Levinsons and Wilsons and Wels and Emm Labs can sing

Options
Well I have been taught a lesson tonight, tonight’s lesson was: Dynamic Range!

Dang son, I just got taken to school.

Will post more later.

qv0q0llnngg6.jpeg
acb2jy5tzyfo.jpeg
fl9j6udgml3k.jpeg
mntmh2i165wl.jpeg
pb685rklbuw0.jpeg
ub9raxnztrew.jpeg
4stn199ixrvv.jpeg
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Glad you liked them Joey.

I was disappointed in the Alexandria's that I heard at AXPONA a few years ago.

Keep on keeping on with the demos!

eh...cough....eh...ProAc....ack...cough...eh.....

:D
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Wish I could ....
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    Options
    I have a pair of crappy old Polks and some old tube amps that will dance all over them and still leave 200k in your kids college fund.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,518
    Options
    Yeah I don’t play at this level... this guy is a little deep in the pockets.

He just bought the Levinson 536 amps and replacing his Mcintosh 601. Now auditioning the preamp 526. A cool 50,000.

I know one thing for sure, I’m not unloading 50k anytime for music reproduction with 2 components. I’m cheap as heck
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    edited March 2018
    Options
    So, the meet concluded. My friend is very happy with the Levinsons that he just purchased (326 pre and 325 monoblocks and Kimber Silver USB cable, I think even with discount it was north of $45K). Obviously the ML rep and the dealer were egging him on to keep buying, they pulled out some top of the line Kimber Select Speaker wire (silver like my Wels) and were pushing him to buy it, it was $35,000.

I pulled my buddy aside after the demo, I told him it was not worth it and not to buy it. I told him, I have the Wels and I listen to it every day, and I can tell you "no cable on Earth is worth $30,000+). I felt like I just needed to be the voice of reason.

Which is kind of funny, when I have to be the voice of reason - that's very worrisome situation.

But, it was fun and it was cool to play with all that gear. My head begun to spin as we just kept switching components and wires.

I am not the biggest Wilson fan, the demo did not turn me yet.

I still think there are things my system does that are better, but for sure there were things that his system did better than mine.

1. Dynamics - Wilsons really are capable of loud passages.
    2. Easy to listen to. Not very much different to Sonus Fabers that I've heard.
    3. Personalizable, those rakes and adjustments really tune the spot to your "head" position.

Next group meet, I think we are visiting the biggest and baddest system of the group. Brian has a dedicated room that makes ours look like a hello kitty boombox. He runs a full Vivaldi stack with Boulder 2110 preamp and 3060 stereo. Will be fun to learn more.

Thanks for reading.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options
    Were you guys listening to Jazz at the Pawnshop, or "Female Vocals"?
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »

Everything from audiophile stuff to jazz to hip hop.

I think sound is so personal and we all hear differently. I would say my system is more intimate than his but I have not heard dynamics like that in a long time.

Beauty about these meet ups, you learn or appreciate something new each time...
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options
    I can't get over that "hospital bedpan green" color of those Wilsons :D lol
    Joey_V wrote: »

I think sound is so personal and we all hear differently. I would say my system is more intimate than his but I have not heard dynamics like that in a long time.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    So, the meet concluded. My friend is very happy with the Levinsons that he just purchased (326 pre and 325 monoblocks and Kimber Silver USB cable, I think even with discount it was north of $45K). Obviously the ML rep and the dealer were egging him on to keep buying, they pulled out some top of the line Kimber Select Speaker wire (silver like my Wels) and were pushing him to buy it, it was $35,000.

I pulled my buddy aside after the demo, I told him it was not worth it and not to buy it. I told him, I have the Wels and I listen to it every day, and I can tell you "no cable on Earth is worth $30,000+). I felt like I just needed to be the voice of reason.

Which is kind of funny, when I have to be the voice of reason - that's very worrisome situation.

But, it was fun and it was cool to play with all that gear. My head begun to spin as we just kept switching components and wires.

I am not the biggest Wilson fan, the demo did not turn me yet.

I still think there are things my system does that are better, but for sure there were things that his system did better than mine.

1. Dynamics - Wilsons really are capable of loud passages.
    2. Easy to listen to. Not very much different to Sonus Fabers that I've heard.
    3. Personalizable, those rakes and adjustments really tune the spot to your "head" position.

