Conrad Johnson vs. Carver Amp

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    About dang time you get off your lazy butt and pull the trigger. congrats.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    verb wrote: »
    kharp1 wrote: »
    What else were you going to do with that money? Probably something silly like buy food or medecine. I believe you've made a wide decision all around and look forward to your thoughts on the CJ.

Now, what else can we help you spend your money on.

Thanks @kharp1 How about a VTI rack shipped to your house for repair? :wink:

For what I make it'd be cheaper to buy a new rack. Quality doesn't come cheap.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    So I pulled the trigger on the CJ! I'm picking it up this week! Enablers you are! Happy I am! :smiley:

Ha! Ha! Sucker! No really, you should be happy with that purchase. Some day I'll have money too...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Thanks brother. Can't wait. Pick it up Wednesday!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on how it sounds vs. the Carver.
  • verb
    Thanks. Me too! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    So, you're getting a Conrad johnson? Eeeewwwwww.

e7spdkk3c4qu.jpg
  • verb
    Ugh! Trying to keep dinner down! :smile:
  • Viking64
    Ugh! Trying to keep dinner down! :smile:

Well then, don't....swallow so fast. :o
  • verb
    Captain Jim, aka "Mr in the Gutter" : :p
    Appropriate to or from a squalid, degraded condition. For example, The language in that book belongs in the gutter. An antonym, out of the gutter, means “away from vulgarity or sordidness,” as in That joke was quite innocent; get your mind out of the gutter.

In the gutter | Define In the gutter at Dictionary.com
    www.dictionary.com/browse/in-the-gutter
  • Viking64
    Now I am absolutely gutted. :'(
  • verb
    Finally! The last word! I think not! :smiley: FWIW we all still love you!
  • Clipdat
    Close. He's getting Conrad's Johnson.
    Viking64 wrote: »
    So, you're getting a Conrad johnson? Eeeewwwwww.

• audioluvr
    edited March 2018
    What better to break in your 1C's with!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2018
    That thing looks clean enough to eat off of!
    Conrad Johnson in the house!
    This thing is a beast! 57lbs!

• nooshinjohn
    Conrad Johnson in the house! gmoqwcmqdz9j.jpg
    This thing is a beast! 57lbs!

THAT is the amp you were talking about? What a piece of junk, and waste of money. Everybody knows you could have done much better with a Kraco amp. :p;)

J/k... that is a serious piece of gear. Congrats on money well spent, and I look forward to the upcoming 7 page professional review, with measurements and comparisons to Pass, Krell, and Levinson.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    Thanks! I'll have to brush up on my audiophile vernacular!
    Kraco - I remember those! :smiley:
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    that's a very nice piece

Congratulations!!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Viking64
    I thought it was going to be black. :'(
  • verb
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I thought it was going to be black. :'(

Champagne Gold tastes, beer budget! :smiley:
  • verb
    Popped the hood. Verified the A mod was performed. This thing is clean! Gonna take it for a spin this weekend!
    zpup7hdikjn5.jpg
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    Very nice looking amp bud! Looking forward to your impressions
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • audioluvr
    Popped the hood. Verified the A mod was performed. This thing is clean! Gonna take it for a spin this weekend!

Quit teasin you bastidge!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• nooshinjohn
    Stop stalling and start reviewing. Don't make us come over there. :p

• verb
    So I finally lugged this 60lb beast down into the basement. Placed it on the floor (yes I know...), but dared not put it on the glass shelf on the rack. And, it doesn't fit!
    Notice the TFM35x in CJ's rear view mirror!
    85x3jzx5z7ua.jpg
    I started with my ever increasing favorite reference CD, Evanescence Synthesis. Tracks 1 -5.

Same setup, listening position, volume levels, etc.

All I can say is wow! For starters, this amp is definitely warmer sounding than the Carver. The highs were noticeably clearer and less bright. Mid ranges including Amy Lee's vocals were more detailed. This CD does it for me as the mix of rock and symphonic tones emphasized how well the CJ performed. Even during louder segments of a song I could more accurately pinpoint the xylophone notes. Amazing! Much more detailed than the Carver.

Soundstage was noticeably larger. I could hear nuances left/right and front/back up/down that I literally never noticed before!

Next, I decided to clobber my ears a bit and played tracks 3 and 4 of Disturbed Immortal. I like those tracks because they are instrumentals only of the first 2 tracks. Same levels as I normally do as well.

This baby has punch! The bass notes were again noticeably tighter, and quick, but powerful. The one thing that struck me was the increased feeling of SPL! I could feel more bass at the same location!

How did @F1nut characterize his experience at Polk Headquarters? Oh yes, the sack got blown back!

Even during the rampage of the Disturbed tracks, I could, again, identify detail never noticed before. Little riffs of a guitar here and there, the crispness of cymbals, snare drum, etc. was much cleaner.

More to come, but this amp is a keeper!

I still love the Carver, but the CJ takes everything to another level! My journey continues. :smile:

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Nice, now all you need is a LS-100 tube preamp :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • verb
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Nice, now all you need is a LS-100 tube preamp :)

Yeah, have not gone down the tube rabbit hole, yet! :smile:
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    The LS100 tube rabbit hole not that deep...simple 2-6SN7's and 1-GZ34 rectifier
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • verb
    That thing is a beauty. Love the bling factor. Jeez got me going. Resist, resist! :smile: