Power distribution and conditioning

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Glad to hear you like it. What you described is exactly what happens when you remove excess noise from the signal. Hearing is believing....rock on.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I almost didn't want to believe my ears, but I believe it did create a blacker background.

I changed a lot of different things in the system at once. I put my 703s on isolation pads with a downward angle toward my listening position, I put Wireworld Eclipse 7 RCA into the mix from preamp out to power amps, and I added a tube to my Schiit Saga preamp - which I did not hear a difference at all from.

Anyway, during my listening the thing I kept coming back to is how clean and coherent everything was. And when the notes would decay out, it just sounded so pristine.

Excited to try out an aftermarket power cord in the near future.
    tonyb wrote: »
    Glad to hear you like it. What you described is exactly what happens when you remove excess noise from the signal. Hearing is believing....rock on.

• Clipdat
    Oh, something else that I forgot to mention, I'm trying to make a mental shift in the way that I approach my setup.

Instead of focusing on what one particular cable does or one tube change does, I'm trying to think of it as one whole system that works together and has good synergy.

The goal is to get to a point where everything is working together nicely and I can not touch the configuration of it for a while.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Well, that's no fun! How can we spend your money if you're working towards a "hands off" approach to your system.
  • Clipdat
    Got any power cord recommendations?

Aftermarket PCs and a rack that doesn't wobble when my TT is on it are on my to-do list.
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Well, that's no fun! How can we spend your money if you're working towards a "hands off" approach to your system.

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    I would try some AQ power cables.

Or some shunyatas
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Clipdat
    Thanks. I'll keep my eyes open in the FS thread.
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I would try some AQ power cables.

Or some shunyatas

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I would be careful with the Venom power cords. A few years ago, I bought two at $100 each for my Cambridge Audio amps, and haven't looked back. I was so amazed what a $100 cable could do that two weeks later I had to find out what a $1000 cable could do. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited March 2018
    I have two Shunyata's, a Python Alpha and a Venom. The Venom, IMO, is nothing special. The Python is a whole other story. The Venom I have could be had for a song...well, maybe a song and a dance. Wouldn't mind a bag of Cheetos as well.

Have the PS Audio AC3, which was a good buy at $99, but, nothing like the Python.9 The WW Equinox kind of goes in the nothing special category for me as well.

I know there has to be other great ones out there, it's just hard to try if I can't catch a great deal. $1k for a cable gets close to JoeyV territory, and I can't run with them guys.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I almost didn't want to believe my ears, but I believe it did create a blacker background.

I changed a lot of different things in the system at once. I put my 703s on isolation pads with a downward angle toward my listening position, I put Wireworld Eclipse 7 RCA into the mix from preamp out to power amps, and I added a tube to my Schiit Saga preamp - which I did not hear a difference at all from.

Anyway, during my listening the thing I kept coming back to is how clean and coherent everything was. And when the notes would decay out, it just sounded so pristine.

Excited to try out an aftermarket power cord in the near future.
    tonyb wrote: »

I'm with ya. I totally changed everything in my rig since joining CP. But that is another story. My new rig: 6 equations, 6 unknowns, impossible to solve. I can say my system as a whole sounds way better. So now I have my new baseline. Going forward, I can swap out components one at a time, and like you should be able to discern any differences. Hopefully for the better! What fun!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    It would certainly be an interesting test to see if I could hear a clear difference between a $100 and $1000 power cord. My gut reaction is that I would not be able to tell a huge difference.

Maybe that's just because like Kerry said below, $1000 PCs are way out of my league.
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I would be careful with the Venom power cords. A few years ago, I bought two at $100 each for my Cambridge Audio amps, and haven't looked back. I was so amazed what a $100 cable could do that two weeks later I had to find out what a $1000 cable could do. :)

Sounds like you've tried several different brands. Were they all dramatically different?

I was thinking about jumping in blind to some Wireworld power cords since I already have their interconnects. However, I'm not a huge fan of how their cable jackets are made out of stinky PVC and off-gas something awful for several weeks.

I recall a PS Audio power cord being mentioned in a review that I read, and the author actually described the sound as something like "cold, hard, and slow", and attributed it to the way the cable used ferrite material in the jacket for shielding.

It seems crazy that a power cord could alter the sound to that extent.
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I have two Shunyata's, a Python Alpha and a Venom. The Venom, IMO, is nothing special. The Python is a whole other story. The Venom I have could be had for a song...well, maybe a song and a dance. Wouldn't mind a bag of Cheetos as well.

Have the PS Audio AC3, which was a good buy at $99, but, nothing like the Python.9 The WW Equinox kind of goes in the nothing special category for me as well.

I know there has to be other great ones out there, it's just hard to try if I can't catch a great deal. $1k for a cable gets close to JoeyV territory, and I can't run with them guys.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Before I went with Shunyata I was using various Pangea cables. However, at the time they didn’t offer a PC with a 20 amp connector, which is what the CA amps needed. After that I haven’t tried anything else. As long as something works I will stick with it. I would rather listen to music than compare the nuances of various cables. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    I was considering Pangea cables from a cost to entry standpoint, figured it would be a good starting point.

That being said, I don't like the idea of supporting an AA house brand. Shrug.
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Before I went with Shunyata I was using various Pangea cables. However, at the time they didn’t offer a PC with a 20 amp connector, which is what the CA amps needed. After that I haven’t tried anything else. As long as something works I will stick with it. I would rather listen to music than compare the nuances of various cables. :)

• TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    I like the Signal Magic and Digital Reference Power Cables that I used to replace all of the power cables in my main system. I bought them in the classified section a couple of months ago from dorokusai.

Even new the price is right. I'm going to pick up a couple more Digital Reference PCs and a Video Reference PC so I can move a couple of cables so I'll have two systems with them.

signalcable.com/power_cables.html
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• Clipdat
    Looks like a no nonsense cord. Also like that they appear to be flexible.

I think @halo has enjoyed these on his power amps.

I wonder if they can make a length shorter than 3 feet, I would need a nice short ~1.5' for my outlet to Dectet.
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    I like the Signal Magic and Digital Reference Power Cables that I used to replace all of the power cables in my main system. I bought them in the classified section a couple of months ago from dorokusai.

Even new the price is right. I'm going to pick up a couple more Digital Reference PCs and a Video Reference PC so I can move a couple of cables so I'll have two systems with them.

• TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    Looks like a no nonsense cord. Also like that they appear to be flexible.

I think @halo has enjoyed these on his power amps.

I wonder if they can make a length shorter than 3 feet, I would need a nice short ~1.5' for my outlet to Dectet.
    TNTsTunes wrote: »

The ones I got from doro included two that were shorter then 3 feet I believe. One is about 18" and another was about 24". They were all the perfect length that I needed.

I'd contact them, odds are they will hook you up. At least that is what I'm hoping when I order more.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    @Clipdat @TNTsTunes

Frank runs Signal Cable and he’s been a supporter of Club Polk for a very long time. @dorokusai started that relationship with him. Frank/Signal Cable still offers a discount to the members of the forum so be sure to mention that when you speak with him.

As far as flexibility, the cables are thick and heavy, so they’re not the most flexible out there. If you need flexible, you may want to look elsewhere.

And Drew is right, I’m using mostly Signal Cable products in my setup. They work well for me and the price is very good. I have a few MIT cables in the mix, and even some (*gasp*) Monster Cables in the “HT” as well as a an AQ cable here or there. Whatever synergy I’ve stumbled across is working really well so I’m not going to be changing anything else out anytime soon.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    There are some new AQ cables that just came out - called the Storm series. Done by Garth Powell of furman fame.

The price range starts in the hundreds to $4600 for the Dragon at 1m.

I know they will come out with a Wel2 in the storm series, but I am not spending that much on a 1M cord.

And for me to move to the Dragon at 1m for an improvement over what I have (Wel1), it doesnt make sense for me. But for someone starting out clean, perhaps the Tornado or Thunder would work superb. Lots of good reviews, I have not read a negative yet.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Check out Cullen Cable. I have his Gold Power cord on my amp, a pair of the Copper Series XLR's from my Oppo to P5, and the Midline Crossover Series RCAs from DAC to Headphone amp for my work rig. All top notch & very flexible.

Cullen Cable

If you contact Patrick through one of his US Audiomart ads, you can get a discount as well.
  • Clipdat
    Thanks. I was going to call anyway to inquire about some custom lengths and terminations of the speaker cable he offers (for my computer speakers).

Thanks for the heads up on the stiffness, I just assumed by visuals alone that they would be more flexible than Pangea, but maybe not.
    halo wrote: »
    Frank runs Signal Cable and he’s been a supporter of Club Polk for a very long time. @dorokusai started that relationship with him. Frank/Signal Cable still offers a discount to the members of the forum so be sure to mention that when you speak with him.

As far as flexibility, the cables are thick and heavy, so they’re not the most flexible out there. If you need flexible, you may want to look elsewhere.

AQ is going off the deep end with some of their pricing. Way above my pay grade unfortunately.
    Joey_V wrote: »
    There are some new AQ cables that just came out - called the Storm series. Done by Garth Powell of furman fame.

The price range starts in the hundreds to $4600 for the Dragon at 1m.

Nice. Thanks for the heads up. I've seen Cullen mentioned before here on the forum. He seems to have a different approach toward construction of his cables versus Signal. For example some of them like the Gold that you have aren't shielded, but instead have the internal wires braided for noise rejection.

Lots of options to consider!
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Check out Cullen Cable. I have his Gold Power cord on my amp, a pair of the Copper Series XLR's from my Oppo to P5, and the Midline Crossover Series RCAs from DAC to Headphone amp for my work rig. All top notch & very flexible.

Cullen Cable

If you contact Patrick through one of his US Audiomart ads, you can get a discount as well.

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I recently ordered some Furutech power cables and connectors from Doug (https://www.douglasconnection.com/main.sc)...should be waiting for me at home today. There are several choices/prices to choose from, and you can get just about any length you want (i.e., they can be custom-made). In the end, I decided to DIY a few sets in order to save some money, so I gave Doug my parameters of use, lengths, and budget, and he put together a proposal for me WITH a club Polk discount B) It will take a few days for me to assemble them and have a listen. I basically went with the Furutech mid-tier power connection products.

FWIW, I did a few sets of DIY interconnects from Doug last year using Furez cable and his own 'brand' of locking RCA plugs. They turned out well, albeit his baseline products, I think. I wanted to start basic and just see how it went. I see no need to upgrade...for now.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Thanks. I was going to call anyway to inquire about some custom lengths and terminations of the speaker cable he offers (for my computer speakers).

Thanks for the heads up on the stiffness, I just assumed by visuals alone that they would be more flexible than Pangea, but maybe not.

Drew, I’ve never had the Pangea power cables so I cannot compare their flexibility. Compared to some of the PS Audio “Plasma” power cables I have, which are very flexible, the Signal Cable power cords are much heavier, thicker, stiffer, and more difficult to route around the back of the rack and the components.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Regarding the flexibility/stiffness of Pangea cables...I remember taking a picture of an AC-9SE when it arrived and demonstrating how much space it takes to make a 90 degree turn in the cable. If I can dig it up, I'll post it here. Their AC-14 cables are much more flexible for source components. As far as sound, I can't compare them to any other brands except stock cords, because I've never owned other brands, but I can say the SE versions are a considerable step up for their standard model on the 14 series. I never owned a standard 9 series, just the SE versions.

Clipdat, you'll appreciate those vice-grip outlets if you ever use a heavy stiff cable because they can easily work their way out of a standard outlet.

• Clipdat
    Man, that sort of stiffness just seems excessive and like a convenient way to sell longer lengths.
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Regarding the flexibility/stiffness of Pangea cables...I remember taking a picture of an AC-9SE when it arrived and demonstrating how much space it takes to make a 90 degree turn in the cable. If I can dig it up, I'll post it here. Their AC-14 cables are much more flexible for source components. As far as sound, I can't compare them to any other brands except stock cords, because I've never owned other brands, but I can say the SE versions are a considerable step up for their standard model on the 14 series. I never owned a standard 9 series, just the SE versions.

Clipdat, you'll appreciate those vice-grip outlets if you ever use a heavy stiff cable because they can easily work their way out of a standard outlet.

• Hermitism
    Here they are. For size comparison, this is the AC-9SE next to a garden hose and my manscaper.

neb5nmhmrevx.jpg
    ca2w7b8noapw.jpg
    s6scy5ei9dz4.jpg

• Hermitism
    Man, that sort of stiffness just seems excessive
    If I had a dollar for every time...

• Clipdat
    Oh my what an excessively stiff and large power cable you have. Allow me to handle it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_60iqTjAmc
  • Hermitism
    That video made me feel warm.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    She has purdy hands. I'm not sure how that cable stayed so 'flexible' while she was holding it...and why did she have to keep her mouth partially open like that? The way she looks at the cable makes me feel funny.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon