Question re IEC connectors: 15amp vs 20amp

Options
Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,517
edited February 2018 in 2 Channel Audio
So, I have a Torus/Bryston RM15 coming in. The output connector (on the back of the unit) is 20amp. I don’t have a special power cord that has a 20amp iec connector.

All my 4 wel power cords are 15amp.

Now, the options are:
1. Use the stock power cord.
2. Send my AQ Wel power cord to AQ for 20amp iec retermination for $500.
3. Trade my newer version 15amp Wel for his older version 20amp Wel. Same length, he gives me $400.
4. Buy a Pangea 20 to 15 adaptor for $29.

I guess my most pressing question is - will putting a 20 to 15 amp adaptor have a significant sonic impact??

Rather than go through the trouble of having my wel reterminated or downgrading to the older version.

Though $400 sounds good too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XY6TW67/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1519504350&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=20+amp+to+15+amp+adapter+iec&dpPl=1&dpID=410ZgKGl44L&ref=plSrch#immersive-view_1519504463344
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    Option 4 and sleep well.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Option 4 and sleep well.

Well that was quick. Good to know
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • F1nut
    Options
    Shunyata makes one as well....costs more of course.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    edited February 2018
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Shunyata makes one as well....costs more of course.

Yes funny you mention that, my friend just texted me the link and picture. $150 for it... if I squint that's pretty much the cost of retermination. I would check again to see if retermination is really $500... that seems like an awful lot if they are just changing out the female end of the cord...

Pangea for $29, makes sense... I doubt I could tell the difference between an inch of copper.
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2018
    Options
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    I'll echo Jesse, but I guess I'm wondering why they put a 20amp IEC on it to begin with? Does it really pull that kind of amperage?
  • F1nut
    edited February 2018
    Options
    If it is rated to pass 20 amps and has 20 amp outlets installed it has to have a 20 amp inlet.

Technically speaking, the owner could swap the 20 amp inlet for a 15 amp, but if they sold it like that down the road and bad juju happened they may open themselves up for legal action.

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    Options
    I believe if it’s a power conditioner then more current capacity is welcome, probably why even though the outlet plugs are 15a, the inlet is 20a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    Got it I'm sorry i thought it was i piece of audio gear not a power source.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I believe even if aq reterminated my wel, it would just be the iec section but the wire is the same. I think stock wel should handle the amperage into a 20a iec
  • F1nut
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I believe if it’s a power conditioner then more current capacity is welcome, probably why even though the outlet plugs are 15a, the inlet is 20a

If it has a 20 amp inlet it has to have 20 amp outlets installed.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I believe even if aq reterminated my wel, it would just be the iec section but the wire is the same. I think stock wel should handle the amperage into a 20a iec

Yep, same cord, different IEC termination.

President of Club Polk

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    Please . . .

Bigger, Better, More! You know you WANT it!

http://www.psaudio.com/directstream-p20-power-plant/
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Joey_V
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Please . . .

Bigger, Better, More! You know you WANT it!

http://www.psaudio.com/directstream-p20-power-plant/

Hahaha omg... I have read about this from AA.

Yes, would be nice.. but I'm not wanting to spend $10K for a power unit. Plus my wife banned me from non-lateral movements until 2019. :(

The Torus RM15 gets lots of good press... plus at the price I got it for, it's a steal.