Power Amp to work with Polk Signature SRS 2 speakers

I tried using. Proceed amp3 ampmtoday with these speakers and I got a loud thumping sound ,I removed the cable that links the 2 speakers and the speakers played ,tried hooking the cable back and the speakers made the same noise.I hooked the speakers up to a Pioneer SX-3700 without any issues.

Comments

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Not familiar with Proceed amp3 . . . is it a non-Common ground amp?
    This is very important
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    You got tbe noise because the amp is not common ground.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Why didn't it fry something?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • I guess I got lucky ,I hooked the amp up to another pair of speakers and it is playing without any issues.I used a Hafler dh-220 and that combo played with any noise.What amps have some of you have used with Polk speakers with the the special cable
  • Tony M
    edited February 2018
    I'm using a NAD C370 or (C372?) Integrated with a set of SDA-SRS2's with great success for years now.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    All SDA speakers require a common ground amp when using a standard interconnect cable. To verify if the amp you want to use is common ground, use a multi meter to check for continuity between the left and right negative terminals. If you do not have continuity, do not use that amp.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    Tony M wrote: »
    Why didn't it fry something?

Different things happen with different amps. Sometimes the amp cooks, sometimes the speakers cook, sometimes both, sometimes things make weird noises.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tony, I can't believe it didn't damage something,but I have been playing amp all day on another pair of speakers without any trouble.I have been playing the speakers using a pioneer receiver all drivers working without any distortion.
  • Tony M
    I'm glad to hear that. Very glad.

I've heard of some bad results here on the forum.

I didn't know one could escape undamaged. Maybe you didn't continue to play them.
  • The second I heard that noise I shut the amp off,then I unplugged the special cable and the speakers played without issue I then hooked up my receiver and hooked the cable back up and everything was fine.