Need suggestions with new speaker choice.

Hi there dear audiophiles..

I am looking to change out my Bowers & Wilkins speakers, they are the 801 series 3 model. Now i am not to deep into audio, but i do like how they sound. But a friend of mine is offering a trade to his Polk speakers. He asked me to add some money to it too as they are "classics".

He is offering the Polk SDA srs i heard them but was not that impressed (no offense who love them) he said it's his amplifier older model Mcintosh. So not sure what think here or what to do.

Thank you for any input guys!

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Hey different sound me thinks. If you like what you have why trade? Sounds like he is hoping to get some money outta yous...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rooftop59
    FWIW if you start a new thread and title it "B&W 801 series 3 vs. Polk SDA SRS", i think that you will a lot more clicks and more feedback. Lots of people here have heard both and have lots of experience and opinions to share.

You could also ask @KennethSwauger to change the title of this thread if you are so inclined...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    edited February 2018
    I believe your “friend” is trying to get the upper hand here. Those polks are nice and all but... doesn’t seem like much of a friend to me
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Ahhh okay ! I appreciate the comments so far, i will think this over for sure.
  • rooftop59
    I will also say this: price of the SDAs is all over the place depending on location, condition, and mod or stock. the B&Ws are probably easier to price check. Check recent sales on eBay and audiogon for an idea...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    You need to find better friends.

ASAP.
  • Here is my opinion, FWIW. SDA SRS's are some of the best speakers, like, ever. 801's are just OK. My opinion is totally unbiased, of course.

Seriously though, I have always enjoyed the sound of the smaller B&W's far more than the biggies. It's hard to explain but it seems like the 801's have this very weird gap between the bass and midrange. My Son and I just listened to a pair of the new B&Ws at BB and he said they didn't even sound as good as my old SDA 1's.

That's my boy right there.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited February 2018
    I had modified SDA SRS II by a well respected Polkie and thought I'd "upgrade" to the bigger 2.3TLs . . . HUGE mistake (for me)

alas, I miss my SRS IIs (that went to a friend). Maybe someday Ill get 'em back

GREAT speaker, when done right
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12