Early Retirement - How do you like it?

I'm thinking of hanging it up after 30+ years in IT. Any other early retirement Polkies out there? Was it the right move for you? What do you do all day long? I've had a job pretty much continuously for the past 43 years starting when I was 11. Paper route for 5 years, 5 years in Chinese restaurant, 2 years cleaning office buildings, 30+ years IT. At 54 I am sick of having a job, but I know I will need to find something to keep me busy. Let's hear your story!

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    What state are you in?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    It kinda sucks....I've been looking for "something to do", as in a job, for years now. Nobody will want you due to your age. Those that do want you, have a list a mile long of others looking for the same positions.

You need to find things to keep the brain busy though, or it turns to mush. Though I'm retired from the construction industry, even jobs at Home Depot, Loews, Menards...don't want ya. Kinda gets depressing too, because you have so much to offer, in so many different ways, and they just don't want to waste the time training you thinking you'll quit in a few years to collect your SS.

You might have to give up weekends, seems most will hire you for that. I figured I worked the majority of my life on weekends, screw that now. Some geographical locations are obviously going to be different. You might get lucky, who knows, tap your sphere of influences and see whats available to you. In the meantime, if you retire early, grab a hobby to keep the brain busy....or just make it a career making fun of Russ, like I do. ;):)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    What's retirement? That word is taboo for me.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    edited March 2018
    I'd say, if you are financially able to do it, then DO IT! Travel, pick up hobbies, golf, learn new skills, etc.

I am confident that I will have no problem filling up my days when I retire. I am a serial hobbyist, so I will always have something to occupy my mind and keep me busy.

I see so many people work until 62, 65, etc then come down with cancer or die within a few years. That SUCKS! I say retire as soon as you are able to. That is, unless you enjoy going into your work each and every day. Most people don't. Why keep going into a place that stresses you and makes you miserable?
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,968
    I’m quite a ways off myself, but my father in law retired around that age due to a teachers buyout in Arizona. To good to pass up. But he already had a part time antique business, and has continued to do that. He also is a career music teacher, and has taken up other instruments and plays barry sax in a big band. He was also fortunate in that retirement gave him time to care for his mother with Alzheimer’s (and for a while it was a full tile job). If he didn’t have all those jobs/hobbies to occupy him, he would have lost his mind by now.

Whether we like it or not, it seems that two main factors lead to a long, healthy life: meaningful work, and meanignful intimate relationships. If you can retire early and maintain those two things, I say go for it!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    When I retire I am renting rooms to college girls to help further their education.
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    afterburnt wrote: »
    What state are you in?

In Minnesota, my Dad retired at 55 and said it was great for the first 5 years and then it was just boring - he is now in his 29th year of retirement.

As far as retirement jobs, where I live there is a shortage of workers and they will hire older workers, Unfortunately, because there is a shortage, the people I have talked to say they are all understaffed and it sounds like the stress would worse than the job I'd be leaving!
  • Polkitup2
    afterburnt wrote: »
    When I retire I am renting rooms to college girls to help further their education.

Hmm, I do have some spare bedrooms. :p
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    I retired mid year last year and really am enjoying it.

My wife is a photographer and quite busy, so I do all the household stuff (shopping, cooking, cleaning) that she's been doing for 30 years so she can focus on her craft.

It took about 2 - 3 months to clear my head so I could decide "what's next". I enrolled in voice acting classes, and hope to keep busy doing that work in the near future.

That and spending more time with family, practicing / drumming in Church and fiddling around with my audio gear has kept me from using a brand new set of golf clubs and a brand new mountain bike I got just before retirement.

I do agree that you will eventually need something to keep you busy. Teaching, volunteering, part time work, etc.
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    with your background, have you thought about doing consulting on the side. Cities are looking to downsize anyway they can and not be on the hook for benefits (retirement) you'll be surprised at the many opportunities that could come your way.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • Polkitup2
    I've thought about consulting, but then again that sounds like work!
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    I've been partially retired for the past 30+ years; weather related layoff for 4 months yearly. Remodeling our old house kept me poor and busy for the first 20 years. Then I picked up this crazy hobby some 15 years ago and it still keeps me entertained. I don't watch much tv but somehow I can always find things to do to keep myself busy and I'm never bored. I'm very much looking forward to full time retirement in 2 more years as there's so much more to do in the summer months.
  • Polkitup2
    Prior to my IT working years I had many hobbies, all except audio faded away. Hope to rekindle them. I too don't watch much TV, it has been replaced by audio.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,589
    Wish I could get my wife to make this change.
    Polkitup2 wrote: »
    I too don't watch much TV, it has been replaced by audio.

• Polkitup2
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Wish I could get my wife to make this change.

My wife hasn't made that change. We generally occupy separate floors of the house - lol
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,589
    edited March 2018
    I did get her to sit in the sweet spot of the new Polk Blackstone TL3 speakers I just recently purchased for my computer.

She had an "Oh wow!" moment when she heard how nice they were imaging and said "the sound seemed like it was coming from underneath and behind the speakers."

I think she was describing soundstage depth.

Baby steps!
    Polkitup2 wrote: »
    My wife hasn't made that change. We generally occupy separate floors of the house - lol

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    My problem is that I have too many hobbies/interests. Work always gets in the way, but admittedly it is a means to delve into and sustain my hobbies. I long for the day to be able to retire. Play with all my toys, sleep in, travel, visit the kids, enjoy life. Everyday's a Saturday when you retire!
    Staying active after retirement is absolutely critical. For one's health, mental and physical.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    verb wrote: »
    Everyday's a Saturday when you retire!

That's the BEST part. I get to go the hardware store and a wide range of other errands when nobody else is doing them!
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Jealousy here! :smiley: I hear ya. I'll take a day off and run errands or other stuff and wow. Not having to deal with the crowds on weekends or evenings. Did I mention that I'm jealous?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    I retired 21 years ago at the age of 51.

My experience of my own early retirement experience and the experiences of others in my area who have retired early can be grouped roughly as follows:

The first group consists of those who after six months of retirement are bored, anxious about their being, and find a way to plunge back into full-time work.

The second group consists of those who after six months of retirement wake up one morning and wonder how they ever had time to go to work because they're so busy.

I fell into the second group.

I decided to retire in part because my family was far more important to me than my work. My two young daughters were growing up rapidly, and I was traveling 35-50% of the time -- often internationally. I not only wanted to see them grow, I also wanted to play a part in rearing them. My first dozen years were invested in this worthy activity.

In addition, when I moved to my current home, I got deeply involved in volunteering for land conservation projects, serving on our local planning board, and on our regional planning commission, which I now chair. I have also been a member of our town's select board, as well as various other committees.

My theory is that individuals who have really devoted themselves to their professions or work throughout their lives have trouble adapting to retirement -- unless all the time that they functioned as workaholics, they harbored suppressed desires to pursue a lot of things for which they did not have time while working -- or at least thought the did not.

Just my $0.02 worth. :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    edited March 2018
    Plan on retiring in 7 years in Minnesota in the Park Rapids area and with Fishing, Hunting and living on a lake I should never be bored, close to the Headwaters, for biking, then this audio hobby I don't plan on having any problems on occupying myself, where are you located in Minnesota?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I have mixed feelings about retirement. On one hand, I can see the benefits of not working. On the other hand, I love the paycheck, and a positive cash flow is better than a negative (retired) cash flow. So, as long as I am healthy, and mentally sharp for writing software, I plan to keep working until into my 70s. Since I am now 68 that is another 2-4 years, at least. One benefit here is that after 66 you can collect full SS no matter what your yearly income. That pays for beer and weed for that year. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,527
    You just like the ability to have “BlueFox” nights :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Yeah Bud but can you afford your audio bug upgrades, after the paychecks stop?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • BlueFox
    You just like the ability to have “BlueFox” nights :wink:

No. Not really. If retired then every night is Friday night, and that isn’t a good thing. Confucius say; Balance is the key, grasshopper.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Yeah Bud but can you afford your audio bug upgrades, after the paychecks stop?

No. Of course not. As I said, that is the benefit of a positive cash flow.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    I got into teaching late, so while i could retire at 60 (52 now) would probably behoove me to wait till 65 for full benefirs. Get an VA check now and that will never change. Add in SS and we should be fine. There is the matter of inheritance which could speed things up, but certainly not in any hurry for that. To answer your question, if I were monetarily able to retire now, I probably would. I like what I do, but its exhausting more days than not. Some nice breaks to recharge, but in the end, I would if I could. Plenty to keep me busy.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited March 2018
    I just turned 52 and can retire in a couple of months, but, I don't see me doing it. My schedule is set up so I'll work 7 out of 9 days and then have 5 off. I get 5 weeks vacation, plus, if I work all the holidays (which I usually do) I get another 3 weeks of vacation. In all, I work right about half the year. My work usually consist of sitting around and watching the robots, making sure they play well with each other. And, they pay me pretty well.

I have no kids, though I help raise a granddaughter. I honestly don't see me retiring, maybe ever.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,969
    I could retire in a few months if I wanted to accept reduced SS payments and have to pay over $1k/mo. for health insurance...well, that ain't gonna happen. I have no problem with the reduced SS money but I'm not paying more than I ever did on a mortgage for health insurance. So, I guess I'm working another 4+ year unless the state comes up with an early retirement package. It's frustrating for me because I have so many other things to do that mean more to me in life than sitting in front of a computer 8 hours/day.

As already stated, if you like your job(I only tolerate mine) and you see yourself just sitting around most of the time doing basically nothing then keep on working. I love being outdoors and plan to have a small list of people that would rather pay somebody else to maintain their property than do it themselves. This will be my "audio money". We plan to travel a lot...there is so much to see in North America, I doubt we'll ever be bored. It seems there are more boomers/just about retired in this forum that I had originally thought.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.