Further down the vinyl rabbit hole

Options
the felt mat was "too much static", so I bought a rubber mat, that attracted too much fuzz, so I ended up buying a leather mat.
bought a center weight
bought a spin clean type record cleaner
$20 to $45 on records, patiently waiting for the 20% off coupons from places like Music Direct
And now this...
Nagaoka MP150h

Okay, time to stop up-graditis for a while.
1dmij9xjra3m.jpg

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Don't forget some sort of stylus cleaning method! As well as a bubble level to ensure that your TT and whatever it's sitting on is level! Oh, and a stylus weight, so you can verify exact what your tracking force is set at!
  • Ducati Guy
    Options
    yeah, I forgot to list those things:

bubble level (from Loewe's)
    stylus cleaner (Audio Technica from Amazon)
    tracking force weight machine ( around $20 bucks on Amazon)
    Hudson Hifi protractor ($20 bucks or less on Amazon)
    gotta save cash wherever I can

Vinyl can sound pretty good, but it's a rabbit hole of money and you gotta be willing to learn how to do all these little set up procedures for the turntable, thank God for you tube

many times I like my SACD's and the plug+play ease of Hi-res files on my phone
    But sometimes you're just in the mood for that Vinyl sound
  • Clipdat
    Options
    How you liking that spin clean? I've been looking into a wet cleaning solution for a while, just been using a combination of a carbon fiber bristle brush, microfiber towel, and compressed air to clean off dust before playing.
  • Ducati Guy
    Options
    I would guess before cleaning vs after spin clean, about 50% ? ? less surface noise, it does a nice job for the money! I'm pleased. I bought a spin clean knock off on Amazon for about $40 bucks. If I wash the record a 2nd time again, to see if there's even less noise, there isn't. Seems like washing it once gives you the max benefits already.

Everybody says vacuum cleaning machines are a step better( more money).

Then there are the Ultrasonic cleaners.

There's a brand on Amazon that sells for $600 bucks (super cheap in the crazy realm of $4000 Ultrasonic cleaners) but there I go again, daydreaming about up-graditis. I gotta stop.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,970
    Options
    You can do ultrasonic for less than $600. If you did decide to go that route the Spin Clean would be a nice way to do a final rinse. I'm currently using distilled water in a pump up sprayer. Had the cart long enough to develop an opinion on it?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Ducati Guy
    Options
    Only had the Nagaoka cartridge for 1 day. I have to listen to it for a month before I can tell you what I think.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Ducati Guy wrote: »
    Hudson Hifi protractor ($20 bucks or less on Amazon)
    gotta save cash wherever I can

Nice work on the upgrades!

How's free? Vinyl engine has them. They have a scale on them you measure after printing to be sure they are correct size. Just worth a mention, if the arm will swing over the spindle, you can use overhang to adjust and check/fine tune with protractor. Overhang is the measurement from stylus to center of spindle.

You should use the protractor designed for your arm/table. There are different alignment methods, which are basically different math to reduce IGD (inner groove distortion ) as the arm swings in. If you use the incorrect protractor, you may have issues and a less than optimum setup.

You do have to register and log in to download, but I've never had a problem with the site. Been there since 2007 or thereabouts.

https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,473
    Options
    I bought a spin clean and a vinyl vacuum wand. Together they get the job done.
    Downloaded my protractor front vinylengine.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • StevieB
    StevieB Posts: 256
    Options
    Vinyl vac is a bit labor intensive but does a good job. Instead of spin clean, I went with an old turntable.
    McCormack DNA-1 Amp, Parasound Halo P5 Pre Amp, Denon DVD 2900 CD player, Adcom GDA 700 DAC, VPI Traveler TT with Denon 103R cartridge, Lounge Audio MKiii phono pre and Copla SUT, Polk SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers, Tributaries series 8 IC's and speaker cable.
  • Ducati Guy
    Options
    Hey SCompRacer,
    I didn't know there were specific protractors for specific turntables. I'll have to check out the site, thanks. Why do they differ?
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hey SCompRacer,
    I didn't know there were specific protractors for specific turntables. I'll have to check out the site, thanks. Why do they differ?

Simple answer, geometry. Depends on length of arm (center of pivot to center of spindle) and shape of arm (straight or curved). As a pivoted arm swings inward, the stylus won't be aligned properly in the inner grooves as the outer. The math offers a compromise for best results to reduce Inner Groove Distortion.

The first alignment method was Logfren. Stevenson and Baerwald are most common. Then there are combinations like Stewart & Stevenson. All math to determine the arc.

Link below is a good page that explains and illustrates the two point alignment method. Note how stylus path ends as stylus overhang. IF the arm extends over the spindle, by setting overhang you achieve the same path as set with two point alignment. Just verify with protractor.

Tables were supplied with protractor but they are easily lost or misplaced. Removable head shell tables supplied a plastic gauge or a dimple molded into shell where stylus should be. Again, overhang. Center of spindle to stylus. But not all table arms will swing above spindle, thus the protractor and two point alignment.

http://www.theanalogdept.com/2_pt_align.htm
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 477
    Options
    I use the Pro-ject record cleaning system, wet bursh and vac. Seems to be ok. I imagine not as messy as a spin clean.

New addition dL-110 Japanese version.
    3cfj4rbuebf1.jpeg
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100 | 150” Elite Screen Acoustic Pro UHD
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Ducati Guy, I just need to clarify that this is 'accessorizing', not upgraditis :D Maybe that helps justify it all :) It's kind of like going from a leather biking jacket up to full body armor B)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Ducati Guy
    Options
    more "accessorizing"
    my latest album
    Shelby Lynne
    opening up her album & turning it side ways vaguely reminded me of the old playboy centerfolds, felt a little guilty
    this 45rpm recording is to die for, her voice is so vibrant and presentfcf2nqm27f01.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    It's OK. You're not her type (at least as I understand it).

:|
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    I'm glad we got to see the gatefold before any 'stains'.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    Spent the day installing a Japanese DL110 (thanks Kerry) as well as new interconnects (thanks Patrick) and a new weight (375 grams from Lounge Audio). All have made a very positive, noticeable difference.
    Next up is something to clean all this vinyl. Am using the MoFi brush and solution, but know I need more.
    niide9ocdq06.jpg
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • Jaybeez
    Options
    Two weeks ago, I inherited 2 boxes of vinyl from a friend who is moving to the East Coast. Most are LPs I don't already own. Today a neighbor was having a garage sale, and practically begged me to take 2 more boxes off his hands. Again, almost no duplicates in the bunch.
    Almost overnight my collection doubled. Looks like this vinyl thing is (back) here to stay!
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

WiiM Mini
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ...unless it's all Barbara Streisand, Mantovani, and Herb Alpert, of course.

;)
  • Jaybeez
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

;)

Funny. There are a few Streisand / Herb Alpert discs in there, as well as some show tunes. Quite a few gems though, including quite a few that I have on CD, and a Sticky Fingers album with underwear on the inside (vs. my current zipper-only version).
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

WiiM Mini
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Jaybeez wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

;)

Funny. There are a few Streisand / Herb Alpert discs in there, as well as some show tunes. Quite a few gems though, including quite a few that I have on CD, and a Sticky Fingers album with underwear on the inside (vs. my current zipper-only version).

I -- I've never pulled down the zipper on the copy I have here.

:|
  • Ducati Guy
    Ducati Guy Posts: 160
    Options
    more vinyl, I'm loving these 45rpm remasters32edilsfrx4d.jpg
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Yo-Yo Ma! Nice.
  • AudioRefugee
    Options
    Neat to see a solid vinyl following here. :) OP seems hooked. You’ve done well with your cart choice and accessories to keep your deck sounding great. Wait till you’re really hooked, catalog your entire collection and start googling record shop anytime you’re traveling. I’ve found vinyl... addictive.
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,083
    Options
    Neat to see a solid vinyl following here. :) OP seems hooked. You’ve done well with your cart choice and accessories to keep your deck sounding great. Wait till you’re really hooked, catalog your entire collection and start googling record shop anytime you’re traveling. I’ve found vinyl... addictive.

Vinyl near me has become my standard when I travel for a few years now....
    more "accessorizing"
    my latest album
    Shelby Lynne
    opening up her album & turning it side ways vaguely reminded me of the old playboy centerfolds, felt a little guilty
    this 45rpm recording is to die for, her voice is so vibrant and presentfcf2nqm27f01.jpg

Is that the TEAC TN-300 in wood finish?
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • Ducati Guy
    Ducati Guy Posts: 160
    Options
    yup, I am definitely hooked.
    the turntable is a TEAC tn-400s, Bordeaux red.
    Wife doesn't get it, but...
    My 19 yr old daughter is now wanting one too.
  • Jaybeez
    Options
    yup, I am definitely hooked.
    the turntable is a TEAC tn-400s, Bordeaux red.
    Wife doesn't get it, but...
    My 19 yr old daughter is now wanting one too.

I'm upgrading from a TN300 with a DL110 cartridge. Wasn't sure if the upgrade was worth it, then I fired up some vinyl tonight and ... yeah I'm into vinyl for the forseeable future. BTW, Lounge Audio has a budget weight that has made a noticeable difference in my setup. http://www.loungeaudio.com/accessories--c1kvn
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

WiiM Mini
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • AudioRefugee
    Options
    Hanging out in New Orleans today. Hit three record shops so far. No Sam & Dave dang it. May go back for a Booker T and the M.G.s, and a Ventures. Scored a Bowie Scarry Monsters and a Jean Luc Ponte. Hope you vinyl heads are enjoying your weekend. :)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Yeah -- well -- of course, New Orleans isn't much of a music town, unfortunately.

;)