Anyone Try "Whole 30" Diet

Due to some health concerns, I am on Day 2 of the Whole 30....Inquisition. No dairy, grains, or SUGAR for 30 days. I may have some undiagnosed food allergies which this may help with. Enough whining....anyone try this? If so, how did it go and what did you eat....because I generally hate vegatables....looking for ideas of stuff to eat that doesnt suck!

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Pretty sure @mantis has a thread about it? Never tried it personally. Good luck!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    Good luck is the correct phrase my friend....thanks!
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I've done it, and I wish I had the willpower to make it Whole forever.... but I don't!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I've done it, and I wish I had the willpower to make it Whole forever.... but I don't!

That's the thing with modern "diets", most are doomed to fail. When choosing an eating plan, you have to make sure it's one you can live with for the rest of your life. Otherwise, once the goal is achieved, and you stop eating that diet, the weight comes back.

"undiagnosed food allergies" ?? I might suggest it may be a digestion problem than an allergy problem. Always a good idea to cut back on the grains and sugar, sugar especially. Creates havoc in the gut, and really has no redeeming value towards good health.

Good luck on the diet plan, mix in some exercise and moderation on your "cheat" days. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kevhed72
    Thanks Tony....I have been running my --- off but my diet has....blah. My wife did it all 30 days and found she now physically gets ill when consuming 'bad' food loaded with sugar and other stuff, which maybe is a good thing because she has changed her eating habits for good. In general my Triglyceride levels are way too high, especially compared to the other cholesterol measurements.
  • tonyb
    edited March 2018
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Thanks Tony....I have been running my --- off but my diet has....blah. My wife did it all 30 days and found she now physically gets ill when consuming 'bad' food loaded with sugar and other stuff, which maybe is a good thing because she has changed her eating habits for good. In general my Triglyceride levels are way too high, especially compared to the other cholesterol measurements.

What happened with the wife, is she basically cleansed herself. Removing the urge for those nasty foods. When the gut has more bad bacteria in it than good, it creates urges for more of those things, like snack foods, sugar, bad carbs, etc. When you get those urges, it's your bad bacteria in your gut saying "feed me".

That's why having more good bacteria in the gut removes those junk food urges. When you try to re-introduce the junk food, the body retaliates by making you sick.

Most don't even realize, most the time it's your diet making you sick, not some other foreign thing. You may feel slow, lethargic, lack of focus, and just want to generally be a couch potato with your Netflix. That's a sure sign to change your eating habits, turn off the tv and go do something even if it's just walking the dog.

After my wife had a heart attack, at the age of 48 this past summer. She knew she had to change things, exercise a bit more, eat a bit better. I started her on my "concoction", that she previously made fun of me for. Consisted of a cup of tea, with about a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, some lemon/fresh ginger, and some turmeric....though I used cinnamon, can't stand the taste of turmeric. Once in the morning, once at night. Then....just simply take the dog for a walk every day. Didn't change much else at that point and lost 15 pounds rather quickly. She has a job where she pretty much sits all day at a computer, so introducing some exercise was important. Walking is the easiest form of exercise one can do. Didn't take long before she wanted a fitbit gizmo to keep track of her steps while walking. Once around my block is a tad bit over a mile. One mile is just over 2000 steps. Soon she was complaining she had to hit 10,000 steps to feel good about her day.

Seeing the results, motivated her to do more. She makes better choices when eating, but still hasn't given up the things she loves like pasta, pizza...a good burger. Just not as often as before. Then she joined a local gym and started going 3 times a week to work out. Didn't take long before another 15 pounds came off. Today she feels better than ever, more energy, happier. Blood work came back all perfect too on her last visit to the doc. I constantly ask her....where's my wife, wtf did you do with her.lol

I use her as an example, that you don't necessarily have to change your life drastically to achieve results. Start with the small things that are easy for you, that won't discourage, and once you start to see results it will motivate you to do more.

....and listen to your body. It will tell you when things aren't right. Don't assume you can just treat the symptom without tackling the root of the problem.

Best of luck to you, we old fa-rts can use as much as possible. :) Keep us posted on how it goes.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    My daughter did the whole 30, then as suggested above transitioned to a "clean" diet and has stuck with it.

Small steps and don't beat yourself up if you cheat a tiny bit here and there.

Ongoing you may want to find ways to work veggies into other stuff. I toss them into homemade chili, lentil soup, etc. and always add about 2 cups of spinach to my morning smoothies.

You didn't mention exercise, but I find a long walk motivates me to eat better. Maybe a subconscious thing that has me NOT wanting to undue the progress made by the 2 - 3 miles I just put in that day.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    6'3" 205lbs.........suckers!!
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    lightman1 wrote: »
    6'3" 205lbs.........suckers!!

6'3" 175# here ****... JK....
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    ka08e5lvjqor.jpg
    And then I go and eat this today. This is making me feel guilty.
  • tonyb
    Dang man, I'd eat that anytime. Looks darn fine to me.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    That's Black Dog Smoke & Ale House in Champaign,Il. About an hour & half from Peoria but worth the drive. Good BBQ doesn't exist in Peoria. Burnt Ends platter, the bark was to die for!
  • kevhed72
    Alright....I made to Day 5 without dying or killing anyone. Definitely feel better all around and the little annoyances in life not driving me as crazy. At times I feel like I am in a trance or out of it, but that feeling is far outweighed by feeling better overall. I would estimate I cut sugar (and sugar substitutes) by at least 90%, all grains by at least 95%, and dairy by at least 90%. Because of our dietary-industrial complex as a nation, avoiding this stuff 100% is really difficult. More to come....
  • tonyb
    Good for you man, keep it up.

Your correct though, it is hard to avoid most those things from the food industry. Mainly because it drives the other industries of Healthcare and pharmaceuticals....and the ever growing need for cheap food.

Once you start actually reading labels, and understanding what it all means, you realize how screwed up things are. Hit farm stands, Trader Joes is OK, Whole foods...and find a Butcher that sells grass fed meats.

Most grocery stores today have an organic section. Beware though, that's not always a guarantee of quality, especially if it's from Mexico. Anything in a box, bag, or can, labeled organic or not, is usually bad for ya.

BTW...you doing anything different on the exercise front ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kevhed72
    I have been running for awhile now and not taking the diet side serious enough. I have only run once since the diet started due re calibrating my body but the one time I ran I did really well. Im going to get back to it after this work trip ends today.
  • tonyb
    Running....as in on the street running ? May get a bit hard on the joints if your an old **** like me.

My wife joined that Orange theory gym, which isn't really an open gym per say. It's a one hour routine that works different areas of the body. Neat thing is, they monitor your heart rate at all times, and they have a certain amount of times for your heart rate to hit the optimum area. Instructors are there for every class to show you what your doing wrong and how to maximize benefits. Also, the routines are the same if you go to an Orange theory in Chicago, or Seattle.

You can sign up for a class at a time, just to see if you like it, for like under 15 bucks a class. They also have memberships, like 8 classes a month for around 100 bucks or unlimited classes for a bit more. Depending on your companies health plan too, they will reimburse you for some of that gym fee.

They will kick your arse though, seriously. Something to think about is all, just thought I'd throw it out there.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kevhed72
    OK....I made it 30 days. I dropped 10 lbs and running seems much more productive. More importantly, I have noticed alot of mental benefits, such as less irritability, worrying, and my OCD tendencies are more in check. My outlook on life has improved overall. Some of you may read this and think "BS" or this sounds like a buch of new age nonsense. Maybe not. I would ecourage anyone who just wants to feel better overall....just try it for 30 days. If I can do it....you can also.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Congrats!! Keep pushing - you may just surprise yourself with what you can do.
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,497
    No, but I’m careful what I eat. I’m a diabetic so no potatoes, rice or bread etc. etc. I started being very careful only a month ago. I’ve lost 10 lbs and my BS is the best in been in years. It was only 97 when I got home this evening.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give