Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Give it a rest boys

Good advice. I'm out.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,754
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I copied and pasted one of the rules of this forum after reading where someones condolences went beyond what I felt was stated in the rules..

What rule was broken? There was no religious discussion at that point, no sermons. Someome mentioned a religious figure passed away, you jumped in quickly with the rules.

Had it escalated it into a full-on religious brawl then maybe I can see your point.

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    edited February 2018
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    ...Might be a better idea to work out your differences in PM's to each other than air it out on the forum every time you guys post something...

Some solid advice right there, and I can tell you from personal experience that it works. I had my own run-in with Jesse when I was new here. I checked my ego long enough to shoot him a pm, and ended up having a pretty nice conversation - actually found out we shared a bit of history on another forum :smile:

Problem is, some people don’t want to smooth things out - they thrive on discord and conflict, and look for it at every opportunity. The last thing they want is to work things out and get on with life, because then they would have to “step off the stage” and just become one of the group.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    Options
    ...Then someone made a blatant political comment and I responded with a picture of a dog. :p Then the OP tried to justify his original comment and started in with the name-calling and I responded about the rules again in a completely clinical manner...

Yeah yeah - look, most of us are on to your game. You instigate by pushing and pushing (in a subtle manner) until someone snaps back at your condescending comments, then you want to run crying to the teacher that you’re the victim - we all witnessed this behavior in elementary school. The thing is, most grew out of it.

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Geebus criminy, will y'all shut up already?

Some of y'all have the personality of a cheese grater wrapped in sandpaper.

It's not cowardly to put someone on the ignore list. It's an easy way to keep the peace. We all have better things to do with our time than deal with whatever needless friction we're ignoring anyway.

If you're on an ignore list it's not because you're spouting some truth that no one wants to hear or can't handle. It's because you have the personality of a cactus in a wool sweater and they don't want to deal with you.

I know personal responsibility is a novel idea in this day and age but seriously, if you don't like someone, you don't have to tell them so at every turn of a corner. I mean why would you want to deliberately interact with someone you don't like by antagonizing them with petulant antics? I mean, really, that defies all logic and makes no sense. It's like saying "Hey, I don't like you so I'm going to force myself to have more interaction with you than anyone else, even the ones I DO like, because I can't grow up and leave you alone! Howzat sound?" Just let it go and stay away from those you can't stand. It's not hard, I do it all the time.

Lastly, if you're being called out for your posts/behavior, it's not because you're getting ganged up on or anything silly like that. It's 'cause you're going off the deep end and tipping the whole boat over while you're doing. It's a clue that maybe you should take a breather, go do something else for a little bit or something until you cool off and can participate like a functional human being again.

It goes the other way too and just because one person is pointing out that someone is going overboard with something doesn't mean everyone else has to tell that person too. Just gracefully step out of the situation. You don't have to even tell anyone you are out, especially if you haven't posted in the thread before that point anyway. Just leave it be, let it die. It's not hard. There's plenty of other stuff to talk about.

Not everything has to turn into an argument. And religion or not, Billy Graham was a celebrity religious figure. It's not out of line to mention anything religious about the man who devoted his life to religion. It's not actual discussion of religion either if folks want to remember the man with a religious or spiritual statement. If you don't want to see it, don't look at it. That's your choice as much as it's the person's choice who posted something totally benign that you have issue with. What the real problem is that someone can't even share such news because someone might get offended that he was a religious figure. It's like you can't even mention that Billy Graham passed away because it will invariably turn in to this kind of malarkey. That's pathetic.
    Post edited by Jstas on
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Dang it John, there ya go again, injecting common sense. I just made popcorn too....was taking money on squares to see who gets a vacation next. :p

Ken, how about we close this one out before we go so south, we're all getting tans and eating taco's.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    And so this thread will soon be closed.....

I am beginning to wonder if we will ever get back to audio.....
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »

Audio is boring..... B)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options

Why wonder? Start talking about audio.

Again, not that hard.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    All of this sniping is a perfect reason to shy away from politics or religion on an audio forum. However, i don't see any harm in wishing an apparently good man farewell on his journey.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    Personally as an interesting thought, perhaps Billy would be GLAD that the thread got closed.

Because the man and his message are tied together such that you cant mention one without the other, and as that was his purpose in life, perhaps its the greatest compliment you can give him :smile:

Just a random thought.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    Just PRETEND ignore. That's where you put someone on "ignore" but take them OFF ignore so you can read their comments. :p

Just to clarify this, when you put someone on ignore and they post in a thread you are looking at, there is a button you can click to see that particular post (while still keeping them on ignore).

