DSW550wi Pro Sub Speaker severed speaker cables

I’ve two DSW550wi Pro subs. I noticed one stopped producing sound but status led and power green led were ok. I swapped the subs the working one still worked so my thought was to check the actual speaker as it was unlikely the amp side. I unscrewed the speaker attachment screws and boom there was the problem: both wires were severed on the cone and one on the blade connecter. I thought these things are designed to last forever and withstand the sub speaker vibration? Thats how a speaker makes sound right?
rf8tdwzpchg3.jpeg
mu9eocwybm51.jpeg
896cadle9arp.jpeg
cuqfsmyglsv3.jpeg

How did this failure happen and more importantly how can this be fixed as I note the wires oddly go through the cone which I see has some factory raisin/glue/paint at the entry point. The blade side is a straight solder. Does this suggest a solder through the cone to reattach the wires then perhaps some silicon onto the spot? Nearest Polk dealer is 2 countries away 1,500km.

Whilst in the sub cabinet I noticed a whitish deposit on what looks like resistors? What is that?
xbimcelvbx04.jpeg

The sub has given me glorious sound for about 5yrs. I have attached some pics.
Polkaudio TL350 satellites
Polkaudio OWM3 satellites for front high
Polkaudio DSWpro550wi subwoofers (x2)
Sony SRT-DN1050 Receiver
Sony KLD-50R550A LCD TV
DSTV Explora HDPVR
PS4

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Over driven, over excursion. No repair possible short of replacing the subwoofer driver and by the looks of it, at least one resistor.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Kalito
    Kalito Posts: 30
    Thanx. Any ideas what would cause that? I rarely listen at volumes above 15 (reciever volume goes to 60) and the sub volume level is about 30. Does polk sell drivers?
    Sony SRT-DN1050 Receiver
    Sony KLD-50R550A LCD TV
    DSTV Explora HDPVR
    PS4
  • F1nut
    Like I said, it appears to have been over driven some how. Got any teenage kids in your house?

Yes, Polk sells replacement drivers, but since you are not in the US you'll have to contact the closest distributor. That resistor will need to be replaced as well. In fact, replace both of them. However, Polk doesn't sell those.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    It almost looks as if a small creature was chewing on it? Maybe not the resistors, but stranger things have happened...
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Kalito
    Thanks that is helpful. @polrbehr that was my horror ha ha. @F1nut I have friends in the US who can get the driver for me. Please point me in the right direction
    Sony SRT-DN1050 Receiver
    Sony KLD-50R550A LCD TV
    DSTV Explora HDPVR
    PS4
  • Kalito
    Update on the sub

@F1nut I managed to have the driver repaired for the equivalent of $15. The power leads were replaced and epoxy on the points of entry with the protective cap glued back into place.
    8lc53dtqdgj9.jpg

3637s0jy3i80.jpg

fsdfxbddzism.jpg

@polrbehr you were actually right. It would seem some small creature crawled into the SW through the air vent and chewed the wires. We found evidence of two capacitor plastic covering on top chewed off. The resistors tested ok and were cleaned.

The sub is working as normal
    Sony SRT-DN1050 Receiver
    Sony KLD-50R550A LCD TV
    DSTV Explora HDPVR
    PS4
  • F1nut
    Sorry for not following up in regards to your post from October 2017.......I simply didn't see it. Anyway, I'm glad you were able to get it repaired.

President of Club Polk