Upcoming speakers: Focal vs Martin Logan

Options
2»

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I have the ML's in my bathroom and I love how they sound!
    Hmmm
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Although I am a Martin Logan fan, the new line just looks to odd to me and would be a tight fit in my room. It almost seems like ML wanted to deter people from placing them to close to the wall by having that ridiculously long cabinet. Reminds me of a Centaur.
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 904
    Options
    They remind me of my buddy's Genesis G350SE speakers.
  • Polk_CarverFan
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Get the Carver speakers that go all the way to the ceiling. It'll give the kids something to climb.

I have a set of those lol. Taking reasonable offers . Fully original with one kids knee imprint on one of the lower drivers. The ribbons are in great shape still tho.
    Ya kids can be very rough on speakers.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I have placed my deposit on the Focal Kanta 2 in blue.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    Excellent and congrats. Looking forward to your review.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • Joey_V
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I never had a doubt.

I will have a trifecta.

British Italian and French
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Yep2 wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I never had a doubt.

I will have a trifecta.

British Italian and French

Bet the French are the first to "surrender".

I wonder.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    Options
    Woot, called it in the first post! Congrats, can't wait to see some pics.

• Joey_V
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Woot, called it in the first post! Congrats, can't wait to see some pics.

This will be fun... I bet Emma will want to decorate the room with Frozen pics and wall art...
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2018
    Options
    il_fullxfull.1103671515_feqo.jpg

3ouuejimm3cg.jpeg

Meet Emma, Ella, Henry... the three amigos!

They enjoy nightly YouTube music videos in the playroom... I honestly prefer it to my big system.
    Post edited by Joey_V on
  • halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options
    Legender wrote: »
    Focal is my vote... those ML are just not aesthetically appealing to me. For sound... I got no clue, but would love to find out.

The wife mentioned to me last night.... "I dont want anything sticking out"

Lol. My wife sends me to the dog house!
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Congrats bud. On the kids. Now take it one step further and go single parent like I did!!!

Kidding of course. I'm happy that you have three new ways to spend all that dough :p

I’m done at 3... and I need my wife hahaha

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Beautiful babies, Joey.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Beautiful babies, Joey.

Thanks, much appreciated, my friend
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Good on you for trying something new/different @Joey_V

I know you heard these before buying them but, like you said earlier, they're not what you typically buy.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I hope that you enjoy them!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Joey_V
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    Good on you for trying something new/different @Joey_V

I know you heard these before buying them but, like you said earlier, they're not what you typically buy.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I hope that you enjoy them!

Victor,

I agree, I would like to try them and see what they do over a longer period of time. Skip knows - I buy things that are well known or "popular" so as to not lose a ton of cash on the backend if I sell them.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I buy things that are well known or "popular" so as to not lose a ton of cash on the backend if I sell them.

Hence, my inquiry and not intended to derail ...
    What are your thoughts re: Electra 1028 be mating with Rogue M180s and Cary SLP-98 (and/or perhaps a Bracket 1.2 ((Not 1.2 Extreme)) )

The Electra's I'm eye balling are boxed-up, ready to ship 2yr old demos and I'm skittish re: the reputation of them being bright/forward, at least that's what they say about older versions

Me thinks all the tubes I'm running should tame that brightness. But what I was hoping for is the 1028s to have already been tamed/re-engineered at the factory . . . (cannot justify buying new)
    TIA Doc!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Get the Carver speakers that go all the way to the ceiling. It'll give the kids something to climb.

I have a set of those lol. Taking reasonable offers . Fully original with one kids knee imprint on one of the lower drivers. The ribbons are in great shape still tho.
    Ya kids can be very rough on speakers.

Careful, skirting the rules a bit...
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2018
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    I buy things that are well known or "popular" so as to not lose a ton of cash on the backend if I sell them.

Hence, my inquiry and not intended to derail ...
    What are your thoughts re: Electra 1028 be mating with Rogue M180s and Cary SLP-98 (and/or perhaps a Bracket 1.2 ((Not 1.2 Extreme)) )

The Electra's I'm eye balling are boxed-up, ready to ship 2yr old demos and I'm skittish re: the reputation of them being bright/forward, at least that's what they say about older versions

Me thinks all the tubes I'm running should tame that brightness. But what I was hoping for is the 1028s to have already been tamed/re-engineered at the factory . . . (cannot justify buying new)
    TIA Doc!

I think you will enjoy it. I have 2 friends who have the 1038Be... they are a solid speaker. The 1028Be might just be right for someone not looking at maximum bass impact. Keep in mind the 1027 was the king of the electra line for a while, and that was right before you jumped into the Utopia series. And the 1028 takes it one notch above.

Honestly, with tubes, it would be a great match.

Are they bright, it depends.

I do not believe they are bright per se, but I believe they are highly revealing. If you fed them poor sources, then they would not be forgiving. The 1028 is a warmer version of the 1027, rest assured.

I think the question you asked is if it is balanced... I believe it is a balanced speaker. Your upstream would do it justice IMO.

In addition, the configuration of the midrange above the tweeter does well to inhibit certain reflections off the ceiling, which leads to a perhaps less bright sound as well as you don't get as much secondary high freq reflections.

Bottomline - 1028/1038Be series were less bright than the 802D2 (2nd gen) that I had in my room.

Treat your room, tame the first reflections, tube the gear above the 1028Be and I believe you should be in for a treat.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    @GlennDog

2nd thought...

As for me, I believe I would love for the Kanta 2 to be paired with a Cary SLP98 and a pair of Parasound JC1. That to me would be the preferred system with my upcoming Focals. A little tube and a little class A... perfecto.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options

I think you will enjoy it.
    Honestly, with tubes, it would be a great match.

Are they bright?? it depends.

I do not believe they are bright per se, but I believe they are highly revealing. If you fed them poor sources, then they would not be forgiving. The 1028 is a warmer version of the 1027, rest assured.

I think the question you asked is if it is balanced... I believe it is a balanced speaker. Your upstream would do it justice IMO.

In addition, the configuration of the midrange above the tweeter does well to inhibit certain reflections off the ceiling, which leads to a perhaps less bright sound as well as you don't get as much secondary high freq reflections.

Bottomline - 1028/1038Be series were less bright than the 802D2 (2nd gen) that I had in my room.

Treat your room, tame the first reflections, tube the gear above the 1028Be and I believe you should be in for a treat.

I don't need a left ventricle, but if you were selling one, I'd buy it, STAT!

That's just what I was hoping one would say (and I hope it's true when mated to My system in My room) ...

btw, my recent "source" acquisition is a NSD Supremo and as I run-her-in ...she's sounding Effing FANTASTIC!

I know a guy that sells 'em . . .
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12