I would also like to just mention that occasionally highlighting and correcting grammar mistakes can at times be fun (especially if autocorrect on a phone makes changes words in a funny way), but eventually it might rub people the wrong way.

Unlike when writing work procedural manuals, process memo's, or work emails, where correct grammar and professionalism matter, this is the internet and its much less important here.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    The original post title was CLEAR AS DAY as to the content. If you know you have a beef with a topic, then why proceed to crash the thread? 1 word: Instigator. Then you want to back-peddle and play the victim. Pathetic, but that is the truth.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Nuff Sade! Peice Dee
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited February 2018
    Options
    If an ex-president should pass away, we would pay respect as well regardless of the political affiliation. Many people would hold such a person in high regard. Even those opposed would acknowledge the impact such a prominent person has. And most people would have respect for the dead and their family regardless. Even if you truly hated the person, then just keep silent and allow others to mourn and pay respect. That's common decency. But if you are that easily triggered then you should leave and go find your "safe" place.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    The original post title was CLEAR AS DAY as to the content. If you know you have a beef with a topic, then why proceed to crash the thread? 1 word: Instigator. Then you want to back-peddle and play the victim. Pathetic, but that is the truth.

Nailed it..................................
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    Options

The true definition of a coward...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    I read the RIP thread, formed my own opinion and moved on. I participate in about a dozen forums for a wide range of subjects and find mods do a pretty good job of policing the threads. In forums where this isn’t the case I find myself visiting less often. The words to a particular Devo song are now stuck in my brain, so I’ll move along now and hope peace settles in on Polkland.
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ahhh. I went back to the OP and the problem became apparent very quickly. Someone went full-on DB and turned it political. tsk tsk. This is why i stay off Facebook.

I see there are a lot of really good people on this forum and the ones keeping their political and religious beliefs private makes it so our opinions of them aren't colored in any way.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Some never learn.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I love my new (to me) Totem Rainmakers...
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    I know nothing about Billy Graham's son or that he even had one. I copied and pasted one of the rules of this forum after reading where someones condolences went beyond what I felt was stated in the rules. I didn't make any DEMANDS of anyone. I simply posted the rule. At that point I "let it ride" and didn't comment about the OP.

Then someone made a blatant political comment and I responded with a picture of a dog. :p Then the OP tried to justify his original comment and started in with the name-calling and I responded about the rules again in a completely clinical manner.

I could have taken a completely different tack from the get-go, but I didn't. It's all a matter of perception. I bet 9 out of 10 of you would swear in court that I was an "atheist".

"someones"? Something's missing...

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

What's this thread about again? Nevermind.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Spin it however you want, it's obvious to anyone with more than 1 operational brain cell what you're doing.

Oh yeah? What is that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSA_sWGM44

If it walks like an Eduard Khil, quacks like an Eduard Khil...

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Spring training started! Who's your pick for the World Series this year? :)
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,754
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

Audio is boring..... B)

That's only because you don't believe in upgrading cables..... :p
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,096
    Options
    Since we're onto baseball now... Remember Sidd Finch? :)
    04zwl81qh53c.jpg
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    So there I was at this poker game sitting next to a monkey and a leopard. Suddenly, the monkey throws down his cards and yells at the leopard, "You're a cheetah!"
  • TNTsTunes
    Options
    The teacher asked the class to use the word “fascinate” in a sentence.

Molly put up her hand and said, “My family went to my granddad's farm, and we all saw his pet sheep. It was fascinating."

The teacher said, “That was good, but I wanted you to use the word ‘fascinate,’ not 'fascinating'.”

Sally raised her hand. She said, “My family went to see Rock City and I was fascinated.”

The teacher said, “Well, that was good Sally, but I wanted you to use the word ‘fascinate’.”

Little Johnny raised his hand, but the teacher hesitated because she had been burned by Little Johnny before. She finally decided there was no way he could damage the word “fascinate,” so she called on him.

Johnny said, “My aunt Carolyn has a sweater with ten buttons, but her chest is so big she can only fasten eight!”

The teacher sat down and cried.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    Options
    2 pretzels are walking down the street.................one was a salted

2 men walk into a bar......................the third one ducks...................
This discussion has been closed.