"teardown reviews" (FWIW)

So, there I was, minding my own business, reading a Schiit-bashing thread Someplace Else.
There was a post to that thread with a link to a teardown review of the Schiit "Modi" DAC. Lots of pictures & a fair amount of prose, basically saying "Not badly built for a cheap product, but some ugly manual soldering of through-hole mounted parts." (I paraphrase liberally.)

At any rate, there are a plethora (maybe even a bevy) of little teardown tales on the site, which I (at least) 1) found interesting and 2) hadn't seen before...

so...

I figured I'd share the link! :)
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?articles/

Strictly "as-is", FYI and FWIW; no affiliation & no warranty, express or implied.

My apologies if this is old news to everyone in cyberspace but me!

k2ygnhfy19qp.png
"It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)

Comments

• billbillwbillbillw Posts: 5,783
    He wouldn't like my solder repairs...sometimes they look perfect, sometimes like a silver booger covered in black burnt flux.
    Main 2-ch:
    Sony SS-M9; LSA Statement Amplifier; VPI HW-19 Mk3/Sumiko Premier FT-4/Audio Technica AT15SA; Pass Labs DIY Pearl Phono; Sony SCD-C333ES SACD Changer; TEAC UD-301 DAC; Dell/WYSE 5010 (running Daphile); Sony ST-SA5ES Tuner; Nanotec Golden Strada speaker cables (SR+#79 Shotgun); Audioquest Coral interconnects
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,509
    Sure, but you're also not a business who's specialty is selling high end audio equipment.
    billbillw wrote: »
    He wouldn't like my solder repairs...sometimes they look perfect, sometimes like a silver booger covered in black burnt flux.

Got Dayens?
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 18,753
    I wouldn't sweat the flux, but solder spatter could be a problem.
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Sure, but you're also not a business who's specialty is selling high end audio equipment.

I've sold a lot of high end audio equipment...
    Main 2-ch:
    Sony SS-M9; LSA Statement Amplifier; VPI HW-19 Mk3/Sumiko Premier FT-4/Audio Technica AT15SA; Pass Labs DIY Pearl Phono; Sony SCD-C333ES SACD Changer; TEAC UD-301 DAC; Dell/WYSE 5010 (running Daphile); Sony ST-SA5ES Tuner; Nanotec Golden Strada speaker cables (SR+#79 Shotgun); Audioquest Coral interconnects
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,509
    Manufactured it as well for mass sale via e-commerce?

Got Dayens?
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Manufactured it as well for mass sale via e-commerce?

dude...I'm 'tongue in cheek' here.
    Main 2-ch:
  • mpitogompitogo Posts: 274
    edited February 21
    Thanks for sharing. I haven’t seen that site before but now a new one for my reading list. I agree Audio is more science/EE than anythning.
    Music-2.0 Raidho D-3.1 | Audio Research Ref 40 | Jeff Roland 925 | Esoteric Grandioso K1 | Transparent Reference, IC, Speaker and Power | HRS SXR Rack
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 18,753
    mpitogo wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing. I haven’t seen that site before but now a new one for my reading list. I agree Audio is more science/EE than anything.
    [emphasis added]

Oh, I don't know about that! ;)

I think (FWIW) that truly stirring reproduction of audio sits right at the intersection of art & science. There was some interesting stuff on that site, and - I thought - a lot of negativity. Of course, the hardware 'tested' tended towards the low-end (though not exclusively so), but the reviewer was particularly hard on the expensive stuff.

I was actually surprised by how well made some of the cheap/generic stuff looked to be (e.g., a "Topping" branded DAC).

Still, interesting to peruse.
    I think there's a broader-interest forum there, too -- but I haven't had the nerve to look at it! :)