Upgrading Crossovers on POLK SDA 2.3 - help ordering parts

Options
2»

Comments

• prosuite
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    That will work, but it would be better to use one with a higher wattage rating.

http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/05-ohm-mills-mra-12-p-645

Thanks for the info F1 Nut. You seem to know your stuff.

I decided to change out the Polyswitches first to see where I'm at. I got some good advice to do the changes bit by bit. I think that makes sense to isolate the issue. I took the Switches yesterday (orange discs) and replaced them with the resistors.
    I then plugged them in with a friend and was happy to see they seemed to be working much better. After some playing around I noticed that all three tweeters on the left side are cutting out. Do we know why this may be happening? This goes away if you give the amp a little more power kind of jolting it back to life. Do we know why this may be?
    If its caps I will replace them but I would have to do it bit by bit since I don't have the budget for everything listed below. Im told that the caps with the smaller values are likely the tweeter ones? If this is so i can replace all of those only and see where I'm at.

I should mention that i know this amp combination isn't the issue because I use this Dynaco/dac/preamp on my other polk without issue and it is a common ground.

Thanks guys.

TIm

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Have you cleaned the jumpers on the back? Clean them, and make sure they're tight, and making good contact
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,170
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Also check the interconnect cable as they are known to, at least in my experience, not fit tightly and give the symptoms you described, more so with the blade/blade connection than the pin/blade.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • prosuite
    Options

The simple things always get me and I think too hard. Lol. It seems to have done it.
    I now have one side that is not as crisp as the other but I can troubleshoot that.
    overall ALLOT better after doing that and taking out the switches. Thanks guys.
    Also check the interconnect cable as they are known to, at least in my experience, not fit tightly and give the symptoms you described, more so with the blade/blade connection than the pin/blade.
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,170
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I have a pair of SDA 2 that did that same thing. Drove me crazy. A great solution is to use the neutrik connector. Locks into place.

Those are great sounding speakers you have. Too lazy to read back in your post but did you replace the tweeters? If not I would do that first thing. Major improvement over the SL 2000 which are very harsh and fatiguing.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    So... Any update? pics? I may be doing this soon.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus