Review of Polk Signature Series S60 Speakers

Comments

• Yeah F1nut I gotta agree with you but lately I think they may be changing that around those subs had a great review from AV Nirvana and they offer a lot for just $800 with free shipping I just want a couple more professional reviews with consistent measurements before I jump on the bandwagon and take the plunge for all of us. They're amps got great reviews even from some friends of mine that can afford to go higher then I can in this hobby so maybe they're shaking some things up a little. By the way do you have some equipment recommendations since your not big on them? Like I said the more options I get to explore and learn from the better
  • Yeah Clipdat I think they may just be I'm really excited to check out all the professional reviews supposedly coming out in March and F1nut I totally see your point but if they rebadge stuff at a great value and it's great sound for a lower price point I can't help but see that as a good thing for newcomers like myself that want to feel and get into what some of you guys have refined but we get to experience a bigger peice of it then we usually could without having to get so deep into the wallet. More consumers able to get involved can't be a bad thing right?
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Oh no, another Monoprice debate.

For me and my opinion only on Monoprice. I would rather get a brand that is more well proven. Entry level speaker cable is decent as with the rest of their cables. Stay AWAY from their HDMI cables. I consider them more the Harbor Freight of the wire arena. Some things are good others are just made to look good.

For subs I looked at them for a bit, it does look like they are trying to make a knock off of SVS. For the money I would go SVS or HSU.

The $799 sub offerings from all 3;
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24457
    http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html
    https://www.svsound.com/collections/2000-series/products/pb-2000

All 3 of these are the same price but HSU adds $95 shipping. I know for a fact the HSU and SVS are awesome with both HT and music. My VTF3 replaced a VTF2 and it was a holy s*** when dishes started to rattle.

For the Monoprice amps. I wont get one unless someone I know takes the plunge and ginny pigs it for me. I'm not going to spend my money on an unproven product.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Good points made from both Danzilla & Loren.

The thing is, everyone has to start somewhere and there was a time when Outlaw, SVS, Emotiva were all brand new and just starting out. What attracted people is being able to get into a higher level of gear w/o breaking the bank.

They have proven themselves to have well made, quality products that have stood up to the test of time and this is why they continue to do well in todays market.

Heck, it is the same reason that Polk has been in business for 46 years! They continue to put out much higher quality speakers that can last a lifetime that won't bankrupt you. Couple that with their outstanding customer service and how they stand by their products both new and legacy, and you customers like me that don't hesitate to buy more from them a freely recommend them to others!

Time will tell if Monoprice will remain a contender in the speaker market, but in the meantime, if someone is able to up their game with one of their products more power to them.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Yeah I totally dig what both you guys had to say Loren and cfrizz I tell you what I will make my final decision on gear withen the next couple months. I bought a home last year so having to sandwich upgrades between home stuff Lol. But if I decide to go with Monoprice Ill give you guys a full report. That way if they pan out we got more options to giv new members. But thats just a maybe cuz a lot of you guys have given me a lotta great options to think over!
  • mrloren wrote: »
    Oh thank goodness you didn't lay the S60 on it's side. Nice setup there.

For you sub please also look at HSU.Two VTF3-MK5 will rock you world. http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html I have one and it's great. I've listened to some setups with SVS subs, very nice too. Have not had a chance to get a listen on the Monoprice yet.

For amps I have a BasX-A300, that really opened up my S60. For the $400 it is well worth it.

This is a nice hobby but please watch your wallet around here, we do like to spend others money.

Wow thanks man that sub option just went to the top of my list. Got 3 main options I'm shooting with now. You don't think those 15's will overpower my room or those S60's do you? It's a big space though with arched ceilings so probably not still I'd value your input. I'm going duals if I go and the shipping and handling bumps it up but I'd just wait and put back a bit more in my sub budget. Man you got me dreaming now I've always wanted dual 15's. I don't think my neighbors will though Lol.
  • mrloren
    edited February 2018
    HSU makes a very nice sub as does SVS. For my VTF3 HSU cut me break on the shipping due to it being my 3rd sub from them.

The SVS PB2000 would be a good choice also https://www.svsound.com/collections/2000-series/products/pb-2000

Either way you can't go wrong. The only thing I don't like about HSU is the shipping, I would take a VTF3-MK5 over a PB2000 any day. You could also consider a pair of VTF2 those are less costly but still hit nice down to 16hz http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

dual subs won't overpower a room that is setup with an AVR's auto calibrate bigger the room with the more openings the more sub that is needed to fill it with good deep bass.

One thing I noticed about the VTF3 is it makes things in the house move... The opening of Dunkirk I was reaching for the remote to turn the sub way down. I did find more stuff that needed super glue down.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited February 2018
    danzilla31 wrote: »
    Yeah F1nut I gotta agree with you but lately I think they may be changing that around those subs had a great review from AV Nirvana and they offer a lot for just $800 with free shipping I just want a couple more professional reviews with consistent measurements before I jump on the bandwagon and take the plunge for all of us. They're amps got great reviews even from some friends of mine that can afford to go higher then I can in this hobby so maybe they're shaking some things up a little. By the way do you have some equipment recommendations since your not big on them? Like I said the more options I get to explore and learn from the better

I seriously doubt they made the subs and I know they didn't make the amps.

Another thing to understand, it doesn't take much to have a decent HT rig. Music is much harder to pull off. So, will the monoprice stuff work for an HT rig? Yep.

My recommendation, get a decent AVR, a decent sub and call it a day. Your speakers are an easy load, any decent AVR will drive them to your heart's content. A power amp for your set up is a waste of money.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    What I find odd is Monoprice subs are priced the same a SVS and HSU. There is no stand out deal with them. For the same cost it's a coin toss between HSU and SVS for me. Going with a sub from a proven manufacture is the way to go.

As for F1nut advise, Yes a good AVR and sub is what is needed above an amp. If it was me I would get a good AVR (Denon, Marantz or Yamaha) a pair of beastly subs and then save for a good Parasound amp. Yes adding an amp did open up my S60, not as much on movies but on music oh yes.
  • F1nut wrote: »
    Yeah F1nut I gotta agree with you but lately I think they may be changing that around those subs had a great review from AV Nirvana and they offer a lot for just $800 with free shipping I just want a couple more professional reviews with consistent measurements before I jump on the bandwagon and take the plunge for all of us. They're amps got great reviews even from some friends of mine that can afford to go higher then I can in this hobby so maybe they're shaking some things up a little. By the way do you have some equipment recommendations since your not big on them? Like I said the more options I get to explore and learn from the better

I seriously doubt they made the subs and I know they didn't make the amps.

Another thing to understand, it doesn't take much to have a decent HT rig. Music is much harder to pull off. So, will the monoprice stuff work for an HT rig? Yep.

My recommendation, get a decent AVR, a decent sub and call it a day. Your speakers are an easy load, any decent AVR will drive them to your heart's content. A power amp for your set up is a waste of money.

Appreciate the advice from both you and mrloren yeah I do like to listen to music but only 30% it's mainly 70% for home theater so that makes sense on where to go next on my selection. I just bought av racks to clean up the front so subwoofers is next. Bjorn's is right down the road and they carry the whole SVS line. Although mrloren's HSU 15 inch as duals has really got me drooling. I'm actually leaning toward the PC 2000 if I go SVS I like the different look burnt out on the boom in a box plus I like they're placement flexibility and I don't know why but I HATE those metal grills sounds stupid I know but I can't help it. Down the road I'll invest in the amp to improve music but since music is not my priority a better AVR and subs are the next stop. Thanks again for all the info it's really helped me focus on the next couple steps
  • mrloren wrote: »
    What I find odd is Monoprice subs are priced the same a SVS and HSU. There is no stand out deal with them. For the same cost it's a coin toss between HSU and SVS for me. Going with a sub from a proven manufacture is the way to go.

As for F1nut advise, Yes a good AVR and sub is what is needed above an amp. If it was me I would get a good AVR (Denon, Marantz or Yamaha) a pair of beastly subs and then save for a good Parasound amp. Yes adding an amp did open up my S60, not as much on movies but on music oh yes.

Hey thanks a lot for all the good info its helped me focus on the next couple steps. Its looking like a tie between your HSU recommendation or actually the PC 2000. I really like the different look and they're placement flexibility. AV racks come in this week next month I'll go after the subs I'll keep you guys posted Lol on the results! Appreciate all the help!
  • As far as the AV reciever you guys are right on they're too but I'm waiting till next year that onkyo I got was a steal for the 200 I spent and it sounds great for what I paid I wanna wait and really set back some coin on that av reciever cus I really want to go after a high quality one. Denon or Marantz is where I'm leaning the most. And I want to go after they're higher quality lines. So when it's time I'll definitely be appreciating some guidance on that purchase. I'll let you guys know how it sounds as I make each upgrade take care!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    No worries, we love spending other people's money.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    F1nut wrote: »

Now that's a perfect government quote if I ever heard one (oops)...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • mrloren
    F1nut wrote: »

Oh yes,

as for a PB2000 or VTF3 it's a coin toss, both will loosen up drywall with ease. Both subs go below 20hz nicely.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV15HP.html

Just one more choice you may want to look at.
  • F1nut wrote: »

Hah hah and in this case I don't mind your guy's help in spending it. I definitely got the audio bug thats for sure!
  • rpf65 wrote: »
    http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV15HP.html

Just one more choice you may want to look at.

Hey thanks for the heads up I'll be taking a look at that today I've always heard good things about that company
  • Ok the racks came in really happy with them me and a good friend are gonna put them in this Sunday clean up the wiring and cabling properly should look slick and really set off those S60's very well. Send a pic after its all done. After that thanks to all your helpful feedback0za8qw686eqd.jpg
    8aei5yhqbwqw.jpg
    new subs!
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    Nice racks! Are those fans I see mounted to the top?
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,309
    TEAforONE wrote: »

I said that to two women once. It didn't end well.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Jimbo18 wrote: »

It's not what you say Jimbo, it's how you say it ;)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Jimbo18 wrote: »

Yeppers scored em both for a great price. Were setting em up today I'll send you guys a pic when it's all done.
  • TEAforONE wrote: »

Hah hah! I meant my last post for you but tagged it to Jimbo's instead. Sure did not sound right lol
  • halo wrote: »
    Jimbo18 wrote: »

It's not what you say Jimbo, it's how you say it ;)

Sooooooo thaaaat's why I'm chronically single oh well I don't wanna change it rather not have to deal with WAF or GAF for that matter. Guys is they're something wrong with me that Id pick my love for audio over a gal any day of the week? ...... Hah hah! Not sure if I'm ready to hear an answer to that question
  • cfrizz wrote: »
    Very nice set up! You are going to have one rocking system once it is all put together especially when you get an amp.

Hey cfrizz have a question I hope you could help me with. Before I totally plunge into amps there is something bugging me. The info from polk is very general about power ratings on the S60. They state for example recommend amps from x - 300 watts. But that's not exactly specific. They also the same with +- 3db which is fine I just tweak to get the crossover point right. But the power rating I'm a little concerned with. Do you know what the real approximate RMS power handling of these are? Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • Also any feedback from owners of the S60's on the question I just asked would be really appreciated it's gonna be awhile before I get amps I got other equipment to get first but I really don't want to get the wrong amp or amps when it is time and screw it up. I know it's better to overpower then under but still you can have stuff go wrong with overpowering as well. Thanks for your time
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Good morning Dan.

What Polk gives you are guidelines to use.

All of my speakers are powered by a 405wpc Sunfire amp. That doesn't mean that the amp is putting out all of those watts all the time. But the power is available to be used by the speakers during intense movie/music sections when a receiver would simply over strain itself trying to give the speakers what they need.

The speakers will only take what they need, but the power has to be there for them to take it. Hence that's why I generally recommend 200wpc minimum because I'd rather have it and not need it than the other way around.

Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Current is more important, look for at least 60a, which usually will equate to no less than 200w. Of course this will vary between manufactures. The S60 are easy to drive, but a HC amp does makes a noticeable difference in sound.

See my signature.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Also any feedback from owners of the S60's on the question I just asked would be really appreciated

Hi Dan,

So, I'm running the Signature S60 speakers with a McCormack DNA-125 2-Channel/Stereo power amplifier.

Here are the specs from the manufacturer:

Specifications:

Power: 125 watts per channel at less than 1.0% THD or IMD, both channels driven into 8 ohms from 20 Hz to 20 kHz. 200 watts per channel into 4 ohms.
    Input Impedance: 100 kOhms
    Input Sensitivity: 1 volt rms
    Hum and Noise: better than 98 dB below rated power
    Dimensions: 5.125" H x 16" D x 19" W
    Weight: 37 lbs.

As the reviewer in this article mentions, the amp seems to be putting out more power than the specs suggest. @tonyb can attest that the McCormack amps are pretty solid.

I would also say that how much power you "need" depends entirely on how you use the speakers and the related electronics. As @cfrizz points out, the amp she is using has ample power in reserve to handle BRIEF transient peaks. You'd be surprised at how well "low powered" amps can drive speakers during "typical" use.

@DSkip & @Clipdat have the Dayens amplifiers and the Dayens' peak wattage numbers don't seem impressive but the sound quality is superb and the watts per channel are more than adequate. Many "flea watt" amps provide enough juice for speakers as long as you aren't trying to drive very inefficient speakers to ridiculously high dB levels.

That said, I maintain that a dedicated amplifier or two dedicated mono block amplifiers will almost always outperform an audio video receiver or even a stereo receiver.

Good luck with your search for a dedicated amp to drive the Signature S60 speakers.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10