musical subs

Options
good afternoon, getting rid of my infinity alpha home theater, and replacing it with some sda2b speakers and will be running a 2.1-2.2 for now, possibly work in some other vintage polks for a vintage 5.1.
anyhow,
I currently have two psw505 subs and was looking to upgrade.
I listen to a lot of music on the system, and tv shows / movies second.

im looking for a "musical" sub, but not exactly sure what makes one better for music/vs movies.

has anyone upgraded from the psw505, if so what did you upgrade to?

considering one of the hsu models, also considering just building one using one of the Dayton 1000w plate amps.

any thoughts?

budget would probably be 800 or under.

the psw 505 woks ok for movies, but gets lost with music.

Comments

• good_apollo
    Options
    forgot to ask,
    if the recommendation is to build one, anyone have a recommendation on drivers?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    SVS, HSU, Velodyne.....3 companies right there to look at that are fast enough for music, and still give ya a bang for HT. Not the only 3, but it's a start.

BTW, musically, sealed subs are probably a better bet than ported.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    I love my Rythmik F12 for music. Had it in my 2 channel room, but moved it to HT duty and can't bear to lose it there.

I'll probably pick up another Rythmik for my music room. I plan to audition several, but am intrigued with their dual 8" model which digs pretty deep and due to low mass on the cones is said to be quite fast.
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • good_apollo
    Options
    sealed was probably what I was going for. hsu is the only one ive heard in person, and it was an older 10". sounded good, and would imaging the larger more powerful ones would do the trick.

have always been interested in building one
  • good_apollo
    Options
    @Jaybeez are they internet only? ive heard good reviews of them, but never actually seen one.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Jaybeez wrote: »
    I love my Rythmik F12 for music. Had it in my 2 channel room, but moved it to HT duty and can't bear to lose it there.

I'll probably pick up another Rythmik for my music room. I plan to audition several, but am intrigued with their dual 8" model which digs pretty deep and due to low mass on the cones is said to be quite fast.

I've just taken delivery of the Rythmik F8 to use with my 2BTLs. Going to be a work in progress as I've no idea of what I'm doing, but I'm enthusiastic about the possibilities.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0