ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature Line Stage Tube Pre

Options
Continuing to change out my gear so am selling my ModWright tube pre. This is the Signature Edition that has the MW caps and tube rectified power supply. It has HT bypass. Was $3000 new. I am the second owner. Lots of info on the web on this unit. It has a black brushed aluminum faceplate and also comes with a spare silver faceplate. It uses two 5687 tubes on the input stage and one 5AR4 tube in the power supply. The power supply was upgraded at Dan Wright's recommendation in 2014 (photo of receipt attached).

Currently installed are two GE 5687 tubes and one Mullard Britain 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier (these will be removed for shipment). Also included are two unused NOS rated Tung Sol 5687's. Will also throw in one used Mullard rectifier.

Conservatively rating this "7" on the Audiogon scale. If you take it out into bright sun and put your face right up to the black faceplate you will notice evidence that it was actually used. No scratches or dents. Looks great. Note that the silver faceplate does have a tiny nick on the bottom edge as can be seen in the photo (under the "L" in SWL). I only ever used the black (which I bought from Dan Wright and it was the last one he had!).

Includes original box, manual, and remote.

This has been in my rig for 7 years and loved it, but I am downsizing. Offered at $1000 plus shipping to Polkies with 100 or more post count. Price is firm (because it's a great deal!)

v1bhjmulp5tu.jpg

46v7tcsgs15z.jpg

gm3p5krekjkw.jpg

cmm519pfj0rr.jpg

9kingpc6t7pp.jpg

lbdlbelwbbxi.jpg

sty9gi2o7mdu.jpg

ip3bpsr857iv.jpg

0ot7ofunu8n5.jpg
SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    Options
    @halo you know you want it!
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @Clipdat , @SCompRacer used to have this preamp and it is fabulous. Yes, I want it but, more importantly, so should you. If I change preamps, the capacitor(s) in my Bottlehead Reduction phono preamp with the Integration upgrade have to be changed to match the impedance (if I have that worded correctly Rich?). I don’t do the soldering so that’s a no-go for me right now. Rich has very graciously modified my pre for me already (after having assembled the kit initially) when I switched from a Parasound P5 to the Cary Audio Design CPA-1.

I used to own a Modwright modified Sony SACD but, sadly, had to part with it: forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/75626/sony-modwright-ns9100es-cd-sacd-dvd-with-tube-rectified-ps#latest

Again, this is a wonderful preamp that you should seriously consider buying. I’m certain that it would topple the Saga in a nanosecond.

To the OP, that is a beautiful pre with a lot of goodies included and one heckofa crazy good deal! GLWTS!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    @Clipdat , @SCompRacer used to have this preamp and it is fabulous. Yes, I want it but, more importantly, so should you. If I change preamps, the capacitor(s) in my Bottlehead Reduction phono preamp with the Integration upgrade have to be changed to match the impedance (if I have that worded correctly Rich?). I don’t do the soldering so that’s a no-go for me right now. Rich has very graciously modified my pre for me already (after having assembled the kit initially) when I switched from a Parasound P5 to the Cary Audio Design CPA-1.

Again, this is a wonderful preamp that you should seriously consider buying. I’m certain that it would topple the Saga in a nanosecond.

To the OP, that is a beautiful pre with a lot of goodies included and one heckofa crazy good deal! GLWTS!

I agree. I thought about grabbing it for myself, but, I just sent the Joule off today for a major upgrade, so, this one is really not for me. If it had shown up yesterday it would probably be mine and the Joule would have stayed as is.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited February 2018
    Options
    This is a wonderful pre amp!

Yes, I had a SWL 9.0 SE and then a SWLP 9.0 SE. The P was built in ModWright phono. The SWLP had the power supply external.

I had a Blue face plate. As I recall that was a couple hundred dollar option for a color face plate. I used nuke missile tubes in mine, the MU6900.

Victor, I need to know the input impedance of the ModWright, than we can figure what coupling caps are needed or if you are OK.

cgr1f04cewak.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Thanks for the info man. I like the looks of it, but ideally I need 5 line inputs for my setup.
    @Clipdat , @SCompRacer used to have this preamp and it is fabulous.

