Oppo bdp-103 SACD to integrated amp

mpitogompitogo Posts: 249
So I was recently given a Oppo bop-103. As a blue ray player it’s pretty much useless as I have both a Sony UDPX800 and an Xbox One S 4K UHD players. I’m attempting to us it as a dedicated CD/SACD player. I have two types of outputs connected to my McIntosh Integrated amp, first is stereo analog RCA L/R channels from the multi-ch output. The second is an optical toslink. I can switch easily from both with a quick input selection. Playing stnpandard CDs, the RCA sounds warmer (builtin Oppo DAC output set to Stereo) but the optical sounds clearer with a bit more highs (Mc doing the DAC). Anyway to use it as an SACD player without HDMI Audio?
Music-2.0 Raidho D-3.1 | Audio Research Ref 40 | Jeff Roland 925 | Esoteric Grandioso K1 | Transparent Reference, IC, Speaker and Power | HRS SXR Rack

Comments

• JaybeezJaybeez Posts: 654
    Pretty sure you'd need to go HDMI or multi channel audio to get 5.1 SACD output. If you only want two channel I would use whatever sounds best. If analog, I would opt for quality interconnects as it would make a difference.
    Living Room (HT):Denon AVR X-3000 ; LSiM 703 ; LSiM 704C ; FXi4s ; Sub – Rhythmik F12SE

2 Channel Studio: Marantz PM8004 Integrated ; Marantz SA8004 ; Music Hall MMF 7.3TT w/Ortofon Bronze; Schiit Bifrost DAC ; Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s ; Polk PSW 350 Sub

"And these children that you spit on, as they try to change their worlds, are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through."
  • mpitogompitogo Posts: 249
    Thanks that’s what I thought. I ordered my first SACD, not much of a selection out there. For the multichannel content it should downmix. I temporarily hooked it up to a TV and set the output to downmix stereo. For audio cables I’m using Monoprice Monolith RCA 3’ interconnects.

I’ll keep both connected since and continue to do A/B comparisons.
    Music-2.0 Raidho D-3.1 | Audio Research Ref 40 | Jeff Roland 925 | Esoteric Grandioso K1 | Transparent Reference, IC, Speaker and Power | HRS SXR Rack
  • smglbrthsmglbrth Posts: 1,059
    I've played around a little with digital out/in on my integrated. I never liked the sound, even though the integrated is newer and supposedly has better DAC's. To me, the sound was "hollow" and very "trebly", for lack of better words...
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 39,604
    mpitogo wrote: »
    So I was recently given a Oppo bop-103. As a blue ray player it’s pretty much useless as I have both a Sony UDPX800 and an Xbox One S 4K UHD players. I’m attempting to us it as a dedicated CD/SACD player. I have two types of outputs connected to my McIntosh Integrated amp, first is stereo analog RCA L/R channels from the multi-ch output. The second is an optical toslink. I can switch easily from both with a quick input selection. Playing stnpandard CDs, the RCA sounds warmer (builtin Oppo DAC output set to Stereo) but the optical sounds clearer with a bit more highs (Mc doing the DAC). Anyway to use it as an SACD player without HDMI Audio?

That Oppo is a video player first and foremost. Not so good for music.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• mpitogompitogo Posts: 249
    edited March 3
    So I finally got my first SACD. It only played through the RCA, got silence out of the optical. Not impressed, there wasn’t this wow for me when I switched from cassette to CD’s. I’m more impressed playing Nils Frahm’s All Melody on vinyl.
  • EmlynEmlyn Posts: 2,044
    You would be better served by selling the Oppo and getting a dedicated two channel Marantz SACD player. The 103 is not set up to compete well as an audio player. The 105 was better in that regard.
    1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz SR7011 receiver; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 205; Toshiba HD-DVD Player; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Parasound JC2 Preamp; Sonic Frontiers Power 2 amp; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Oppo 105D; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio P1000; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Pioneer Elite SC97 receiver; Oppo 203; Squeezebox Touch; MIT S3 cables