Ever Had Your Debit/Credit Info Stolen?

Have you? Did the card issuer figure it out or did you? Have you changed your card spending habits since in an effort to protect yourself? If so how and what do you do differently?
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited March 2018
    I have, and the bank took care of it right away. I don’t want to say more and I think most here feel the same way on such a personal topic.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I was just reading about wifi card scanners people put into gas station pumps and ATM's and such which lead me back to the decision to pay for gas with cash from now on. I was just hoping for a discussion on other things one could do, such as this, to protect yourself. It didn't seem like a taboo discussion to me but my apologies if it generally is considered as such.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    The issuer takes care of it, no worries.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I think the best advice is to use major credit cards and monitor your own activity. The company will take care of and problems you find. I had something similar happen to me recently as well.

You can also freeze the major credit check companies which basically makes it impossible for anyone to open any kind of credit line in you name.

You can also pay for credit monitoring, but I haven’t gone that far yet...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I had a suspicious purchase on my credit card two months in a row, each time for less than $100. Both times the credit card company took the purchase off my bill without hassle. I guess the thief thought someone might not notice a single small purchase per month, but I don't use my card that often. The purchases were coming from Canada. After the second time, the credit card company issued me a new card with new numbers.

I check my credit every four months for free here: https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

Don't even get me started on the Equifax breach. I immediately put a freeze on my credit.
  • Nightfall
    What is a freeze on your credit? Does this just mean no credit cards or loans can be opened in your name?

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    You can set up automatic alerts if anyone (including yourself) uses your credit card number. They will call or text, in real time, to acknowledge a transaction.

I used this to deny a transaction that was attempted by someone else out of state. The credit card company then cancelled the old card, sent me a new card and number.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Nightfall
    edited March 2018
    verb wrote: »
    You can set up automatic alerts if anyone (including yourself) uses your credit card number. They will call or text, in real time, to acknowledge a transaction.

Awesome, thank you. I never dug into my banks website or app settings but I just setup email and Android notifications for every purchase 1 cent or higher. It doesn't appear to let me yes/no acknowledge the transaction but being alerted to each transaction is better than nothing.

• Hermitism
    Nightfall wrote: »
    What is a freeze on your credit? Does this just mean no credit cards or loans can be opened in your name?
    I think the way it works is to get a major loan, they have to check your credit first and approve you. Buy house, car, get credit card. Putting a freeze on your credit prevents that, or something to that effect. I think someone can still get a department store charge card in your name with your information. The bad thing is if you ever need to get a loan or another credit card, you have to temporarily unfreeze your credit and there is a fee to do so.
  • Hermitism
    I forgot to add, to freeze your credit you have to do it with all three credit companies: equifax, experian and transunion. After the Equifax breach, they all three did it free of charge. There is usually a fee.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I watch my cards like a hawk. Got hit twice in the last two weeks with fraudulent charges. New card will be here by Saturday...

Cost to me was $0 with a bit of aggravation.

No changes to habits. Police your own money because nobody else will...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Twice. First time I looked at my statement and saw $4000 charge for the latest I-phones at the time (on April 1). Called the credit card company and the police but no one seemed to care. I ended up only paying them what I owed them and they never charged me for the the bogus charges. About a month later I got a certified letter to sign stating these were not my charges. I did and never heard anything else about it.

The second time I came home from dinner and saw an email asking if I charged $5000 at a photo shop (they declined the purchase). I called them and said no. Then I asked what other recent charges went thru. They asked if I spent $2000 at Home Depo in Wisconsin (I am in Pa) the day before. I told them no. This time they fixed everything and never sent me anything to confirm.

There is a big difference when someone steals your credit card vs your debit card. With a credit card its still a hassle but you never have to pay anything. With a debit card your money is gone from your bank account. You don't get it back until the refund process is over. My old girlfriend bounced a lot of checks because of this 20 years ago.

Be VERY careful using your DEBIT card. I only use mine for ATMs and Costco. i would never use it anywhere else.
  • Hermitism
    verb wrote: »
    You must have posted as I was typing because I completely missed your post. I do the same thing and love this feature. You know immediately when your card has been used.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Hermitism wrote: »
    I think the way it works is to get a major loan, they have to check your credit first and approve you. Buy house, car, get credit card. Putting a freeze on your credit prevents that, or something to that effect. I think someone can still get a department store charge card in your name with your information. The bad thing is if you ever need to get a loan or another credit card, you have to temporarily unfreeze your credit and there is a fee to do so.

Yes Hermitism hit it on the head
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    Credit card just go to the issuer.

ID theft, strap in for a wild ride. Start with the Secret Service and they'll tell you where to go from there.
  • 98Badger
    98Badger Posts: 317
    Happened to me twice with the same card (different card #s) about 4 yeas apart. The last time there were charges in Australia and it had been a few months since I had used the card. CC company took care of the situation both times. As others have said, monitor your statements.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Happened to me once also. Compromised my credit card with purchases in another state that were not mine. At the time I'd consolidated to one card and used that for online purchases, monthly auto payments (gas, electric, etc.) and out on the town purchases.
    Was a hassle getting a new card and changing all the automatics and online setups. So now I have multiple cards for specific uses; one for online purchases only, one for automatic payments and one I carry with me.
    This way maybe I won't have to change everything if one gets compromised.
    CC company keeps close eye on my routine and sends a text if they notice something odd.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    We have had our credit cards hit more times than I can count. Couple times was due to a location we shopped at being hacked (Jimmy Johns is an example). Each time credit card company took care of it.

Our debit card got taken once and Chase sent me a text at 3:45 am asking if I was purchasing Groceries in Hong Kong (because thats just a wee bit out of my normal operating area). I texted no, they killed the transaction and started processing me a new debit card.

Was a PITA the next few days since I couldn't use my old card for things like gas.... paying bills, etc lol, but overall it coulda been worse.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I wish they'd stop putting that 3 digit security # on the back of cards. Once in Chinatown, San Fran....eating at a joint, they took my CC as payment, gave it back to me none the wiser. Until I got home and found a bunch of stuff was bought from overseas. Apparently, when I gave them my CC, they took pics of the front and back with their phone. Now they have all the info they need for online purchases, give you back the card.

Debit cards....don't keep a lot of cash in that account just in case. You don't want the same account your depositing payroll checks in to be debit card accessible. Sure fire way to lose a weeks pay, or more.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Several years ago, one of my accounts had a $5000.00 cash advance posted to it. The credit company called me immediately to verify. They removed the transaction and upon further investigation, they found out it was an empolyee of theirs that had done it.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I don’t want to say more and I think most here feel the same way on such a personal topic.

Yeah, except everybody else that posted in this thread. :p
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I got rid of debit cards for the reasons detailed above. Not as protected. Even my ATM card is now just an ATM card got rid of the debit part.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    I never use a debit card. I really think there are people at reataurants who skim your cards info. when take take your card from the table to run a charge. At gas stations I find myself pulling on the thingy (insert joke here) to make sure there isnt one of those bogus swipers on top of the real one
  • Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    The newer chip cards are supposed to give us more protection, but I still had both my credit card and debit card hacked a few months ago. Both issuers caught the fraudulent charges before they went through, cancelled those cards and overnighted new ones to me. I now try to always pay with cash at restaurants to avoid what happened with Tony. And because the scum bags are coming up with newer skimmer tech at gas pumps that is harder to detect I'm considering going back to paying cash there as well. Though I will admit, at the moment my laziness is winning out over my desire to totally avoid the pump skimmers.
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    tonyb wrote: »
    I wish they'd stop putting that 3 digit security # on the back of cards. Once in Chinatown, San Fran....eating at a joint, they took my CC as payment, gave it back to me none the wiser. Until I got home and found a bunch of stuff was bought from overseas. Apparently, when I gave them my CC, they took pics of the front and back with their phone. Now they have all the info they need for online purchases, give you back the card.

Debit cards....don't keep a lot of cash in that account just in case. You don't want the same account your depositing payroll checks in to be debit card accessible. Sure fire way to lose a weeks pay, or more.

I read a tip about scratching out that three digit code on the back. If you can't remember it, write it down somewhere else in your wallet. Not a bad idea. Won't stop everything but maybe some crooks.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

I read a tip about scratching out that three digit code on the back. If you can't remember it, write it down somewhere else in your wallet. Not a bad idea. Won't stop everything but maybe some crooks.

Good idea man wow

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Nightfall
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    I never use a debit card. I really think there are people at reataurants who skim your cards info. when take take your card from the table to run a charge. At gas stations I find myself pulling on the thingy (insert joke here) to make sure there isnt one of those bogus swipers on top of the real one

What I read is there are now things they can put in? behind? the factory card reader so you can't even tell. It has WiFi and someone sits in their car across the street with a laptop. No thanks, I'll pay for gas with cash from now on.

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    All great tips. I only use my debit card at the ATM machine, and vary which machine I use.

Bank of Boston is very good about calling/stopping my credit card if they think something suspicious is going on until they confirm with me that I made the charge.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950

What I read is there are now things they can put in? behind? the factory card reader so you can't even tell. It has WiFi and someone sits in their car across the street with a laptop. No thanks, I'll pay for gas with cash from now on.
    Preventing that should be on the station owners I would hope....so many gas stations here are complete s holes with people working there who could care less if the gas pumps exploded, let alone if your info was being stolen from their business. The only reason I go to the local Chevron is I believe my GLI runs better off their 93 octane gas.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477

Well if the state tax/security sticker over the opening is gone or cut that should be your first clue. In reality there is so much out there to steal that info it's ridiculous just walking down the street there are skimmers to steal info from your pocket. How many wrap their card in aluminum foil or keep in a secured wallet?