Spikes vs Slabs

Options
So the initial plan was to put a set of spikes on my 2.3s. However when dealing with ~150#s
of speaker on a set of nails, and moving them around, it was clear that the situation was fraught with potiential floor damage. It's not like they can be easily lifted off the ground and plunked down somewhere else.
So this morning I went trolling through the local shops and came home with a pair of Turkish travertine tiles, 16"x14"x1 1/8" for $40. The speakers already have a round metal foot on the bottom, which works great for getting them off the ground, and easily skidded on carpet for placement adjustment. It was a simple matter to walk them away from the wall
and place tile, walk the speakers back up onto the slabs. I'll get around to bevelling the edges and corners for appearance.
With the paver/tile underneath they now sit on a "dead zone". Hard to say if I'm not just deluding myself, but it's sounding better, more detailed and discrete.
Cheers!
SDA SRS 2.3s
Pair of Carver TFM 35s
Carver C-1 Preamp
CAL Icon MkII CD
RTA 12s, need major work

Comments

• Rrusse11
    Rrusse11 Posts: 116
    Options
    Plinth Placement, say that 3 times fast. {:o)
    SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    Your speakers are still decoupled from the floor, which is exactly the opposite of what you want and the reason to use spikes.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Your speakers are still decoupled from the floor, which is exactly the opposite of what you want and the reason to use spikes.

agreed here....when in doubt, spike it baby.

They make little saucers to put under the spikes if your worried about hard wood floors.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Rrusse11
    Options
    Ohhh, I thought the idea was to seperate it from the floor, not tie the speaker to it.
    I'll stand corrected.
    SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    Spikes couple.

Little saucers de-couple.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Sealed speakers prefer decoupling
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

And the battle begins! Getting my popcorn! :smiley:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • txcoastal1
    edited March 2018
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

And the battle begins! Getting my popcorn! :smiley:

Let me clarify---
    I do not consider a speaker with a passive radiator a sealed speaker

One more clarification, sealed speaker that's not on slab

While building sealed speaker design, sitting on slab the speaker produced great bass.
    When the speakers were placed on a 2nd floor or a sub-floor foundation, "coupled" the bass energy and sound was driven into the foundation
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• verb
    Options
    Somehow the popcorn isn't tasting as good anymore! :smiley:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options

Is Russ there? That might not be butter.....just sayin
  • txcoastal1
    Options

Sorry :)

• Rrusse11
    Options
    Lawdy! Different opinions,,,,,,,,,,, who'd a guessed?

"Sealed speakers prefer decoupling " txcoastal1
    Well I got 'em sealed alright, H-nuts and a good (thin) bed of a mortite equivalent.

"Spikes couple. Little saucers decouple." Shurkey
    My thoughts exactly.

Which brings us to why I would want to tie into my floor? With each channel having it's own sub (another contentious issue I'm sure), I'm not lacking for bass. I'm looking for just the speakers producing the music, not the house.

@verb, When your Tnuts arrive I might have to try spikes vs the slab. Perhaps spikes on slab? Slab on wooden floor? (currently on carpet). Spikes through carpet?
    With so much of this "audio experience" being subjective, and the host of variables involved, the only path I can see is to try it all and see what I hear. {;o)

Certainly with Bonnie Rait running, the bass is beautifully articulate. I did tweak the EQ, more bass and high end treble, mids dialed down a bit, ie. flatter overall.

SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work
  • verb
    Options
    @Rrusse11 that is weird. I dropped em off on Saturday. Just checked the tracking number and they have not left the UPS store! Hmmm. Let me give those guys a call tomorrow.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Rrusse11 wrote: »
    Lawdy! Different opinions,,,,,,,,,,, who'd a guessed?

Spikes through carpet?
    With so much of this "audio experience" being subjective, and the host of variables involved, the only path I can see is to try it all and see what I hear. {;o)

Bingo, nothing set in stone, to many variables especially rooms and room treatments. Moving a coffee table or a couch etc can change a room. Slide down in your listening position, or sit up.

All different

• Rrusse11
    Options
    @txcoastal1,
    Ok, definitions in order. It's a piece of travertine, semi-amporphous limestone I believe. Not what I would define as resonant, mebbe 25#s worth under 2 speaker.
    Not a foundation slab as in 4-6" of reinforced concrete.

On the PR, my understanding is that essentially the Polks are a sealed acoustic suspension system. The action of the drivers, through air pressure, drive the PR.

@verb, You need butter AND a sprinkling of some of my 8yr old cheddar to bring that popcorn alive my man!
    SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work
  • Rrusse11
    Options
    "All different"
    Vive la difference! Let alone aging ears,,,,,,,,
    SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    I did tweak the EQ, more

Oh boy here we go...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Rrusse11
    Options
    @audioluvr, yeah,,,,,,,,,,, getting the shield up to deflect the rain of arrows.
    SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    bsv8vnbbmblt.gif
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • F1nut
    Options
    A speaker with a passive radiator is NOT an acoustic suspension speaker.

Spikes are used to transfer cabinet vibrations to the floor in turn cleaning up the mid-range and tightening the bass response.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options

Spikes are used to transfer cabinet vibrations to the floor in turn cleaning up the mid-range and tightening the bass response.

So mini-saucer/floor protectors (under spikes) do not reverse the affect? They still bond with floor?
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Rrusse11
    Options
    "Spikes are used to transfer cabinet vibrations to the floor in turn cleaning up the mid-range and tightening the bass response. " F1nut

Thank you sir for the detail as to spike purpose. So it dampens extraneous cabinet
    movement or resonances?
    SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work
  • F1nut
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »

So mini-saucer/floor protectors (under spikes) do not reverse the affect? They still bond with floor?

The spikes are like an energy transfer conduit, so with the discs the energy is transfered to them and then the floor. Some discs have a thin felt pad on the bottom, which is fine. I've seen others with a thick carpet like pad, which somewhat defeats the purpose of using spikes, so I'd avoid those.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    "Spikes are used to transfer cabinet vibrations to the floor in turn cleaning up the mid-range and tightening the bass response. " F1nut

Thank you sir for the detail as to spike purpose. So it dampens extraneous cabinet
    movement or resonances?

Yes.

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    What are some spike model recommendations for a pair of SDA 1Cs?
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options

The spikes are like an energy transfer conduit, so with the discs the energy is transfered to them and then the floor. Some discs have a thin felt pad on the bottom, which is fine. I've seen others with a thick carpet like pad, which somewhat defeats the purpose of using spikes, so I'd avoid those.

What about miniaturized rubberized pads?
  • verb
    Options

I'm using these from PartsExpress:
    r9itb83gu339.png

1.25" Diameter at the base and 1.5" tall
  • F1nut
    Options

Ray, if not on carpet Track Audio spikes at Music Direct are very high quality as are the matching floor discs. However, they are not long enough for most carpet and therefore will not pierce through to the underlying surface. For larger spikes I like the Adona Multi-Element cones. Adona also has a number of other spikes available.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »

Those would decouple instead of couple.

President of Club Polk

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited March 2018
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »

Those would decouple instead of couple.

Well I'll be damned, that's all I had to set the disk on the wood floor. I was sweating like a slave wrestling with the speakers to place those damn disk without messing up the floor! Where would one find little felt pads?

Maybe this is why they don't sound so good?