Steven Wilson - To The Bone

TLDR - Steven Wilson wrote a pop album and it's superb, go buy it

I got an early look at this album and was asked not to post anything on it until it releases, which is today, so here are some quick thoughts. I don't do reviews so this is not that, just a couple quick thoughts and to bring it to people's attention. I'm about half a dozen listens in, so this is not a first impression as I find those generally useless when it comes to evaluating music.

Those of you who know Steven Wilson are probably are already aware of his influence and connections within the music industry, his attention to detail and ability with mastering resulting in albums with generally excellent sound quality, and his superb songwriting ability. Those of you not familiar with him...well see above. He's done great work with Porcupine Tree and Blackfield and has put out several solo albums over the last few years, ranging from good to superb.

He is generally tagged as a prog rock guy, although he has been incorporating more pop rock into his music over the last 15 years or so (think songs with a catchy tune, I'm not talking radio super pop "I'm all about that bass"). This is the first album where those songs probably outnumber the truly progressive tunes, he's been sprinkling those in on albums for years but there are more of them here.

The end result is an album that's going to be more "accessible" to a wider audience, but without "selling out" or sacrificing his typical songwriting. If anything I'd say he's found a way to make progressive pop, if that makes sense. Even though this album is coming along in what is likely to be the second half of his career I'd say it's a great "gateway" album for people to check him out, it's actually similar to "So" by Peter Gabriel in that way for those of you familiar with his career (though you likely won't hear any of these track on the radio).

As much as I'm generally a fan of his stuff, I don't always "get" Steven Wilson's music on the first listen. This album is no exception, there were some songs that immediately jumped out at me, a few others took a listen or two before I was like "Ah, I get it now"...as an aside those songs often end up being my favorites over time.

Songs I immediately liked:
To The Bone
Pariah
Permanating
Song of I
Detonation

Songs that took a couple listens
Nowhere Now
The Same Asylum as Before
Refuge
People Who Eat Darkness
Song of Unborn

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Thanks for the heads up and mini review!
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    How does this compare to say - "Fear of a Blank Planet" or some of what I would call his more "rock" influenced stuff? Is it a little harder edged or more pop/progressive?
    Thanks!
    Ed
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    This is definitely more pop oriented than Fear of a Blank Planet or really anything put out by Porcupine Tree. Of all their albums I'd say this is closest to The Incident, but even that is not a great comparison.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I have yet to hear any Steve Wilson that I didn't like. Does he have that chick singing on this album?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Ninet Tayeb...yes on two songs
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Here's the story: Steven Wilson - To The Bone (Track-by-Track)
    https://youtu.be/dy53tnr7egE
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    I don't know if I mentioned it, and it's pretty much a given at this point, but the sound quality is quite good. It's about on par with the last few albums, the dynamic range is a little compressed even on the HDTracks version I have, but it's not bad. He seems to get the right balance of not having the sound suffer due to compression but not being obnoxiously quiet like some recordings
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    And you can test it on tidal FYI.

Although a little out of my usual range, I am digging it overall. Several songs remind me a little of some of My Morning Jackets more psychedelic stuff fwiw...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    This may be a little in site for Steve Wilson recordings
    https://www.soundonsound.com/people/porcupine-tree

Started investigating recordings from watching David Wilson's Utube videos where he describes choosing his AD gear to transfer his master RTR's

Native DSD and Blue Coast have been pretty honest where the recording originate
    If you have questions on tracks or albums they will answer them

I am a hi-res proponent, but want the source...not a fan of upscale...tuurd in tuurd out

That being said I don't have a problem with a recording master ie Hoffman taking the masters and remixing. Of course your at the mercy of that master and rely on his/her ears. Of course Hoffman is one of the best.

When the artists themselves ie Steve Wilson, Mark Knopfler etc understand the art of recording they can influence and sign off on their work, making it a usual trustworthy purchase....they're not artists managed and rushed in and out of studios

This doesn't answer the 96/24 for To The Bone, but a gate way to find the answers

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • afterburnt
    I still wonder why he put's other artist remixes on DVD-A and his on Blew Ray
  • afterburnt
    There is something on there about "my truth" that ruined the whole album! :#