Have a question for Waze users...

Thinking of ditching my GPS unit and going with my smart phone and have read a number of good things about Waze. However, I need to know if it has the capability of storing say all Starbucks in Oregon without having to key in each one individually..
Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC

Comments

• Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    I'm getting ready to go the other way. Waze sends me through the worst neighborhoods in LA and I burn so much data it's ridiculous. Plus Garmin has a backup camera that I can mount on my '96 F350 and see through the GPS unit.
    So many people use Waze anymore that shortcuts aren't shortcuts anymore. At least in my small neighborhood of 10 million drivers.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited March 2018
    I tried Waze a bit but it would often give me bad directions. Also the "beeping" at other drivers as well as social and other types of interactions is more distraction while driving than I want. Google Maps is a lot more accurate and overall just better. Ironic given that Google owns Waze.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I tried Waze a bit but it would often give me bad directions. Also the "beeping" at other drivers as well as social and other types of interactions is more distraction while driving than I want. Google Maps is a lot more accurate and overall just better. Ironic given that Google owns Waze.

Yea I have used Waze and its usually fine for me, but I think that Google maps is still the best. If you use any of it a lot, data is certainly an issue. I have unlimited but of course that gets throttled at a certain point.

As for the OPs question, I don't think so. It will remember previous Starbucks that you went to, and when you type in starbucks it will either a) give you the nearest ones or b) if you are already getting directions to your destination, it will give you possible stops along the way. I really do like the latter feature. That one of the main reasons I still use Waze sometimes...otherwise its google maps.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I didn't know what "Waze" was to be honest. Sounded like some sort of sex toy. Sometimes it's a good thing to be wrong. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,837
    Dunkin’ Donuts is better, they make a much better Caramel Macchiato.... :smiley:

That’s my only input.. :smile:
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    starkiller wrote: »
    Thinking of ditching my GPS unit and going with my smart phone and have read a number of good things about Waze. However, I need to know if it has the capability of storing say all Starbucks in Oregon without having to key in each one individually..

You may have an issue if you drink that much coffee...

In the search field, when you start typing Starbucks, it'll show all local spots. ALSO, Starbucks has an accommodation with Waze and their locations just show up anyway.

But seriously, you really shouldn't drink that much coffee.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    For day to day commute driving, I hate Waze.

Google Maps is better for that. Google Maps also has more information on restaurants, gas stations, stores, etc. Waze doesn't have some of that. Also, Waze always sends me in a way that requires way more turns, more stops, etc. ETA ends up the same or longer!

Now, on long trips on the interstate, Waze is pretty good. It warns you about police, wrecks, debris, etc.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    GPS is not the problem
  • starkiller
    starkiller Posts: 2,723
    thanks for all the info folks!
    Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC