Behringer Amps. Anyone use them for SDA's? The class "D" series.

Hi. I'm looking at picking up a Behringer amp, the model iNUKE NU-1000 for home use with either my SDA CRS's or my SDA 2B's. This is one of their Class "D" amplifiers, which I believe is totally digital. They're very light and run very cool. They don't have the loud and noisy fans on their Europower series.

Here's the actual amp I'm considering buying:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/NU1000.aspx

But I'm wondering if anyone has used this type of amp with any success with SDA speakers? If you are using one, would you recommend it? Does anyone know if these amps are common grounded? Obviously, I would need a pre-amp. Can anyone recommend a good pre-amp for this type of amplifier?

I wish I could afford an Emotiva, but they are priced way beyond my means. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Phil

Comments

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    edited May 2015
    Personally I don't think much of Behringer equipment. As you can tell by the price, they are really budget gear and I don't think I'd trust the specs. That combined with it being an amp for pro-sound, I would not expect much in terms of sound quality.

For the SDA speakers, you will need a common ground amp for them to work properly. I don't know if the Behringer is common ground or not.

For the same money, you could snag a very nice sounding used Parasound HCA-800ii or HCA-750, or HCA-1000, or Carver TFM-15 or Adcom GFA-535 or possibly 545. Your SDA's and your ears will thank you.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    +1, listen to skrol. Honestly, I think I have___ heard of people using those Behringer iNuke model amps to run a passive subwoofer.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2015
    There are numerous online reviews about problems with Behringer QC. Some studios won't touch their products.

Otherwise I agree with everyone above. Although, I believe that Mike (Face) was running a series of Crown D class amps on a pair of very nice towers a while back (perhaps, tri-amping them)?

SDAs do deserve some tubes or at least some nice class A amp if you can swing that.
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • resurrecting a thread from the grave, I had a behringer km1700 amp running multiple sets of speakers with great results. just got sda 2'bs and before hooking up the interconnect cable got ahold of behringer and the km series at least are not common ground, which is unfortunate, because they sound great. nice and clean.