Next group meet, I think we are visiting the biggest and baddest system of the group. Brian has a dedicated room that makes ours look like a hello kitty boombox. He runs a full Vivaldi stack with Boulder 2110 preamp and 3060 stereo. Will be fun to learn more.

Thanks for reading.

Your friend needs these, http://www.mitcables.com/available-in-stores/acc-268-articulation-control-console.html

n84cmnbocbh9.jpg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    Options
    I can't get over that "hospital bedpan green" color of those Wilsons :D lol

LOL

Seafoam green he says.... a VERY custom color. Says he is getting the Alexx in the same color. These Sasha 2 were his "trial pair".
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Seafoam green he says.... a VERY custom color. Says he is getting the Alexx in the same color. These Sasha 2 were his "trial pair".

Couldn't quite get this to embed like I wanted...

iuktpisu2jtt.png

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/b781130f-94cc-4ac8-af02-0c20641f63f8
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Wilson and Kimber are both Utah companies so I see a lot of their stuff.
    I like being able to go see and be “Told” what we are missing. Lol
    I did like this setup with D’Agostino amps. Very clean and dynamic. I was told to listen as long as I liked. Cool salesman.
    The way I look at it you are only getting incremental increases in sound quality once you spend to a certain point. I don’t think it’s 4 times better then the system he had in the next room at 1/4 the price.
    But for the money ain’t a thing crowd go ahead.
    l2zpfp42g0c2.jpeg
    5a6qgej17cqo.jpeg
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • Joey_V
    edited March 2018
    Options
    dolbyd wrote: »
    Wilson and Kimber are both Utah companies so I see a lot of their stuff.
    I like being able to go see and be “Told” what we are missing. Lol
    I did like this setup with D’Agostino amps. Very clean and dynamic. I was told to listen as long as I liked. Cool salesman.
    The way I look at it you are only getting incremental increases in sound quality once you spend to a certain point. I don’t think it’s 4 times better then the system he had in the next room at 1/4 the price.
    But for the money ain’t a thing crowd go ahead.
    l2zpfp42g0c2.jpeg
    5a6qgej17cqo.jpeg

That’s a baaaad system

I was close to buying a momentum stereo s200 amplifier and had a deal lined up. I don’t recall now why I didn’t push through. It would’ve been nice.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »

Couldn't quite get this to embed like I wanted...

iuktpisu2jtt.png

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/b781130f-94cc-4ac8-af02-0c20641f63f8

Lol
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    Looking at those pics I see what I'm missing for my sound... definitely need plants in the corners. There's a synthesis I'm missing :)
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,971
    Options
    Must the plants be fake or alive?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Joey_V
    Options
    The plants would die from all the bass trapped in the corner
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Ivan Dragoooo
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    Options
    Very cool room!
    4stn199ixrvv.jpeg

@EndersShadow
    Hey Dan, is that a Dalek in the corner? I though you'd be the one to ask. You need a couple of those in your loft!

• Joey_V
    Options
    Poor McIntosh 601 in the corner

If anyone is interested in a pair of 1 owner McIntosh 601 amplifiers, he’s selling for a firesale

$7500

Pm
    Me
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options

If anyone is interested in a pair of 1 owner McIntosh 601 amplifiers, he’s selling for a firesale

$7500

Kerry! . . . Where's Kerry?
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Joey_V
    Options
    7500 for a pair... that’s cheaper than anything I’ve ever seen on audiogon or AA
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    @EndersShadow
    Hey Dan, is that a Dalek in the corner? I though you'd be the one to ask. You need a couple of those in your loft!

tumblr_od28yvWWj11tq39joo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Also, before I spend tons of cash on gear (at least THAT KINDA CASH), I'd want to make sure my room was acoustically treated, and if needed reconfigured (and even tore down and rebuilt) to get the most of out any speakers I put in there.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    7500 for a pair... that’s cheaper than anything I’ve ever seen on audiogon or AA

If I hadn't bought a pair of 1201's a week ago yesterday you'd be getting a pm from me. That's a good price on a great pair of amps
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »

$7500

Kerry! . . . Where's Kerry?

If they're not tubes I'm not interested.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    We did have an allnic dac there Kerry
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Options
    That is an unheard of price for a pair of 601s
    [
  • Joey_V
    Options
    miner wrote: »
    That is an unheard of price for a pair of 601s

Yep

One of the club members bought it yesterday.