• kharp1
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Thanks for the info man. I like the looks of it, but ideally I need 5 line inputs for my setup.
    @Clipdat , @SCompRacer used to have this preamp and it is fabulous.

If you find you need 5 line inputs it may be time for an intervention. You have source identification issues, perhaps, and should seek pseudo, simi life guidance. :)
  • Clipdat
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I have three CD players currently. So yeah, I have issues. Deep seated issues that need professional help.

Edit: I heard a rumor that you might have one player for me... to rule them all.
    kharp1 wrote: »
    If you find you need 5 line inputs it may be time for an intervention. You have source identification issues, perhaps, and should seek pseudo, simi life guidance. :)

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    That's an awesome deal.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,475
    Options
    PM sent
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • machone
    Options
    Been thinking about a tubed pre for some time. This one has all that I am looking for so I am very interested.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• Clipdat
    Options
    It should be an instant buy on sight. Do it man, you won't be disappointed.
    machone wrote: »
    Been thinking about a tubed pre for some time. This one has all that I am looking for so I am very interested.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Don't think about it gents, grab this. You will NOT be disappointed....and at this price, no brainer is an understatement.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Had this been put up for sale a month or so ago it would've been mine. Sigh.
    tonyb wrote: »
    Don't think about it gents, grab this. You will NOT be disappointed....and at this price, no brainer is an understatement.

• kharp1
    Options
    I'm in agreement that it's a no brainer. It sits here another day I'll probably buy it just to punish the person that was thinking about it but couldn't quite talk themselves in to it.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    Options
    If I had the cash it'd be mine already. You can torment me, Kerry. :)
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    This item is SOLD to machone. Congrats! It is a great pre and I'm glad to have it go to a Polkie.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Wow congrats
    ...been out of town for a couple days

Big Modwright fan, this is a really great piece. Did a lot of talking and emailing Dan about this unit and the LS100. The only reason I chose the 100 was the impedance matching spec's to the Threshold amps
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Victor, I need to know the input impedance of the ModWright, than we can figure what coupling caps are needed or if you are OK.

I'm good with the Cary Audio Design CPA-1 my friend but thank you :smile:

I sent you an email & some texts about a different issue I'm dealing with at the moment. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats @machone! you STOLE this while everyone else was contemplating! :smiley:
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • kharp1
    Options
    Guess I dodged another bullet. If it was here tomorrow evening when I came in to work it was coming to Louisville
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Congrats Machone, Very nice Preamp! I also have one of Dan's LS-100 Pre's, he's big on Tube Rectified Power Supplies, defiantly a Cut Above.
  • machone
    Options
    YEE HAW :)
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    YEE HAW :)

You done good.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • machone
    Options
    Got the pre today! Looking foward to tonight :)

43cz7bvxmsv8.jpg

Why is jetmaker banned?
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• maingey
    maingey Posts: 628
    Options
    Got the pre today! Looking foward to tonight :)

43cz7bvxmsv8.jpg

Why is jetmaker banned?

I would like to know also, please.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    NICE GRAB! I pondered that pre years ago and almost pulled the trigger.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Well, we're waiting....for some observations. Tick-tock bro.

....or are you still looking for that left nut that bounced down the air return vent ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1
    Options
    I had this one in my sights as well. Looking forward to your thoughts.
  • machone
    Options
    I unpacked it, installed the tubes and powered it up with no problems. Then I Dynamated the cover. I also installed it using a VH Audio Flavor 2 power cord that I built last week and have been burning in using my amp (surprised how good that combo sounded but that is another story).

I was tired, it was late and I only listened a little while falling in and out of sleep so it is too early to comment except to say it sounds as good or better than the DH110 but I kinda expected that. Didn't blow me away but yesterday was a long irritating day so we shall see tonight. . :)

c9lcin26chal.jpg

9idu2yyjphnl.jpg

1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4