FS: B & K Reference 200.5 5 ch power amp

Options
Black B & K 200.5 5 ch power amp. A classic surround amp that sounds great and needs a new home. Works great and will pack it very well. $800 plus shipping. Downsizing and lots to sell.
Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    Options
    Love mine! This amp has NUTZZZ!!!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • schatzi2015
    Options
    Any pics? I have three B&K Refererence amps and looking for another. Yes EndersShadow, these amps have huge ones!! Actualy looking for another 200.7 but may be able to work with this.
  • dalylaleahthor
    Options
    Love all 3 of my b&k. Great amp.
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    Options
    Here's the pics. It's very clean, going to miss it's clean sound.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Nice amp.If I was in need this would be sold.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Sorry Biker, I'm not familiar with this.
    #1 Any idea on the cost to add 2 more channels?
    #2 Known age?
    #3 Are you able to use less than all 5 channels at once? Let's say just use it as a stereo amp?
    TIA!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Sorry Biker, I'm not familiar with this.
    #1 Any idea on the cost to add 2 more channels?
    #2 Known age?
    #3 Are you able to use less than all 5 channels at once? Let's say just use it as a stereo amp?
    TIA!
    I will help as I have this amp.

1. Not possible as B&K doesn’t sell individual channels, so you don’t have to buy another amp and take its channels. IIRC the internals are the same meaning it could be done if you found the parts.
    2. Can’t help here but ATI support might help as they own B&K and may be able to give you the born date from the serial number
    3. Absolutely.

I have a electronic copy of the owners manual and schemtics I can email whoever buys this amp.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • bikerboy
    Options
    Thanks ES for the answers. I used all 5 channels-2 for stereo, 1 for subwoofer, 2 for house sound. Before that I also used all 5 channels for ht with a mono amp for the sub. If you need 7.1 just add a stereo for the surround speakers and you're good to go. Or a 4 channel and have 11.1.
    Age? Doesn't have a build date on the outside. Haven't removed the top.
    It has xlr and rca inputs so you can connect it to most anything.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    I have a 200.5 minus 1 due to blowing an amp when speaker wires touched whilst jamming. Could help to make a 9 in a 9.1 or 9.2 system.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Location for pick up please? GLWYS Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    Options
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    Location for pick up please? GLWYS Peace. D

Seattle
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    I will help as I have this amp.

1. Not possible as B&K doesn’t sell individual channels, so you don’t have to buy another amp and take its channels. IIRC the internals are the same meaning it could be done if you found the parts.
    2. Can’t help here but ATI support might help as they own B&K and may be able to give you the born date from the serial number
    3. Absolutely.

I have a electronic copy of the owners manual and schemtics I can email whoever buys this amp.

Thanks!
    Good info ...
    I'll try to call ATI this week
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,758
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, the 200.5 & 200.7 had a larger PSU than the 200.2. I remember hearing about the .5 & .7 being slightly better in terms of SQ when I was on the hunt for a 200.2.
  • bikerboy
    Options
    The back panel is setup with precut holes that are blocked. I would think the transformer would be different for the 200.7. Just buy this and my Parasound A-21 and get it over with
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    It's a beast, weighs about 80lbs shipping weight if I recall.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,575
    edited February 2018
    Options
    bikerboy wrote: »
    I would think the transformer would be different for the 200.7.

Most certainly unless each board has it's own power supply. The torrid for the 200.5 would never supply enough for the 200.7 at the rated power not to mention you would have extra wires in there doing what?

• bikerboy
    Options
    You can see though the top that it is one big tx
  • EndersShadow
    edited February 2018
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    bikerboy wrote: »
    I would think the transformer would be different for the 200.7.

Most certainly unless each board has it's own power supply. The torrid for the 200.5 would never supply enough for the 200.7 at the rated power not to mention you would have extra wires in there doing what?

Ivan.... I'm telling you, I popped the top on my 200.5 and its wired for a 200.7 on the board and with the same transformer....

There are 4 extra empty fuses on the board, 2 per side, and there are some cut wires elsewhere (sorry dont have pics of those)

d7l1bemmknd2.jpg

g8h6bkixumrr.jpg
    y004r6abgwgb.jpg

• pitdogg2
    Options
    Very interesting Dan
  • EndersShadow
    edited February 2018
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Very interesting Dan

Doesn't it make sense? Look at a lot of their amps. The 2 channel ones share the same chassis as the 3, just with a cover over the third channel. The 5 and 7 channel share the same chassis, and likely the input board.

The transformer is easier to buy in bulk and just use the same one for either your 5 or 7 channel amp. Same with the PCB. You only need to know how many channels to wire up, but the input boards are all the same.

I'm trying to find the actual parts lists, but all I can find is the schematics & owners manual ATI sent me for the amps, which are the same as the 71xx series amps.

I've attached the manual and schematics for folks looking at home.

• pitdogg2
    Options
    Yes i understand the chassis being interchangeable that makes total sense. One would think if they used the torrid for the 7 ch in the 5ch then the 5ch would have slightly more power but i guess not using the extra wires must negate that. Yes boards can be also interchangeable.
    All good Dan
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    Somebody buy this, Jeff is good people.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Options
    If I could somehow afford this it would be gone. I went from the B&K av5000 to the B&K av5000 series 2. The series 2 was a noticeable jump from the AV5000 and this is a SIGNIFICANT step up from both. B&K makes bulletproof products that stand the test of time and are easy to work on if necessary. Jeff is a great contributor, long time member and honorable seller. Good luck with the sale.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Yep, plus the amp sounds darn good. 8 bones for a 5 channel amp of this quality.....gotta recognize deals when ya see them gents.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    Options
    I have one of these and just to echo one of the previous posts this is one heavy piece of equipment. I was recently reconfiguring the layout of my system and I initially forgot to brace before picking it up! Also, just remember to have the switching the right position by the inputs to select if you are using XLR or rca. And yes, you don't need all 5 of the inputs running.
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • bikerboy
    Options
    Lowering the price to $700 plus shipping.
    Last amp I need to sell.
  • jpdnkstr
    jpdnkstr Posts: 13
    Options
    I am very interested in this amp and I thought I had left a message but I don't think I've done it correctly. Please contact me if it's still available. I have been a Polkie for many years but I am new to the forums.
  • bikerboy
    Options
    This amp is sold. Thanks Joe.
  • jpdnkstr
    jpdnkstr Posts: 13
    Options
    Tracking info received. thank you Jeff, cannot wait to give this baby a listen.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    jpdnkstr wrote: »
    Tracking info received. thank you Jeff, cannot wait to give this baby a listen.

You won’t be disappointed!