Opinions on 1962 The Fisher President MkVII console...

Got a lead on one of these and thinking about getting it for my father in law. All I know of Fisher is the junk they were producing in the late 80’s and 90’s... the console appears in nice shape and has a Gerard table and R2R built in.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    From what I remember some early Fishers are well respected. Is it tubed?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    It is tubes, lots of them.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,164
    Probably the Holy Grail of consoles according to a lot of people on Audiokarma. They sold for big money back then.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • nooshinjohn
    Looks like it has a very early version of Sonic Holography or SDA built into it called “Stereo Dimention”. Works by blending an inverted signal from one channel to the other, creating a wider sound field. Interesting....

• Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    edited March 2018
    Is this Father in Law as in the guy who you could bribe (with a refurbed console) to take his potato-baking wife off your hands?

Fisher President IV Console (1960)
    (3000-3)

Chassis: 101-R, 400-C, 100 amp, RK-1 (remote)

42 Tube/140 Watts (peak)

Price: $2,595 ($2,195 without tape

recorder)http://www.fisherconsoles.com/index.html
  • nooshinjohn
    Going to check it out tommorow and make an offer. The last I could see on one of these was an unrestored one selling for over 3k, so it’s at least worth the look.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    good stuff. Check AK for info on Fisher consoles.
  • nooshinjohn
    Really heartbroken over this... got there to see a nearly perfect cabinet, without flaw of any kind that I could see. Sure, it could use a good cleaning and some attention to detail, but for 55 years old, it was a thing of exquisite beauty.

Then I opened up the heavy bi-fold doors. The cabinet had been gutted just an hour or so before I got there. The speaker grills cut to pull the drivers, electronics ripped from their bays and drawers, with the old wires hanging from their holes.

Before I walked out in disgust, I asked to speak with the guy running the sale and informed him what he allowed to occur. For a lousy 300 bucks, he allowed a 5000.00 console, of which very few were ever made, to be destroyed. The owner of the piece, cared for with obvious passion by the deceased, had been violated in horrific fashion, and he allowed it. The family trusted his company to respectfully sell this item, and instead let it be destroyed where it sat, not to mention shorting the family by not pricing it accordingly.

I felt like I witnessed a crime today...

• Jaybeez
    Wow .... just wow.
  • nooshinjohn
    I am going to see about recovering the cabinet before it too is scrapped. If I get it I will convert it to a record storage cabinet. I will make some effort to find the correct components for it first, but failing that, at least it won't have a dismal ending in a dump somewhere...

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Wow....such a waste, unbelievable.

I would certainly get the cabinet, it is cool on its own.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • pitdogg2
    Some people's children......
    Idiot
  • nooshinjohn
    The Cabinet is mine for free. I just need to be there Tuesday morning before 10am to bring it home. This is an example of what it looks like, but mine is in better shape. As I said before, there are no chips or dings in the one I am getting.

ysk3y2cy7zay.jpg

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Rock on John! Now do something worthy with it!

And we expect pictures of your unit too lol.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohn

The only one that sees my unit is my wife.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517

The only one that sees my unit is my wife.

HA! LIAR! We know you and Russ have a thing :wink:

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohn
    He's likes to be blindfolded.

• pitdogg2
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    The Cabinet is mine for free. I just need to be there Tuesday morning before 10am to bring it home. This is an example of what it looks like, but mine is in better shape. As I said before, there are no chips or dings in the one I am getting.

ysk3y2cy7zay.jpg

Very nice. I love the old console units. I just restored a Philco 41-290. The craftsmanship on the cabinet is phenomenal.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,164
    The owners obviously did not know what they had
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • nooshinjohn
    The owners obviously did not know what they had

For sure on that. The house itself is a gut job. Very weird place.

• Jaybeez
    You’ve given me an idea for record storage ...
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Unreal for sure. To let a cabinet like that be scrapped out is shameful at best.

yes make the best you can with it. Bummer some of those consoles really sounded good. .
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • nooshinjohn
    mrloren wrote: »
    Unreal for sure. To let a cabinet like that be scrapped out is shameful at best.

yes make the best you can with it. Bummer some of those consoles really sounded good. .
    This one was considered among the Holy Grails for console collectors. A sad end for sure. As I said above, I will do my best to find the proper components to put back in it, but at the very least, the cabinet will make for a nice record case.

• nooshinjohn
    Not going to toss my back out, renting a truck and have to figure out how to move this on my own, so I am having it picked up. A truck would have host me at least 75 bucks with gas and rental fees, so for a Benjamin, I am letting someone else do the hard stuff.

• nooshinjohn
    The preamp that was pulled from my console is on EBay.... for 3800.00!

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Probably by the same **** who just ripped it of that console an hour before you got there.

• nooshinjohn
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Probably by the same **** who just ripped it of that console an hour before you got there.
    I am certain of it. The guys at AK agree.