1984 until last year.
  • Jaybeez
    Lemme know how Abraxas sounds when you listen to it! :)

On Samba Pa Ti right now. Disc is very nice. Clear, with a bit of a bump in the upper bass, but nothing overbearing.
    On a 10 scale I'd give this one a 7.5 - 8.0. Listening at about 80 dB. Next cut gets about 90, as it's one of my favorite tunes from back in the days the album first came out, and nobody had even dreamed of something called a compact disc!
  • Clipdat
    Thanks for the review, glad you're enjoying it so far.

Mine arrived today, but haven't listened to it yet. Just checked out that interesting soft slipcase that they provide the disc in.

In a way, it's kindof cool, like a vinyl record style packaging, but I'm not huge on the fact that there's friction when inserting/removing it. I think a traditional jewel case would've been a better option.
    On Samba Pa Ti right now. Disc is very nice. Clear, with a bit of a bump in the upper bass, but nothing overbearing.
    On a 10 scale I'd give this one a 7.5 - 8.0. Listening at about 80 dB. Next cut gets about 90, as it's one of my favorite tunes from back in the days the album first came out, and nobody had even dreamed of something called a compact disc!

• Jaybeez
    dr1978 wrote: »

I knew they used a bass player for LA Woman, but didn't know anything about him. Crazy!

Have you played the disc yet? The Doors were my first love when I was a kid. I've been hesitant to plop down $30 for any of their SACD's though, I wasn't sure how much the music would benefit.

Totally worth the $$. I'd give this one a 9.5 on a 10 scale. I'm hearing things I've never heard before, and I know every note of this album by heart.
    Sounds like Jim is in the room, and each instrument is clear and distinct.
    Title track up next, but so far this one is a keeper!
  • Jaybeez

22wf62sdlszw.jpg

Check out his book "Way Down". A great read. Starts off a bit slow, but picks up steam and covers a lot of ground in the LA Rock and Roll scene of the 70's.
  • Viking64
    Sounds like Jim is in the room.

Yes, I am right here. Please continue. :)
  • Jaybeez
    Sounds like Jim is in the room.

Yes, I am right here. Please continue. :)

Ha!

Seriously, this disc sounds like I'm in the studio with the original band.
  • Viking64
    Ha!

The only Doors SACD I own is the Best of. I thought it was the DOUBLE Best Of with "L.A. Woman" on it, but it was a much earlier single album with the same name. HAHAHAHA
  • Jaybeez
    Ha!

The only Doors SACD I own is the Best of. I thought it was the DOUBLE Best Of with "L.A. Woman" on it, but it was a much earlier single album with the same name. HAHAHAHA

I still have "Weird Scenes" on Vinyl. Hooked me on the Doors in the late 70's.
  • Viking64
    edited March 2018
    I still have "Weird Scenes" on Vinyl. Hooked me on the Doors in the late 70's.
    I believe I have that too. I haven't seen most of my LPs for almost 2 decades. :dizzy:

EDIT: I went and looked and guess what was in the second box I looked in? :o

The inside of the gatefold was invisible with the flash, so here it is without.

6fibmvessn1o.jpg
    8xsl0mztn289.jpg
  • dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    dr1978 wrote: »

Totally worth the $$. I'd give this one a 9.5 on a 10 scale. I'm hearing things I've never heard before, and I know every note of this album by heart.
    Sounds like Jim is in the room, and each instrument is clear and distinct.
    Title track up next, but so far this one is a keeper!

Well...I can't not buy it now!
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • Clipdat
    edited June 2018
    New SACD has arrived! Thanks again @F1nut for the recommendation!

hnw9f2lsdv7t.png

I'm really impressed with how quickly Acoustic Sounds processes and ships their orders! They also know how to package things so that they arrive in mint condition. Very pleased with their service!
  • Viking64
    New SACD has arrived!

That's the exact version SACD I have of that album. Right down to every Japanese character on the obi. :p
  • Clipdat
    Sweet! I've never listened to this album or any Roxy Music for that matter, so I'm looking forward to putting this on and cranking it up this weekend!
    That's the exact version SACD I have of that album. Right down to every Japanese character on the obi. :p

• Viking64
    Sweet! I've never listened to this album or any Roxy Music for that matter, so I'm looking forward to putting this on and cranking it up this weekend!
    That album has always sounded classy and amazing. And that SACD really does justice to the source material.

You might want to check out Bryan Ferry's solo album "Bete Noire" from 1987. I have a Columbia House version of that and it is probably one of the top 5 best-sounding CD's I own (out of 800 or so). Used copies are very inexpensive.
  • Clipdat
    Cool, thanks for the recommendation!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Yeah, Bete Noire is one of my faves also. Good recommendation.